Login | Register
 
Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: What do you think would happen if Sauron got the ring?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > General Discussion > What do you think would happen if Sauron got the ring?   << [1] [2]
Dunno... I mean, there's always good and evil... How could we name smth good when there's nothing to compare it with?!

And remember Manwe's and Mandos' words in the Silm:

Quote:
Evil may yet be good to have been... and yet remain evil.


Namarie!
Well, losts of evil things. Sauron would return to power... Orcs and Uruk-Hai would run amuck on the planet... Thousands would die... the Elves wouldn't be around to join with the humans this time, so it would be an eternity of dictatorship...well prolly not dictatorship, because Sauron would kill everyone and the there'd be no one there to dictate...

Edited: October 17, 2004 @ 7:14 p.m.

YAY 500 POSTS!!


YAY, SEVEN HUNDRED AND FORTY ONE posts!!!!! I agree, Icey. Well done about the 500 posts thing. But can you write five hundred in tengwar? I feel proud because not only have I 740 posts, I can write it in Tengwar. Cool, eh? I feel proud.
Amarië moved that the tegwar chat to the tengwar thread: tengwar charts
if he got the ring then maybe the valar might fight against him like they did to melkor
I agree Darklord sauron I think the Valar would come ad fight sauron....Sauron would hav no chance whatsoever, I don't know if Sauron would be frightful or honored,hmmm...
I don't know about the Valar... I mean, yeah, they're nice guys, yet they're just the governors of Arda, making sure Eru's plans are fulfilled. If Sauron would dare too much (like the Numenoreans did), they might fight him back... If not, they might not interfere; after all, Aman is no longer in the Circles of this World...

Anyway, this is just a thought. Sauron would not rule eternally; no one does, no matter how strong and invincible he might seem at some point. Every empire which rise will someday crumble... It's the inexorability of time, I guess.

Namarie!
Without the Valar's intervention, i think Sauron would indeed rule for all eternity.

Who would defeat a Sauron with fully recovered power, with almost no Elves and no Numenorean blood left? I think Elfies in shining armor would be needed to save the day, just as in the War of Wrath.

It would be possible for an army to return to Middle-Earth : after all, anyone with the grace of the Valar, can-- look at the Istari, and also Bilbo, Sam, Gimli and Frodo taking the straight road.

Lucky this wasn't in Eru's masterplan.
I'd say...

Quote:
Dunno... I mean, there's always good and evil... How could we name smth good when there's nothing to compare it with?!

Because our conscience tells us it is good!!! Good will always be good, and evil will always be evil. The DEGREE or how evil/good is relative, at least how I see it. For example, if you see a white sheep in a field, you think it is white, but if you see the same sheep in a field of snow, it looks dirty.
Quote:

And remember Manwe's and Mandos' words in the Silm:

Quote:
Evil may yet be good to have been... and yet remain evil.

Because it caused something good, is that what you mean? 'Oft evil will shall evil mar.' It is still evil will, but it caused something good.

Sorry, i just HAD to put my twobob in.
I think that sauron would gain control over all of middle-earth, but the Valar would not come and fight. I think that there would be a way that the 'good guys' will stay alive, hiding and running for a long time and eventually standing up to fight against him. And eventually win.
Maybe Eru would have performed an Etch-o-Sketch end of the world, shaking everything up and starting again. Or maybe he would have destroyed everything and committed it all to the void while he thought up another means of entertainment.

Well, maybe its time for Eru to implement his 'Plan G', because what we've got now doesn't seem to be working all that well. Super Scared Smilie
I think if he gets it, he'll have a take over the world tea party and invite all his evil friends! Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
At some point, since everything was Illuvatars' creation, no matter how dark and hopeless, at some point I believe someone would be sent and someone(s) kept safe from complete harm through Illuvatar that would trip up and take advantage of Sauron and the tide would turn.
As Gandalf said in the movie "so at last we come to it, the great battle of the age" or something like that. This sort of thing seems to go in cycles and for a while evil seems to reign big time and many many perish and the rest give up and allow the evil to tyrannize them. And then one day that seems the very same as the dreary ones before, someone is born or decides enough is enough and though just a seed of thought and hope it spreads. In time it comes forth and under great upheaval bears the fruit of freedom once more.
I just don't believe evil can win forever.
Quote:
I just don't believe evil can win forever.

But they never win in the end. They may win a few skirmishes, but they only lose in the end due to one or another clichéd or unexpected twist.

It would really be refreshing if somebody would write a work of speculative fiction where 'evil' would prevail for once, despite the efforts of the 'good' guys and gals.
Quote:
Virumor
It would really be refreshing if somebody would write a work of speculative fiction where 'evil' would prevail for once, despite the efforts of the 'good' guys and gals.

Haven't ya ever watched a few Horror movies? I'm not a fan of themselves, but I still watch the occasional one, but there are quite a few out there where the good guys get done in.
Maybe, but I was explicitly talking about books...
Quote:
Virumor
Maybe, but I was explicitly talking about books...

Ummm... then how about horror books? I've never read any horror books, but i'm sure they exist. Wink Smilie

If Sauron won back the ring the Elves would either flee M-E or die in the process, all the men would either be thralls or killed off and dwarves would just be killed off (I couldn't imagine them being thralls.) All other innocent living creatures would perish too.

If Sauron won back the ring it would be the beginning of the end... Unless of course i came to the rescue.

If the the Elves from Valinor and such came over to fight back for M-E Sauron and his army wouldn't stand a chance though.
If Sauron had got the Ring back he would have indeed destroyed the Gondorians and Rohan Men first.
Once they had fled north his attention would be layed onto Lorien. Galadriel could perhaps make a stand for a while but would eventually either have to retreat to Rivendell or the Grey Havens.
Next the Dwarves and Men of Erebor and Dale would be driven West by the advancing Easterlings. They would begin a long journey to there homes on the Ered Luin, Blue mountains.
Next Sauron would advance forces across Rohan and attempt to assail Isengard.
Next it is possible that Sauron would send a legion of Sauthrons west across the Land of Gondor and attack the southmost retreats of the free peoples near the wastes west of Isengard.
Next with the growing power of Dol Guldur and the immediate eastern threat of the Easterlings the Elves of Mirkwood and and the Beornings slightly south would have to retreat over the Misty mountains possibly to Rivendell.
Next the armies of Gondor and Rohan who, once retreated from there original realms, may try and re-establish a vague version of Arnor. There southernmost defences would be assailed by Southrons and forces of Mordor that come from over the plains of Rohan and turn north at the ending of the Misty Mountains.
Then an Army, long in mustering would be gathered and sent NorthWest from Dol Guldur and would advance over the High Pass and descend on Rivendell and besiage it for long. But eventually it will fall but not before some of the lords there had manged to escape via a tunnel they had built previous when the reign of Sauron appeared inevitable.
Next Sauron seeks to bring down the newly founded kingdom of Arnor (a remnant of what it used to be). He would succeed. The Men would then flee with the most sensible of the Hobbits West and seek refuge with the Elves of the Grey havens and those who have fled west. All of which now the Elves are lingering not willing to entirely desert Men to the threat of Sauron, even though they know it is hopeless in the hearts.
Some Hobbits that were ignorant or simply refused to leave there land of peace would be captured and taken south to Isengard - the newly establsihed western fortress of Mordor.
Lastly Sauron would make his fanal battle attacking the Grey haves and the Blue mountains from the South and West amnd the Elves would set sail and, greiving, leave Men and the land they loved to its Doom. The Dwarves however mange to resist longer but eventually cave in to the inexuastible attack that they are besieged by.

Sauron could not attack Valinor becuase it was not in Arda. At the fall of Numenor it had 'Been taken out of the circles of the World'. Sauron could neither reach it, nor would of if he could.

At the final dominion of Middle Earth I think Morgoth would now do what he had been planning to do far in the future. However he would not brake through the Door to the Night into Valinor to wage the mother of Battles. Instead he would brake through the Gates of Morning (in the furthest East) and seek to somehow come into Middle-earth through the unguarded Eastern wastes.
There eventually he would come to the Dark Tower of Barad dur, unhindered, for the Orcs know who has come and flee in all direction, or fall to worship where they stand. Thus Morgoth would come to Barad-dur itself. And Sauron out of fear may try to prevent his passing through his gates but Morgoth would set forth his power, so great that even the mighty gates of Barad ur could not withstand and he would come at last to the throne of Sauron. There Sauron would bow once again and forswear eternal allegience to Melkor but not without receiving the punishment Morgoth had long devised for him.

(For those of you who did not know what I was talking about in the last part I suggest learning about the Dagor Dagorath, The last Battle and the Day of Doom which comes at the end of the World).

However none of this would ever come to pass becuase Eru has not planned it so.
Very interesting subject.
I think ill write a book about that.
Quote:
If Sauron had got the Ring back he would have indeed destroyed the Gondorians and Rohan Men first.
Once they had fled north his attention would be layed onto Lorien. Galadriel could perhaps make a stand for a while but would eventually either have to retreat to Rivendell or the Grey Havens.
Next the Dwarves and Men of Erebor and Dale would be driven West by the advancing Easterlings. They would begin a long journey to there homes on the Ered Luin, Blue mountains.
Next Sauron would advance forces across Rohan and attempt to assail Isengard.
Next it is possible that Sauron would send a legion of Sauthrons west across the Land of Gondor and attack the southmost retreats of the free peoples near the wastes west of Isengard.
Next with the growing power of Dol Guldur and the immediate eastern threat of the Easterlings the Elves of Mirkwood and and the Beornings slightly south would have to retreat over the Misty mountains possibly to Rivendell.
Next the armies of Gondor and Rohan who, once retreated from there original realms, may try and re-establish a vague version of Arnor. There southernmost defences would be assailed by Southrons and forces of Mordor that come from over the plains of Rohan and turn north at the ending of the Misty Mountains.
Then an Army, long in mustering would be gathered and sent NorthWest from Dol Guldur and would advance over the High Pass and descend on Rivendell and besiage it for long. But eventually it will fall but not before some of the lords there had manged to escape via a tunnel they had built previous when the reign of Sauron appeared inevitable.
Next Sauron seeks to bring down the newly founded kingdom of Arnor (a remnant of what it used to be). He would succeed. The Men would then flee with the most sensible of the Hobbits West and seek refuge with the Elves of the Grey havens and those who have fled west. All of which now the Elves are lingering not willing to entirely desert Men to the threat of Sauron, even though they know it is hopeless in the hearts.
Some Hobbits that were ignorant or simply refused to leave there land of peace would be captured and taken south to Isengard - the newly establsihed western fortress of Mordor.
Lastly Sauron would make his fanal battle attacking the Grey haves and the Blue mountains from the South and West amnd the Elves would set sail and, greiving, leave Men and the land they loved to its Doom. The Dwarves however mange to resist longer but eventually cave in to the inexuastible attack that they are besieged by.

Sauron could not attack Valinor becuase it was not in Arda. At the fall of Numenor it had 'Been taken out of the circles of the World'. Sauron could neither reach it, nor would of if he could.

At the final dominion of Middle Earth I think Morgoth would now do what he had been planning to do far in the future. However he would not brake through the Door to the Night into Valinor to wage the mother of Battles. Instead he would brake through the Gates of Morning (in the furthest East) and seek to somehow come into Middle-earth through the unguarded Eastern wastes.
There eventually he would come to the Dark Tower of Barad dur, unhindered, for the Orcs know who has come and flee in all direction, or fall to worship where they stand. Thus Morgoth would come to Barad-dur itself. And Sauron out of fear may try to prevent his passing through his gates but Morgoth would set forth his power, so great that even the mighty gates of Barad ur could not withstand and he would come at last to the throne of Sauron. There Sauron would bow once again and forswear eternal allegience to Melkor but not without receiving the punishment Morgoth had long devised for him.

(For those of you who did not know what I was talking about in the last part I suggest learning about the Dagor Dagorath, The last Battle and the Day of Doom which comes at the end of the World).

However none of this would ever come to pass becuase Eru has not planned it so.

Somebody's been playing a bit too much Battle for Middle-earth.

You should go out more, pal.
Nah I just give a bit more useful information than you do Vir. Boring Smilie

True I do play Battle for Middle-earth (and you do to probably, seeing as you mentioned it), but that in no way effects the types of posts I construct.

My post was typed with what I believe would be Sauron's foremost strategic plans on how to take Middle-earth. Perhaps you should read a little more and get to know the places better and how and what places need to be taken first and what to leave until enough forces are built up...

...pal.
Oh you two... Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie If you boys don't play nice there will be no dessert after dinner.
But mom, I'm having so much fun...
I detest the way the Battle of middle-Earth puts so much emphasis on the bloody fighting parts. I mean, the people in my class who know of Aragorn dismiss him as being inferior to Legolas just because in that game, Aragorn is apparently a "sucky fighter".

Anyhow, I think that if Sauron got the ring, he would do as he said, destroy men, and destroy elves and the Dwavres would fight against him, but they'd be made to work as slaves or they'd probably just flee farther north or east, where Sauron might get them years later. The elves might fight, but I think that they'd really rather just take the ship and go back to Valinor. Of course, for those who don't go in time, or who can't go, like Galadriel, there will be either a swift death, or captivity in Sauron's dungeons, where he just might turn them into some hideous things like the Orcs. And that's the worst thing I can picture happening to them. Men will probably just fight, and die, and when all the strong-willed ones are dead, they'll become slaves to Sauron.

But the bottom line is "nothing lasts forever", and neither will Sauron's power. Some wizard (maybe Saruman) will fashion something even more powerful or maybe they'll just become more powerful Sauron and kill him. Or, if they can't then other Ainur can. The Ents, the Eagles, and others can certainly team up against him, or team up as an embassy back to beg pity from the Valar, who just might send another force back to Middle-Earth and defeat Sauron.

Anyways, those are just my thoughts. I realize that they could change if somebody convinces me to. They're not very well-founded speculations.
Quote:
Cloveress
I detest the way the Battle of middle-Earth puts so much emphasis on the bloody fighting parts.

Hence the name "Battle for Middle-Earth?" :p
Quote:
I mean, the people in my class who know of Aragorn dismiss him as being inferior to Legolas just because in that game, Aragorn is apparently a "sucky fighter".

Well, Legolas is definitely the better archer.

Quote:
Hence the name "Battle for Middle-Earth?" :p

Not if they'd battled it out on the chessboard, or on a Twister mat, or Hungry Hippos.
Quote:
I detest the way the Battle of middle-Earth puts so much emphasis on the bloody fighting parts.


That is why its 'Battle for Middle-earth'...Or would you rather the entire game consisted of the four hobbits playing frizby in the garden of Bag end?
Wait, is this about "Battle for Middle-Earth" or what would happen if Sauron got the ring???

I would think that if Sauron had caught Frodo and Sam inside Mordor, had the ring taken back to him, then the Captain's of the West would have fallen, they had a tiny force compared to the masses of troops that were constantly flooding to Isenmouthe (as Frodo and Sam had seen and heard). Therefore, Gandalf would have either fallen or near enough, as he would know that Frodo (and Sam) would have died and the ring was recovered by Sauron, so he would know that his mission on Middle-Earth would have failed, the free peoples of ME that he was guiding have lost their kings (only Stewards and a certain sister-daughter left to rule in it's stead). As the force of Sauron would have wiped out the army of the Captains of the West, there would be hardly any men to defend the White City and the rest of Gondor and Rohan. The hobbits of the Shire were already under rule by ruffians and as Frodo and Sam, Merry and Pippin (as they would have died too at Dagorland) have fallen, then no-one would have sorted out the Shire, but if Sauron did have the ring, it wouldn't have mattered if the Shire was sorted out, it would be taken over. Once ME is completely taken over, Sauron would have ruled for a good lot of years, hundreds maybe, but I think he would get bored of it, and greed would make him look to other places, probably the next big place, like Beleriand. He may even have won, but like most rulers of history, they always want more. But, as someone said, every rule and power has an end.
If PJ's Sauron would have gotten his Ring back, nothing would have happened at all.

A huge eyeball can't wear a ring, can it? It can apparently only float and provide one mean glare.

Makes you wonder what the whole fuzz was about, really. Silly Frodo and Samwise!
Ya but damn is the glare ever evil! It's almost as if it's staring right at you!
It looked too much like an peeled overripe orange to me to be really scary.
Had Sauron taken the Ring from Frodo, Iluvatar would have activated Plan D, or would that be Plan E, I forget now. Anyway, with the passage of time (like a hundred or a thousand years) a new hero/heroine would have reared her ugly head to once more accept the challenge of the quest to bring the light back to Arda. Teacher Smilie
Quote:
Anyway, with the passage of time (like a hundred or a thousand years) a new hero/heroine would have reared her ugly head to once more accept the challenge of the quest to bring the light back to Arda.

Yes, a hero named Eragon..
Puh-leez....Let's not get Eragon tangled up in Middle-Earth... I don't even see what's so good about Eragon. I could barely finish the first book and I borrowed the second book for nothing since I didn't read it at all.

And I hope that if he somehow does enter Arda, Sauron or even better, Melkor, or even better, Ungoliant could gobble the dragon-rider up.
Quote:
I don't even see what's so good about Eragon. I could barely finish the first book and I borrowed the second book for nothing since I didn't read it at all.

Maybe the fact that it is so disconcertingly familiar to LOTR... *rolleyes*
Hey fellows, Amras here! Personally, I think that quickly Sauron would destroy all the dwarves, slay most of the Elves that did not flee, and enslave the people of Rohan. With the Men of Gondor, he would not make them his thralls because of their Dunedaic ancestry. After a bitter, short bloody conflict the Numenoreans would be gone. With all resistance futile, Sauron would catch and breed[ not just breed on their own] dragons due to the power of the ring. The only real hope when dealing with this escapade would be the eagles, or directly Gwaihir himself. Manwe, who is their king would answer their prayer for deliverance from Gorthaur. Then, before pr if the Valar come, the haradrim and Eastrons would have full reign on Gondor and Rohan. If i was Sauron, i would slay everyman west of Rhun, maybe except Bill Ferny.
  << [1] [2]