Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Christopher Lee's Honours

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Christopher Lee's Honours   
Has anyone heard Christopher Lee was awarded a knighthood in the Queens Birthday honours.
Long overdue I thought - should've gotten it years ago.
Quote:

Maybe the Queen simply preferred Count Dooku over Count Dracula.
Quote:

I very much agree!
a question from across the pond (since we don't have knighthoods here): what exactly does this do for you? I mean, besides you getting to add "sir" or "dame" to the front of your name.

-Curious-
Not aware of what knighthood does neither, but I guess it is some kind of becoming "nobility". I agree that this shouldn't have been waited so long for. (Chr. Lee is 87 if memory serves well)

Anyway I hope this is true and we have plenty more years to call him Sir Christopher Lee Happy Elf Smilie
Quote:
a question from across the pond (since we don't have knighthoods here): what exactly does this do for you? I mean, besides you getting to add "sir" or "dame" to the front of your name.

I lifted this answer from that of a similar question asked on a British History website.
Quote:
There are no financial or practical benefits to be awarded a knighthood, it is purely an honorary award. However being called Sir or Dame carries a certain amount of prestige as you suggested and can "open certain doors" that may be denied to ordinary folk. Who amongst us would refuse a knighthood if offered one?

Those who are awarded those honors and live on this, the left side of the pond, can not use the Sir or Dame before their names over here, not even if we were to buy a title from over there. I think this has something to do with "We the people..." and our founding fathers not wanting a nobility, but instead desiring a classless society. Instead we got one where money talks. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
but instead desiring a classless society

Pity I have to retract around fifty political jokes here due to the forum rules. Sad Smilie
Quote:
but instead desiring a classless society

Makes me remember my economics classes, when we learning about types of market systems. Sounds communists! :orcbiggrin:
I just watched a really old TV series recounting the adventures of Odysseus. Sir Christopher Lee appeared as Tiresias I think. I recognized him solely by virtue of his voice, as his back was turned to the camera when he first appeared. Excellent Tiresias, if you ask me.
Quote:

I wholeheartedly agree!