Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Tolkien Fanfic contest: deadline May 24th

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Writers Guild > Tolkien Fanfic contest: deadline May 24th   
How do you go about entering something, Sepdet?
Now that I look more closely at it, I think that you don't. I think you have to be nominated by someone. Oog.

Could someone good at reading fine print please check the site and see if I've got that right?

I could not find any way to send a submission myself. They do not explain how pieces of work get nominated.

I've sent them an email in the hope of finding out, and also highlighted PT to them in case they actually scour the net themselves looking for the material.
I have received the following reply from Mithril Awards.
Quote:
Dear Ron,

Thank you for the enquiry.

Nominations for the awards are public, so anyone can nominate any piece of work - whether they have written it or not. Nominations open on Thursday 24 April and there will be an online form on the site from that date. We will not be hosting nominated stories, so submissions need a valid URL.

I hope that helps and we look forward to receiving lots of nominations from Planet-Tolkien!

The Awards Committee.
http://www.viragene.com/tolkien
Anyone going for it?
Hi Chathol-linn.

From what I've read on the site, there are a number of different catagories that stories are nominated into. The judges then make shortlists for each catagory containing five or six stories. Some of these, they then choose the winners from, while I think other catagories are then thrown open to the public to vote on.

I'm not certain, but I think the public will only ever see the winners or those shortlisted.

Are you entering your Legolas stories?
Hi, Valedhelgwath. Thanks for the response. I would like your permission to enter your "Watcher in the Water" in the category of Best Story Focusing on Other Races. Is that okay?

The rules say we can only nominate one work per category. I'm nominating several works by other postAuthorIDs. I'm going to nominate one of my poems (From Fangorn Forest to Helm's Deep Canto the Forest). Maybe someone else will nominate my other pieces.

And I hope Watcher in the Water wins! Regards - Chathol-linn
Hello. Can the public, or the PT members, see the list of nominations? Regards - Chathol-linn
Thanks for the thought Chathol. To be honest, though, I entered my Balin's Folly story into that same catagory myself. I couldn't decide whether to use it, the Watcher in the Water or Grud. Maybe I went for the wrong one.

I haven't heard of these awards before, but if they span the whole net, I think there will be some stiff competition. Best of luck... I hope your work does well. It would be nice if someone from PT could win something in it...

You up for the humour section Plastic?
Hey, V. The postAuthorID should know which is best. I respect that.

The rules do not say one postAuthorID can have one entry per category. They only say that each nominator can only nominate one work per category. I think "Watcher" is a good piece of writing but will abide by your wishes!

Regards - Chathol-linn
It's both actually Chathol... Rule 7 stops you nominating more than once into each catagory, while rule 11 prevents an postAuthorID having more than one story nominated in each.

Do you have any new stories? I hoped you had sent me one today, but I was unable to open the attachment.
Hi, Valedhelgwath. Regarding Rule 11 - thanks, I've got it now. And I wish you the best of luck with "Folly." How nice to ask about my stories. I did not have any attachments to the test postBody. I appreciate your interest and will contact you about my next work.

Oh - You're right about the nominations being kept confidential until awards are announced. From now on I will keep private the stories I intent to nominate. Good luck to all! - Chathol-linn
Quote:

You up for the humour section Plastic?

If somebody nominates me, yeah I would be, but i'm not doing it myself...
Quote:
If somebody nominates me, yeah I would be, but i'm not doing it myself...
I'd nominate you Plastic, but it would mean me reading them again to find out which one was the best... Gandalf and the Balrog is the one which sticks in my mind the most, but without reading them side by side, I'm not too sure. I'd hate to pick the wrong one and sabotage your chances of winning a coverted mithril award Smile Smilie
I'm the worst person to ask, I think they both have many faults, if I was pressed to it I'd go for the Balrog one, but that's just because it was the most fun to write and only took one afternoon and a bottle of Vodka, the other one dragged out a bit and lacks the cohesiveness of it's predecessor, in my eyes anyway, but I haven't read either of them since I wrote them anyway. Votes anyone? Wink Smilie
Gandalf and the Balrog is definitely the better of the two.
But the point is now moot; the deadline has passed.

Congrats to all who were nominated, to those that weren't: there is always next year. Happy Elf Smilie
I was confused on the deadline too, Grondy, so I went to the website and checked it out. And this is what I found:

Quote:
The nomination period for the awards will run from April 24th to May 24th, 2003, with awards being distributed at the end of June after rounds of short-listing and judging. All material completed by April 24th is eligible to compete.

So it is not too late to nominate Plastic's Gandalf and the Balrog, which is my favorite humourous fan fiction. Big Smile Smilie
Okay, thanks Rednell. I am changing the date in the title of this thread to 24 May then.
For those of you who are interested, the shortlisted stories will be on display from June 1st in a section open to public voting.
Kind of burns the torch for Planet Tolkien doesn't it. I

Well done Chathol lin and Sepdet
Congratulations to Val, Catholin and Sepdet for their finalist ranking! Val has three stories up there! Thumbs Up Smilie Jumping Flame Smilie I Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie

[Edited on 3/6/2003 by gnampie]
If you go to the top of the thread, in sepdet's original post there is a link to the site which sepdet has just named " here". You then click on Voter's choice to download the voting form.