Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: HELP! I need good baby names!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > HELP! I need good baby names!   
hi! im going to be a mommy for the first time this summer and i want to name my baby something whimsical sounding, I love LOTR and one of the names im thinking about is Lorien is its a girl. anyways im still looking and i love elvish names as long as its something sensible, i mean i dont want to scar my child with a name that they cant stand or get picked on for! anyways with that aside im very open minded and would love some help!

I think Lorien would be a lovely name. We named our boys Connagh, Shea and Devyn

Lorien is a beautiful name!

From memory someone on here did have a baby they name Arwen? I have (real life names!) friends called Celeita and Anwen which have always seemed Tolkien-esque to me.

I quite like Elanor as well - thought she was a hobbit I think it was also a word used in elvish as well? (Someone on here will know!) and Rohan/Rowan and Arda are nice as names. Female hobbits also seemed have have flower names, so that would be easy to work with.

Congratulations!  laugh

From memory someone on here did have a baby they name Arwen? 

Yes, Arwen Elisabeth if I am not terribly mistaken. Smile Smilie

Lorien sounds perfect. Personally I have always liked the Elven names Míriel and Amarië.

Congratulatons, Fayette!! Lorien is a very pretty name and one any little girl would be proud to have. Are you going to know the gender of the baby before the blessed event? Keep us posted. laugh

oh wow thank all of you so much for the suggestions! I'm keeping a list and of all the ones i like the best I'm 14 weeks right now so I've still got a long way to go. I'm bad about flip flopping on stuff so i figured if i get a list of the names i like the most then by the time the baby get here ill have decided on one and stuck with it! i don't know what I'm having yet at least the Dr hasn't said yet but i know its a girl every time i dream about the baby its always a girl and i just know I'm having a girl. lol

If it turns out to be a boy (controversial, I know Big Smile Smilie) you could name him something not obviously inspired by LOTR but nice to tell them about when they're old enough, like Sam.

I agree with Elanor as a girl's name - it exists as a name already, and being named after a beautiful flower of Lothlorien (and I think Sam's daughter later on) would be lovely.

I quite like Elanor as well - thought she was a hobbit I think it was also a word used in elvish as well? 

Yes it's el 'star' + anor 'sun' (compare Elbereth, Minas Anor) 

Lorien is an INCREDIBLE girl's name.  I don't see how you can possibly top that.  It's not "too LotR".  Not everyone will automatically make the connection and therefore make fun of her.  It is Tolkien-sounding enough, but not too much.  Or you could just go all-out and choose Galadriel or Eowyn, but you run the risk of going too far.

Faramir if a boy.  I know that IS too-LotR, but there's not a better male name you could choose, IMO.

Btw, I like Lorien so much, that if I should ever have the opportunity to procreate and have a girl, her name's going to be Lorien.

So thanks for the idea!  You should use your own suggestion.  A+++

I was thinking about this thread before I fell asleep yesterday. Aran (king), Tari (queen) and Elen (star) came to mind. Also not too obviously from LOTR. 

Wouldn't Lorien work for a boy too? Or is it an obvious girl's name over there? (I'm Norwegian)

Then of course we have John, Ronald, Reuel, Christopher and so on. Wink Smilie

From an Elvish perspective anyway -- and as the name of a person that is -- Lorien 'seems' feminine, given Arien, Silmarien, Culurien, for examples, but even internally Irmo (a masculine name) was also called Lorien, which appears to be (in Quenya anyway) a place-name in any case, meaning something like *Dream-land.

Not that any of this matters externally of course, but even within the tale an arguably 'feminine looking name' was applied to a masculine being.

It really depends what the name means. We had a thread about the name/title Undomiel not long ago, which also appear as a female (-iel) name at first glance, but isn't. 

Every now and then various names pop in my head that I think would be cool. Since you seem to have the girl's name covered (Lorien is prettty spiffy, by the way), I'll jot down a few boy's names I've come up with:

Kalec 

This is from World of Warcraft and is the shortened name of the blue dragon Kalecgos. When he's shown in his half-human/half-elf form, he goes by Kalec.

Nier

Another video game character. I just think the name is cool.

Theodred/Theoden

LoTR names which I've liked for quite a while.

Eddard

From A Game of Thrones

I think Lorien is really pretty.Love it.

My niece of 4 years is named Elanor after Sam's daughter from LotR.I like it too.A personal name favorite is Arda.

First of all, congratulations! Lorien is a perfect name, and may she be light in this dimming world, for you and your family.

Another congratulations! I agree Lorien is an excellent name. Just another suggestion though could be Laurelin? Named after one of the two trees of Valinor, the likes of which have never been matched. It can be shortened to something like Laura or Laure (lor-ee) or something.

I love when somebody names their child something Tolkien-related. Congratulations again!

I think Quenya Laurelin does not begin with the sound in English 'lore', but more like (after l) the sound in English 'cow'. I guess some might pronounce the Primary World name Laura with this sound --seems quite possible but I usually hear it as in 'lore'.

Obviously one could pronounce it any way for a child's name though 

If it may help here are some nice translations of original female names (now adays) to elven languages (mostly Quenya).

http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/names.html

I would add a slight 'warning' here, noting what ArwenUndomiel.com has to say about their own list. And accuracy of meaning aside, it's a bit subjective, in my opinion, to add 'meaningless letters to Elvish-ize the names' as is noted in the quote preceding the names:

Note: names are not 100% accurate.The purpose of this name list is to give you a close Elvish translation of your name, without being long, unpronouncable, or "non-Elvish-sounding". Changes to original name translation are noted where possible (in the form of "lit. [literal translation]). A small number of English names are Elvish words themselves; translations for those Elvish words are given in the form of "tr. Elv.". For girls' names, I have added the feminine suffixes "iel" and "wen" to most of them, making a translation of the name Adele (meaning Noble) "Arwen" (Noble Maiden). In some cases I have added meaningless letters to "Elvish-ize" the names, the most common being "dh" and "th" (Cuguwen [Dove Maiden] doesn't sound quite Elvish, but Cugedhiel does). 

Cuguwen [Dove Maiden] doesn't sound quite Elvish, but Cugedhiel does

Yeah... that really puts the -ish in ElvISH.

I like this page here, Quenya babybook/ Quenya lapseparma: http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html if you for some reason is looking to translate a name into (neo-)Quenya.

And then look at their FAQ to learn why one should always take list like this and other translations with a grain of salt. Smile Smilie

To Galin,

While reading HOME I knew I should have read the section on etymology before anything else but I just couldn't wait. I've read the fairly limited etymology section in the Sil, but not much otherwise. For clarification, you're saying it would be pronounced more closely to l-our-a-lin? But, like you said, it can be pronounced however one wants for a name and Lorien is also a great choice. Great comment though, very good to know.

It would be the same sound as heard in Sauron too, which name I assume was pronounced correctly in the films for example. Or you can hear Tolkien's version in his laurie lantar lassie... ('golden fall the leaves' and so on) on CD. 

Or on YouTube currently (Tolkien reciting Namarie).

Fayette,

My favorite name for a girl from the Tolkien world is Ancalime, meaning brightest one in Quenya. I shall write about her in a moment in the Women of Arda section. I have always loved that name, though Lorien is very lovely as well.