Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Poll: Favorite Tolkien Species

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Poll: Favorite Tolkien Species   
In the poll: Which is your favorite Tolkien species?
Which did you choose and why?
I chose Hobbit because it was an original creation and it stood for homey comfort, which in these 'interesting times'* I am growing more and more to cherish.

*I believe that ancient Chinese curse May your children live in interesting times' has come to fruition.
I chose Eagle, though my actual favourite race are the Maiar, but as the Eagles are similarly under that, I can't complain, I still have my favourite Orc Smiling Smilie

Hmm, why? I think because they are very much like the Maiar, they've seen the World, maybe helped create it. As Manwė would have use the Eagles also for different things, I like the thought that they would have many stories to tell of him and the others. From the sky you can see alot of events, you always have an audience Happy Elf Smilie

If Eagles were not on the list, I'd probably go for the Elves. You can't beat their culture, grace and pointy ears. As well as the most faeriest like women Elf With a Big Grin Smilie I like the races that live a long time, more stories to tell to be straight... Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
You've list Nazgul and Balrog, but not wizard? Is this fair?

Are the Nazgul another species? I think they are men, no matter what the "enhancement."

How insulting to the wizards!

Gandalf
The race of Man, Ilśvatar's favoured race for they had received his Gift.
I chose the race of elves. The elves are meant to represent the supreme side of human nature. They are not immortal for they could get killed, and yet they are eternal, for they are aging slow. And by living so long they are able to learn how to be good and how to live for the others.

Quote:
You've list Nazgul and Balrog, but not wizard? Is this fair?
Quote:
How insulting to the wizards!
Gandalf

Are wizards not also creatures from the listed races? Are they race or a group, Olorin?
I didn't include Wizard because I figured everyone would want one. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

I thought about adding Maiar in place of Wizards, Dragons, Eagles, and Balrog; and only added Nazgul for those of Gothic persuasion.

Provide me with a better Poll Suggestion and I'll use it next time or soon after.
Quote:
I chose Eagle, though my actual favourite race are the Maiar, but as the Eagles are similarly under that, I can't complain, I still have my favourite Orc Smiling Smilie

Grondy, in using segments of the race Maiar, has opened up the choice. I can't see why we blame him, we could just say Hobbits are Men, because they are a segment of Man. Same with this. I stick with Eagle! I assume Ama will poke her beak in here to agree with me Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Wizards! Pah! They think they're so great with their wands and swords and stuff. But who has to come and pick them up when they get stuck in a high place like foolish kittens? Us eagles, that's who! Wink Smilie

Also Orcs are thought to have their origin in men or elves, so we might end up with a very short list in the end.

But I'm not sure what to vote for yet. But I do belive Gandalf himself would have voted for the Hobbits. Happy Elf Smilie
Imho 'species' is badly chosen here. Species must be able to multiply according to their biological definition - Nazgūl, Ents, Balrogs can't do that.

I shan't comment on the Wizards.
Virumor I think you've unfairly stuck ents in that group. They can multiply and are definitely a species in my opinion. After all, weren't they created in order to counter the dwarves?
i like the creatures who live in shire..in peace... and i vote for Hobbits,sweet creatures....! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I too believe Ents are a species. And a good one, old and honorable.

Do I sense pride in your words, Amarie? Eagles are truly the noble lords of the sky. If memory serves well first eagles were spirits, sent by Manwe to watch over Arda and bring him news after the founding of Valinore. And Gandalf being a Maia (and thus also a spirit) was few times supported by eagles. None will decline the grate power and nobility of their species.

I just want to say not to take Wizards easy for they have a purpose to be in Middle Earth. Not many really know what a burden this is. And even less know what a terrible faith awaits those, who fail their tasks on purpose. Remember Saruman...?
Quote:
I too believe Ents are a species. And a good one, old and honorable

yeah your right Ammornil

Ents and Hobbits are the favorite species i see in middle earth Happy Elf Smilie .......because both species live in peace and i like Ent houses,their gatherings (Entmoot),Ent wifes etc. some thing i don't like is that Ents are too slowOrc Sad Smilie. but Quickbeam is there.......... Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Anyway Every middle earth species are well made.......Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Races of ME are meant to represent some groups in real society, so yes they are very well prepared by the Professor. I believe it is part of the success of his work.
Quote:
Races of ME are meant to represent some groups in real society, so yes they are very well prepared by the Professor.

Quite the contrary, in fact. Tolkien's works are not an allegory, which he himself states in his introduction to LOTR, regardless whether some people have compared his works with real-life historical happenings.
Propably you are right (as usual) and still there are similarities Puppy Smilie
i haven't got a new idea for a poll but isn't it time for a new poll? Wiggle Smilie