Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Thoughts on short films??

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > Thoughts on short films??   

So let's put legal stuff aside for now, but just thought I'd ask other people's opinions on seeing something like a short film that re-enacts stories from Tolkien? Instead of a movie it would just be a short little something, maybe the meeting of Thingol and Melian, or Luthien singing to Morgoth, or Turin's final moments with Nienor? Maybe in the vicinity of 10-45 minutes each.

Personally I watch the movies to see ME come to life. The story changes are expected so they don't bother me as much. But truthfully I want to see what really happened. I think this would be awesome and something that can be done by aspiring filmmakers or film students for projects. Basic camera technology today can be great, especially with the right lighting, so they don't have to look like cheap homemade films either. Might have to start small and avoid things that might require a lot of money or CGI, but I still think it would be cool. And over time various events of ME will be created AND, because they're short and meant to be faithful, they would be an accurate telling of the story. So over time they'd accumulate and we'd have a telling of the Sillmarillion (which of course is way too long for a movie)?

So just thought I'd see if other people would watch these. Would it be cool to watch or just shameless? Like do you think you'd actually go out of your way to see them? I don't see them making any money, maybe posted on a website or something and over time, when a whole story is told, maybe put them on a dvd or something. The Estate can have the profits because, again, I just want to see ME come to life! There's gotta be a way other than waiting for a director to besmirch the canon that is JRR Tolkien...

So I can tell there is tons of interest in the idea!!

But actually I found out someone has already done something like this and it's supposed to be great. It's called "The Hunt For Gollum" and apparently consists of scenes from the appendices, taking place between Gollum being captured by Sauron and before Frodo leaves the Shire.

Can't post a link so just do a quick Google search for it. "The Hunt for Gollum." But it's pretty much exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in my original post and, with over 12,000,000 views, I guess they would be appreciated!!