Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Elvish/Hobbit Name Generator

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Advertisements > Elvish/Hobbit Name Generator   
I am posting the URL for Chris Wetherell's Elvish/Hobbit name generator for any who are looking for this. I know it is in one of the thread in the forum but this is the fastest and easiest way to get the information to you again. (I have a slight tendency to be lazy)

Hobbit Name Generator

Enjoy! Happy Elf Smilie
Good website! Smile Smilie
My hobbit name is Ruby Boffin of Whitfurrows and my Elvish name is Nessa Mithrandír...
I don't know why I haven't done this before. My Elvish name is Camthalion Táralóm, while my hobbit name is Ponto Gamwich of the Bree Gamwiches.

I am cirdan and a brandybuck!!
My Elven name is Angrod Telemnar

But when l fill that name in the generator it is

Beren Sáralondë

Hmmmm....... odd
I am Earane Celebrindal with funny quiggles over the 'a's and 'e' in Earane but I don't know how to do those on my keyboard. Shame, because it looks lovely with the quiggles.

Polly Bumbleroot of Fair Downs has a more down to earth ring to it.
You mean Eäranë? For ä, put Num Lock on, hold Alt, and punch in 132 on the number pad on the right of the keyboard, then release Alt. Do the same for ë, but with 137 instead.

When I do that with my full name, I get Angrod Súrion. My nickname and my last name gives me Aranel Súrion, and my pen name gives me Aerandir Telrúnya. Angrod is the name of Galadriel's elder brother and is Sindarin for Iron-metal, and Súrion is Quenya for Son of the Wind. Aranel is Sindarin for Princess, but also Quenya for noble star. Curiously, it appears as a title of Dior, Beren and Lúthien's son. I think I'll scrap that one. Aerandir was a mariner that accompanied Eärendil, and his name is Sindarin for Sea-wanderer. Telrúnya might have a Quenya meaning as perhaps Last Red Flame, or Roof (of) Red Flame. I believe it was inspired by talrunya, which means the sole of the foot.

Most of these names aren't really original, so I'll just stick with Tyrhael Idhraen (Powers (of) Wisdom / Wandering Heart), or some derivative, for my Sindarin name, of which the surname will probably change several times anyway.
well, my Elvish name is Inwë Sáralondë and my Hobbit name is Esmerelda Burrows
i like those names :P
Mine are......Robert- elf-Eol Ringeril
hobbit-Grigory Sackville-Baggins
I dondt really like the Eol or the Sackville part. Bad memories ....hehehe
Wolf Smilie I just found my name In elvish but first thanks rednell for the link

my real name is Ireth Celebrindal I like it
and my nick name is Failariël Ancalímon
This site is really cool Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Nice names!
Thanks too, Rednell for the link. It was a fun site to visit.

My elven name is Ea mane Miriel, and my hobbit name is Bramblerose Toadfoot of Frogmorton (not exactly red carpet material!). Couldn't get the squiggles right on the elven name though.
yo to get the squiggles I just copy and paste it
Nice name though I can picture it Ea mane Miriel The Amazing mesmerizing Inspiring (Cant think of anymore ing's)Whatever you do best Tongue Smilie Ha Ha Ha Smilie

Wolf Smilie Tiger_Eyes

See y'all Kiss Smilie
Hehe, even that name generator couldn't take my real name in!!!

Look what it gave me:

Elvish name : Amd�r Fëfalas
Hobbit name : Merimac Overhill of Nobottle

Damn ! I'm laughing so hard !!
my elvish name is...Ireth Ancalimë
my hobbit name is...Primula Knotwise of Michel Delving
Nice find Nell.My hobbit name is Mungo Sundybanks of Frogmorton, and my elvish name is Finrod Telemnar
My elvish name is: Mablung Celebrindal

my hobbit name is: Togo Bumbleroot of Fair Downs
I am:
Alasse Telemnar in elvish(is it Quenya or Sindarin that they give you, does anyone know?), and
Prisca Sandybanks of Frogmorton. Hey, I aran, do you think we're related?

Thanks for the great link!
Hey! Just found another name generator at www.lotruk.com It gives you a lot more names, and other info.
Here's what it said about me:

If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Meraella Sandyman
and if you were a (female) Man, your name would be Onigosien
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Legiodith
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Mwnoic
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Pourk
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Murdered Priest
and your sword would be called Glamdrus
This is my elvish name its pretty cool: Fëanáro Séregon

c ya
Laurelindhe, the elvish names seem to be Quenya. Mine is Oropher Carnesir.

In the Shire I am known as Mongo Loamsdown, of Deephallow.

Just call me Mungo Jerry

Wiggle Smilie
Hey nice find Arwen! i tried out that other name generator @ www.lotruk.com (on the menu scroll down near bottom, and it's under 'Fun LOTR stuff'

If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Periappi Noakes
and if you were a (male) Man, your name would be Deor
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Thronduil
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Dalir
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Prudish
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Zoo
and your sword would be called Alduril

**** AHHHH THAT'S UNREAL!!! ONE OF THE NEAREST BARS LOCATED NEAR ME IS ACTUALLY NICKNAMED 'THE ZOO' Big Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile SmilieBig Smile Smilie
hahahahaha too cool!!!!!
sorry for yelling, i couldn't help it, that made me all hot and bothered! Big Smile Smilie

once again thank you Arwen for finding that link, that just made my day!
this is what that generator @ lotruk gave me

If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Merobo Fleam
and if you were a (male) Man, your name would be Vanvan
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Delulas
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Lenus
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Ering
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Sea Barrel
and your sword would be called Glamcatsol

I once came acros another generator, which was a lot more fun. It gave those long hobbit names like the other does, and cooler orc names. I wrote it down what came out of that one, but I don't know anymore where the generator was.

I'm a respected Rohirim.
My other names would be:
Elf: Dimbar/Dimbarion
Hobbit: Longo Smallburrow from Gamwich
Dwarf: Rundin Icehammer
Orc: Azdush the Crippler

And now I will look for that name generator

Edit:
I think it was this one, but it doesn't come up with the names it did two years ago. I think they changed something in the generator algoritm. This is what comes out now (I'm male, so stick with the masculine possibilities, but I thought it was fun to also give you the faminine names):

According to the Red Book of Westmarch,
In Middle-earth, -my real name- was a
Drunken Uruk-hai

Elven Name Possibilities for -my real name-
The root name suitable for feminine and masculine is:
Ascakal
Another masculine version is:
Ascakalion
More feminine versions are:
Ascakaliel
Ascakalien
Ascakalwen

Hobbit lad name for -my real name-
Rufus Bridger from Hobbiton
Hobbit lass name for -my real name-
Belba Bridger from Hobbiton

Dwarven Name for -my real name-
Narin Saphireear
This name is for both genders.

Orkish Name for -my real name-
Búrzdúsh the Bad-Moon
This name is for both genders.

Adûnaic name for -my real name-
Narurakhloth

Edit again: I forgot to past the link:
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/site/middleearthname.php
IIf you were a Hobbit, your name would be Alaelonna Bracegirdle
and if you were a (female) Man, your name would be Braenna
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Gléwen
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Jydda
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Erirag
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Hearthstone Arms
and your sword would be called Althaing

The other site:
Elven name:
Gilraen Nénharma

Hobbit name:
Camellia Sandybanks

Any Sandybanks around?
If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Merebo Leatherleaf
and if you were a (male) Man, your name would be Rynry
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Elvebrilith
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Hignus
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Gool
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Crow's Nest
and your sword would be called Narcatas

If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Cura Leatherleaf
and if you were a (female) Man, your name would be Gwumwen
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Tarawiel
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Sylla
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Gool

My nickname (Tiger_Eyes) is Failariël Ancalímon I( like it Big Smile Smilie:
I forgot the first name generator:

Elf: Finwë Linwëlin
Hobbit: Sancho Boggy-Hillocks
If you were a Hobbit, your name would be Jaessa Roper
and if you were a (female) Man, your name would be Lothelawen
and if you were an Elf, your name would be Tinánia
and if you were a Dwarf, your name would be Alacla
and if you were an Orc, your name would be Gilg
Your nearest Tavern might be called The Dawn Tavern
and your sword would be called Glamduril

and the other...

Peony Knotwise of Michel Delving for the Hobbit and...
Silmarwen Ancalimë for my elven name

Nice names for all! Smile Smilie
Hi, I'm Aragorn's Lady...my Elvish name is:Eldarwen Lossehelin....my Hobbit: Iri Bramble of Willowbottom...and vampire name: Lodemai of Seducers( was curious about this one!)....9/6/06.
Aragorn's Lady(again)...oops- that should of read Iris.....9/6/06.
Dear Aragorn's Lady,
We really do appreciate your efforts to dig through the guts of Planet Tolkien and familiarize yourself with PT. However, I don't like it when people revive old threads (this one is more than a year old). I am not alone; most members also do not like this. I'm not saying to not read them, just hold your comments. If you want to talk about certain topics, check the posts dates and if they are really old, start a new thread stating you wanted to start the thread up again but the old one is too dated. Realize that this is unofficial counsel; I am not a moderator and I cannot enforce things in any way and that this suggestion is my biased opinion. But by all means, dig through the guts of PT!!!
~D-Rob~
Personally, I would rather an old thread dug up and new insight posted than a new thread with the same old insight.

Thanks Aragorn's Lady for bringing the name generator back to the surface. Some new members may have some fun with it. Smile Smilie
I agree Nell, and as you are also a moderator, that makes it official. Happy Elf Smilie
Absolutly. We HIGHLY encourage people to find go digging for old topics. Even if I weren't a mod I would tell you to keep digging. There is so much info and knowledge saved in this forum and you can learn so much. Genius Smilie

Now what were my names on that generator? Hmm... think I'll go remind myself.
Hm, they've made changes!
Elf name: Eáránë Véneanár
Hobbit name: Polly Proudneck of Longbottom (I quite liked that one. Smile Smilie )
My elvish name: Eldolate Elensar
My hobbit name: Estella Hamwich of Buckleberry Fern
It's so fun Smile Smilie Smile Smilie Thank for reminding me about this thread
you know what, its funny, i tried to get people interested in that very website about 7 months ago i think. I posted it as a journal entry, its where i got my user name from Orc Smiling Smilie

Elessar Lossëhelin - Elf
Till Bramble of Willowbottom - Hobbit

It appears that Aragorn's Lady and I have similar surnames???

I love to open old threads as it shows what the topics were before i joined, and it gives people oppurtunity that are new to give their oppinion on the matter
Quote:
However, I don't like it when people revive old threads (this one is more than a year old). I am not alone; most members also do not like this.

On the contrary, ppl should be encouraged to first read the old threads to see if their question has already been answered, or if the topic they're interested in has already been dealt with ad nauseam.

Few new members do this however, unlike Aragorn's Lady. So I give her a sincere thumbs-up.
i think this smilie is in order Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie

edit: come on Vir, whats your elven name and hobbit name???
I'm a bit confused today. I'm told that in middle-earth I was a Springle-ring-Dancing Elf. My Elven name might be Gorbrethil. In Hobbiton the call me Dudo Hill from Deephallow. As a dwarf I'm Balin Manfoot. If I should become an orc I might answer to the name of Wazrárz the Wretched and Táidóránzar would be my Adúnaic name.

But it is very fascinating to manipulate my own and friends names. Elf Smilie
First I typed Cloveress Cloveress as my name, and found out that it would be Natulcien Elendil in Elvish (Sindarin, I presume). That sounds very cool. I like it. Natulcien. It rolls off my tongue so perfectly. I might call myself that. But anyways, I typed in my real name, and found that I was Finduilas/Nellas Narmolanya in Elvish and Sweetpea Deepdelver of Brockenborings in the hobbit tongue. Sweetpea sounds very cute. Almost like a fairy name...
Ooooh just found this - I love In Love Smilie my new name - think I'll change my name by deed poll.........l o l

Inwë Elensar

ps did my hubby's name, he thinks it's pretty cool......

Elrohir Elensar

We are now Mr & Mrs Elensar...(did the elves have Mr & Mrs????)
my name is Merenwen Lúinwë... i wonder how u pronounce dat...
This is funny.. when I wrote Mellom Mountain, the name was Inwé Elensar
Both your names :Maydmarion Happy Elf Smilie
Hope you're having a good time in London Mellon Big Smile Smilie

I just tried a google search and put in 'LOTR name generators'. A few different ones came up - I've been typing in all the families names....I really need to get out more...lol..... Very Mad Smilie
Wilibald Bulge of Great Smials & Gilrador Arnatuilë.

Heh.
I was playing around with that elf generator that Rednell gave us http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/ and i've notice it just response to the last letter from your first and last name. it doesn't matter how long your name is, what type of vowels and consonants your name consists of(before the last letter), the only part that matters is the very last letter, just try fiddling around with it: a, b, c, etc... and go from there.
Oh it did not work for me. Sad Smilie
They are completely random or systematic but not actually 'translating'. I.e. I put in 1243535 246436 for my name and it spit out Elros Tîwele. I entered 5a u8 and it told me my name was Aegnor Lissësúl. Tolkien would be rolling around in his grave if he knew how his languages were being butchered. I also put in "Blue Fish" and it spit out Mablung Telperiën, which has Sindarin "heavy hand" and Quenya "silver-?crowned". Two already attested names, flung together. "Heavy hand" is not a translation of "Blue", last I checked. Nor does Elros "star-foam" equal 1243535...
Quote:
the only part that matters is the very last letter, just try fiddling around with it: a, b, c, etc... and go from there.

No wonder I got different results for my name. My real name is Heide, but it's pronounced the same as Heidi, so I just tried both of them, and it gave me Finduilas and Nellas, with surprised me a bit, because they're so different from each other. What you said does make sense now.
mahtan ancalime & Folco Knotwise of Michel Delving!!!

Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie