Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The loveliest word

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > The loveliest word   << [1] [2] [3] >>

Ahh, i thought so,......so nice to meet you Elbereth...so good to be back among friends.....

Elen Sila Omientielvo.......(may a star shine on the hour of our meeting....)

How nice from you! I love texts in Elvish. Do you know where I can find an "elvish" dictionnary? That's to say, a website.

Oh, Nienna is one of my favourites too - the quote about her participation in Music of the Ainur is my favourite in Silmarillion. Yes, her name has some melancholy in it, I'd say it has some "calm sadness". 

I was just posting about Denethor and it reminded me of another great name: Ecthelion. I love saying it, so powerful and very royal. When I hear it I imagine a wise, old, tall man sitting on the throne with calmness and dignity, watching with his bright eyes some distant sea shore. Amazing name.

I agree Indis, how very lovely are the words you chose, and it betrays your sensitive nature.

I love the name "Eldarion"....Aragorn & Arwen's son.....incidentally, the boy who played Eldarion in the movie....he could only have been abourt 5...but what an actor...just look at that focus...funny to think, but i guess he is grown up now!!...

Lothlorien (blossom dream land) has always been one of my favourites. It flows off the tongue, and to me feels "green" and tranquil when I say it. Plus, it is one of the places I would most like to visit given the chance. I like the name Ithilien, too. Again a nice name that flows off the tongue that describes another beautiful place. For names of people, I have always liked Halbarad. It sounds very dependable.

Tolkien seems to have knack of doing that - giving nice sounding names to beautiful places and people and harsh, more gutteral names to the bad places and people. I guess that is founded in the languages he created for the races, though. The elves personified beauty and grace and their language and names reflect this. The dwarves were strong and stubborn and their language has a lot of "Kh" sounds that are much harsher on the tongue but sound strong and jagged like rock. Orcish names sound gutteral and dark, just like their race, a corruption of the elven tongue.

Hail Val. I've read many a post from you and like what I've read. Simbelmyne ( old English for Evermind ) was a white flower which grew on the burial mounds of the Kings of The Rohan and also is a beautiful word. The scene in the film featuring Gandald and Theoden and the heart destroying funeral of The Kings Son Theodred is one of the best scenes in the trilogy. I loves the use if Old English and the beautiful words spoken by Gandalf.

Thankyou Indis, very absorbing explanation.

PLEASE do not mind how many times a word is repeated. If some fifty persons love a certain word then they all have a right to say why, So repetition is perfectly fine.

I love Gondolin. I did not like the place per se and how it was described, it was too cold and I don't know primative to suit my tastes, it actually gave me a queer sensation. But the sound Gon do lin runs across my mind and mouth with such a lovely feeling of antiquity and grandness. I always see in my mind a harp of silver set upon a high square level topped rock and exquisite Elves all around and i see that one remarkable Elf, so tall and ethereal, a cool chiselled beauty but so asthetic one doesn't stare at her for her overwhelmingly beauty, instead her skill at making such music as could only come from the mind of Illuvatar.

Yes Lee Lee, Gondolin what a place and name. The City of Seven Names and a city with 7 gates. I believe that one of the meanings behind her name is The hidden City Of The Singing Water. There may be many other meanings as well. Thank goodness for Ulmo, without whom Gondolin would never have existed.

I like "Gildor Inglorion"...it sounds like Glorious Gold...he  never made it into the movies...yet I was so glad Frodo met him.....the way he teased the hobbits...."But we have no need of other company & hobbits are so dull..." haha !!

Great choices, Brego! And the scene with Theoden and Gandalf that  you were writing about is beautiful indeed. Very well played.

"Gwaihir" - one of the Eagles. Definitely reminds me of the sky, the clean and cold air above the the heighest mountains. It sounds elegant and very pure. And I love the Manwë's Eagles - there's something very spiritual in them.

And the scene in Return of the King, when you see two hobbits in agony, laying on the rock, waiting for death and in the distance you see those shapes of the magnificent eagles it always makes me cry. Everytime. It's like Eru himself went to MiddleEarth to save them. Powerful scene.

Ainulindalë. The music of the Ainur and which created Arda too. It sounds romantic, full of emotion and care. Furthermore, music creates different feelings and moods and perhaps, that's one of the reasons I found the story of the Ainur fantastic. From the music or voice we can build worlds, people, days, .... We say things that most of the times don't fit with our thoughts, not because we lie but because we usually think after speaking or because we don't find the right words. One word can change the day of a person. Just try to say something beautiful to someone who has had a bad day! It turns better for both!

I like "Gildor Inglorion"...it sounds like Glorious Gold ...

That's interesting, as Inglor likely had a 'golden' meaning. Back in Etymologies it seems to have meant 'golden heart' [with in(d) 'heart' meaning, 'inner thought' + glaur 'golden'], and if it was to be replaced by later notions found in Morgoth's Ring, the newer idea seems to be Inglor 'Gold of the Ingar' (or long version) 'the one with golden hair like that of the Ingar' (meaning the folk of Ingwe).

In the context of Morgoth's Ring, Ingalaure (S. Inglor) was the mother-name of Finarfin, though later JRRT changed his mother-name to Ingoldo. For a long time Finrod was named Inglor, until Tolkien changed his mind concerning that too!

In any case a meaning 'gold(en)' was in there somewhere

Whatever Inglor meant at the time it is probably to be replaced by later notions found in Morgoth's Ring in any case, where the new idea seems to be Inglor *Gold of the Ingar (or long version) 'the one with golden hair like that of the Ingar' (meaning the folk of Ingwe). In the context of Morgoth's Ring, Ingalaure (S. Inglor) was the mother-name of Finarfin, though later JRRT changed his mother-name to Ingoldo.  Whatever Inglor meant at the time it is probably to be replaced by later notions found in Morgoth's Ring in any case, where the new idea seems to be Inglor *Gold of the Ingar (or long version) 'the one with golden hair like that of the Ingar' (meaning the folk of Ingwe). In the context of Morgoth's Ring, Ingalaure (S. Inglor) was the mother-name of Finarfin, though later JRRT changed his mother-name to Ingoldo. Inglor meant at the time it is probably to be replaced by later notions found in Morgoth's Ring in any case, where the new idea seems to be Inglor *Gold of the Ingar (or long version) 'the one with golden hair like that of the Ingar' (meaning the folk of Ingwe). In the context of Morgoth's Ring, Ingalaure (S. Inglor) was the mother-name of Finarfin, though later JRRT changed his mother-name t

Ahh Indis yes truly beautiful. The eagles are simply wonderful and the music which runs with the scene is my fav from the soundtrack. That Child Soprano soars like an eagle as well. Interesting that Manwe sent three eagles, perhaps one for Smegol, Lee Lee's favourite character. Elbereth! Wonderful word Ainulindalė another mouthful, and another lovely word.

Ainulindalë. The music of the Ainur and which created Arda too

I love that one too! It's such a mysterious word and is fittingly for the Creation of Arda! Aqualonde is another of my Favourite words! I guess it has more to do with how beautiful is sounds than anything else!

Ainulindalë.

You know, when I read The Silmarillion for the first I was simply amazed by this idea - that the world was created by Music. I simply cannot describe in words how amazed I was. Because the music (especially the orchestral one - as I said somewhere else before) is really the epitome of creativeness for me. In my head I can't really find more creative activity than creating music, so a composer is probably the most beautiful profession for me - I have so much respect for their craft. Creating the world from music was probably the reason I fell in love with Silmarillion so early (and I don't find it easy to read and understand it).

Brego, the scene that we were discussing is one of my favourites on the soundtrack too. It is very interesting what you said about saving Smeagol. Never thought about that. Wow, so many things to remember and analyze, I wonder how many still wait to be spotted and discussed.

Ada (ah dah) and Naneth, father and mother are so lovely to me. I feel teary eyed when I say them.

Even though I prefer soft sounds, almost like a whisper, I do like the sound of the name Celeborn. It evokes mystical mountains and great trees of moving beauty and strength and beauty of Elfkind.

Ohh speaking of soft sounds which indeed I love has anyone mentioned Mithrandir ? Or Olorin? Funny how Gandalf has two beautiful names. There are probably more if anyone remembers.

Falco, hello and as Bilbo Baggins of the Shire says in the movie to Gandalf, welcome , welcome.

That was brilliant and very insightful a post on my beloved Samwise. He and Eowyn mean the world to me because they suffered so deeply for the love of others and never 'left their posts' as it were , almost unto death. I love and admire them so very very much. And even though she was a shield maiden as Aragorn called her she was really in a very humble and nothing place in her life, waiting for an uncle who was dead though he was alive to rise up and bring the noble household to what it once was. Not allowed to join her beloved brother, mother, and now cousin dead, no husband-she was so plain and simple by way of circumstance, and yet all could count on her even after her heart felt shattered at the words of Aragorn who was long ago betrothed to lady Arwen.

And that is why both the names Sam and Eowyn are so lovely to my ears and heart.

Ada (ah dah) and Naneth, father and mother are so lovely to me. I feel teary eyed when I say them.

Lovely indeed. I can imagine children saying them.

Ohh speaking of soft sounds which indeed I love has anyone mentioned Mithrandir ? Or Olorin? Funny how Gandalf has two beautiful names. There are probably more if anyone remembers.

Incanus and Tharkûn are nice too. Maybe it's because I love Gandalf so much, and I know that they are Gandalf's other name, but I like all of the above. Tharkûn - there's something very strong and skarp (in a good way) in the Dwarves' language - I like it, it sounds a bit exotic when compared to Quenya or Sindarin, doesn't it? It suits my view about the Dwarves.

I like "Vinyamar" - it is "New Home" in Quenya. Even if the name has nothing to do it somehow reminds me of the sea (and the city was builton the shores). Saying that word almost makes me able to feel the cold, fresh sea-breeze.

Indis, you are so right when you say a composer is an admirable job. It's wonderful to see how a person can create with his/her mind and hands something which is completely new. I use to write, play guitar (not too often) and paint and all I can say about that is that when you are making such things you put your whole attention to that and you find yourself in the most pure state. The world around you doesn't really matter but what is being done. It's indescribable!

As for the music of the movie, at the beginning when Gandalf comes to the Shire and everyone is happy because of Bilbo's party. That is very touching, it makes me feel as if I was a child again and can feel joy with those little things: the fireworks. There are more music pieces which I love from the film, that's the reason why I have a track as ring tone for my mobile....

Coming back to the words, Mithrandir is pretty beautiful. It sounds mysterious and strong too. A serious name for someone who has power to decide, thoughtful. As I write this I'm thinking about Tolkien words for people or things. Most of the names for beautiful things have a, e and i which sounds easily when spoken. However, most of the names for calling terrible things have o and u. I've never thought about it before, it happened right now. Just a comment.

Lalaith, laughter, it makes me smile.

Lalaith

All of you make me smile. Hope all is well and good where ever in Arda you call home. Today is cold in Melbourne and wet. The first chills of a late Autumn . It reminds me of the passages regarding Eowyn and Faramir in the court yards of the Houses Of Healing in the heights of Minas Tirith. It was an icy mountainous wind which chilled Eowyn to the bone, until her heart was healed by Faramir. What a lovely gentle series of lines by our beloved Professor.

Quote:
As for the music of the movie, at the beginning when Gandalf comes to the Shire and everyone is happy because of Bilbo's party. That is very touching, it makes me feel as if I was a child again and can feel joy with those little things: the fireworks.

I know what you mean, Elbereth. That first view of the Shire as Gandalf and Frodo ride into it is very touching. I think I had waited so long for the film to be made, seeing the Shire just as I had imagined it brought a lump to my throat. I also find Theoden's speach to his riders at the Battle of Pelinnor Fields is also very moving.

Back to topic - I like the names of the early Noldor Lords; Fingolfin, Finarfin, Fingon, Finrod Felagund and Glorfindel.

Bilbo. It sounds cheerful, alive, simple, etc. It is the perfect word for a child when it's at the very beginning of its speaking period. B-I-L-B-O. Very funny!

Lalaith - yes, I forgot about this one, and it definitely made me smile when I read it for the first time. it reminds me of small children who are learning how to speak, and they speak mostly in gibberish. So cute. That's funny, becuase the word probably has the same effect on me as "Bilbo" on Elbereth Wink Smilie

All of you make me smile. Hope all is well and good where ever in Arda you call home. Today is cold in Melbourne and wet. The first chills of a late Autumn . It reminds me of the passages regarding Eowyn and Faramir in the court yards of the Houses Of Healing in the heights of Minas Tirith. It was an icy mountainous wind which chilled Eowyn to the bone, until her heart was healed by Faramir. What a lovely gentle series of lines by our beloved Professor.

We have fully blossomed spring in Europe now! I'd say in Sam's words from the movie: "It'll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields... and eating the first of the strawberries with cream.: Smile Smilie

Ahh Spring.  Indis Spring is the best season in Melbourne.  Fresh, Clean and full of growth.

The 'Gladden Fields' seems magical and mysterious.

Oh.it's hard to chose between so many wonderful words .but I've always loved Galadriel.Mithrandir  and Mellon of course Smile Smilie Amarie

As for the music of the movie, at the beginning when Gandalf comes to the Shire and everyone is happy because of Bilbo's party. That is very touching, it makes me feel as if I was a child again and can feel joy with those little things: the fireworks.

I believe that is the Soundtrack entitled "Concerning Hobbt." It is my favourite and a very touching masterpiece. It would sooth even the most angry person, and hearing it while looking at the beauty of the Shire with its oneness with nature (in the movie) is simply a burst of joy to the heart! I think that scene with the music is forever engraved in most of our hearts Big Smile Smilie

I like "Beorn" (which means "a warrior/a hero" i Old English and is a real name in Scandinavia. Reminds me of strength and wildness  - but in a good way - there's no brutality in it. Just a primal force.

And Asfaloth - Glorfindel's horse. When you say it it flows so softly that you can almost see a shape of a running horse. Asfaloth. What a melody.

What about Withywindle and Brandywine or Baranduin. Beautifully sculptured words for the rivers of the Shire.

I have always felt a certain something in the word Lalaith. I really don't know what it does for me. It's just lovely, beautiful, like I can see whole worlds of endless woods, grasslands, full of wildlife, scattered with the odd, brilliant colors of wildflowers, and the light, trickle of gentle streams, sparkling in the soft, setting sun, just at the mention of the word. Lalaith.

Funny how Tolkeien uses beautiful words in pairs. Laureline and Telperion. Minas Tirith Isil and Anor. Arwen and Ellesar.

Withywindle was on my mind someday, while I was looking at this thread. I didn't wrote it then, but I'm glad you did. Withywindle reminds me of an abstruse and mysterious place - maybe because I remember the music played in the backround while some years ago I had a game based on LOTR. When I see the name I hear the music from the game.

Brego - yes, some names are complementary to each other in some way. Hard to explain it, but they are perfect together. Luthien Tinuviel. Aragorn Elessar. Or Amon Sul - Amon Hen. Amazing.

Brego is right, the words in couples are pretty beautiful. It is as if once you listen to them, you cannot separate them because one is together with the other. I mean the first one is beautiful and gives you the idea of something, but the second gives more strength, it says something else about the character or place. Good point I didn't think about it before.

For a place I find Rauros special. Why? It makes me imagine a long quick river, with power and also a sort of magical attraction. A long its way there can be calm shores with those rolling stones and trees that are reflected on the water, a bit further you can lay down in a small hidden sandy shore just staring at the sky and listening to the water flowing, then as you follow the river you will find the high scary falls in which the sound of water can be like a threatening storm getting near. Wow, how many things for only one river!

Lovely guys.

In whatever language Tolkien used it for me a supremely lovely word is the one that comforted our dear Sam in the end.........HOME.

Elbereth, I completely agree with what you wrote about Rauros - I'm not sure if I already didn't post that word (since we're constantly adding some new ones). It definitely is a perfect name for a waterfall - strong and loud, and sounds so clear and fresh when you say it. Very nice.

Agreed on Rauros. A powerful name. You can feel the rocks and ridge holding back Ulmo's water. I think that The Argonath has a similar feel to it. As the Kings of old stand guard over Rauros. The words, as usual, seem to work together as they stand guarding the realm of Gondor. Beautiful work Mr Tolkien.

The word Argonath truly frightens me, to me it speaks of noble men constantly fighting the enemy and the soberness and fatigue of life. It just makes me feel uneasy.

I on the other hand really love the Argonath and what they stand for, the wisdom and strength of old which diminishes with the passage of time but is not altogether lost. Those who are wise enough see it for what it is while others are intimidated, maybe like one would be compared to the wisdom of an elder person (or used to be, )

Thorin Celebrates his 4,500th Post surprise

Congrats on yr posts Thorin! Teyr thankardas Thorin Oakenshield! Re the Argonath, I see what you mean Lee Lee it is a rather strong brutish name. I guess I think it's beautiful because it's associated now with that first visual and associated music of it in the film. Still brings tears....

Congratulations Thorin! you have been working hard in PT, haven't you? hahaha. How many posts!!!

Regarding to the Argonaths I find them scaring but wise. You know? it's a kind of warrior and wizard, I don't really know why I have such idea of them but it is what they make me feel when I saw them in the film. The Guardians of the water falls... don't look beyond the rocks in the abyss...

Argonath seems so... mannish for me. It has a Sindarin etymology, but it definitely doesn't remind me of melodious, smooth elvish words. But I find some strength, some resolvedness in it and I like it. I'd say that it wouldn't be easy to sing, but it would suit the war cry. It reminds me of Aragorn, Arnor, Gondor, Numenor, Arathorn... Those words have a sound that I find defining when it comes to Men.

Eruanna, grace. To me is sounds like the very breath of Eru being breathed into his creations.

Beautiful Lee Lee. Murmė or slumber is a beautiful word too.

Manwë is the name I liked from the moment I read it for the first time. Definitely one of my favourite names in the books. There is something in that word, some kind of harmony that I find hard to describe. I find it a bit exotic too - even if I cannot explain why.

When it comes to "exotic" words I think Máhanaxar is on top of my list though. Sounds very ancient to me. Reminds me of Egypt - I don't know why.

Those are awesome. I think that word sounds very Egyptian as well. Wonder why.

Ent. Perhaps it is not a beautiful word but it's strange. What does it come to your minds when you pronounce it? (if you wouldn't have know what it is, of course) To me, it makes me think about a powerful spirit. I cannot say if it's a good or evil one but with power, wisdom and even a bit scary. Something you fear but in a way makes you feel curious and makes you approach to it in order to discover it. The attraction for the unknown.

<< [1] [2] [3] >>