Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Humorous poem, posted separately with permission

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Writers Guild > Humorous poem, posted separately with permission   
Great poem, Chathol! I can just imagine them singing it in The Prancing Pony on a festive evening.
Omg! I bow before thee, Chathol-linn!

Without doubt one of the best poems I've ever read! I am impressed! I'd love to hear it to music, and ever more: I'd LOVE to sing it myself, this is the type of song that I could sing over and over again! Woaw!

Have you got tunes to this or is it supposed to be a poem? It is just.. fantastic!

That is a really good poem Chathol-linn, you have a gift of writing. I can see where you got the inspiration, but I'm curious how you manage to compose them so well. How do you start?
Thanks for your kind words! I canít compose music, so there is no song unless someone else makes one. Iíd love it if you did.

A picture comes into my head and a story suggests itself. I can tell if itís a poem or prose by the subject matter, length, and type of emotion. For poems, I select the rhyme scheme. I write the first verses establishing the setting. Then I tell the story. The metaphors, internal structures, etc., are from a data base built mostly from lots of reading. Example: ďan arrow black as Sauronís crackĒ was inspired unconsciously by a line from a book that Stephen King recommended. I didnít notice that until later. E-mail me off-line and Iíll tell you what it was.

Well, thatís probably more than you wanted to know. Thanks so much for your comments! Best regards - Chathol-linn
Well done Chathol, that poem is brilliant. Big Smile Smilie
It was Chathol! I loved it, and as Allyssa said, I too could just picture this happening. That's really neat! Big Smile Smilie
Hum. acctually, a melody got stuck in my head as I was reading this. If I am allowed I would much like to put music to this song. I am not a that gifted musician, but I can play the piano somewhat and I can atleast write down the notes and the rythm.
It would be really cool if I got to do this, I can already hear the music, the drums that goes: "taram tam tam, taram tam tam, taram tam tam tam tam". The comp by a single flute and then the choir of men singing it.
Ah, maybe it's not that good, I don't know. It's your opinion that matters, since it's your poem, but I'd sure like to try!
Hi, Airecristiel. I'd be delighted for you to set Song-Fight to music. Your ideas sound fine to me. No one has ever asked that before, so I'm looking forward to hearing it. Best regards from a non-musician - Chathol-linn
Alcoholic Smilie Yes, Well done Chathol-linn. It's a great drinking song.
(I'm glad we finally got it posted with all its warts intact.) Alcoholic Smilie
Hello, Grondy It's the nature of drinking songs to be rowdy (or so I hear), so many thanks to you and the Council for letting me post it as-is. Much obliged! - Chathol-linn
Quote:
Hum. acctually, a melody got stuck in my head as I was reading this. If I am allowed I would much like to put music to this song. I am not a that gifted musician, but I can play the piano somewhat and I can atleast write down the notes and the rythm.

If you need a hand Aire, you could always send it to me, and I'll see what I can do with your tune?
Weeeeell.. I would Plastic, but I'm afraid you'll turn it into a rock song. ;-) Naw, just kidding. Smile Smilie

Acctually, I've gotten so far that I know the melody and the tunes exactly and I'm about to get the exact right chords for it right now. I'm not able to record it though, really a shame. Sad Smilie But I can send you the chords, the way I THINK it's written for guitars, since I can't get it by notes for the piano in the computor. (unless I draw it in like paint or something Tongue Smilie )

But for some reason I'm sure you can read the guitar tunes, plastic. Smile Smilie And I'll be sure to send you the notes of the melody as well. Hum. It's really hard when you can't hear it, but I'll give it a try. Smile Smilie Shall I send it to your e-mail?
Nice one Chathol. I find it hard to read without getting a bouncy tune in my head as I'm doing so. I can almost smell the beer and hear the laughter in the background every time I read it.
Quote:
Weeeeell.. I would Plastic, but I'm afraid you'll turn it into a rock song. ;-) Naw, just kidding. Smile Smilie

Acctually, I've gotten so far that I know the melody and the tunes exactly and I'm about to get the exact right chords for it right now. I'm not able to record it though, really a shame. Sad Smilie But I can send you the chords, the way I THINK it's written for guitars, since I can't get it by notes for the piano in the computor. (unless I draw it in like paint or something Tongue Smilie )

But for some reason I'm sure you can read the guitar tunes, plastic. Smile Smilie And I'll be sure to send you the notes of the melody as well. Hum. It's really hard when you can't hear it, but I'll give it a try. Smile Smilie Shall I send it to your e-mail?

Just send me the chords, and the tune (write the notes like cdega, and put rhythm values on them somehow, or write it on a bit of paper and scan it in) and I'll do it on Piano if you like. Or mandolins and suchlike, I think it needs that boisterous drunken folk song feel to it. And mail it to me (plasticsquirrel@planet-tolkien.com) and then I'll see what I can do.
Ok, just one little question:
cdega? Question Smilie
That would be very very neat if you 2 could manage making it a song!
Quote:
Ok, just one little question:
cdega? Question Smilie
Like the names of the notes, or use do, re, mi, etc. If the range of you melody covers more than one octave, you might say something like C4 is Middle C, and C5 is one octave higher and then give the octave number with each note's letter. Use R for a rest, W, H, Q, E, and S for whole, half, quarter, eighth, and sixteenth note durations. Of course if you could draw the melody freehand on a five line musical staff and scan it, the above would be moot. Also if you can count the beats per minute or give him the length of time it should take to get through the tune whole tune or a stanza, that would help too.
ah. Lol. Scheisse. I notice it's been a while since the piano lessons. Maybe I should start again? Smile Smilie

Well, I could draw it on free hand on a musical staff. The problem is, I have to photograph it in order to get it into the comp, since I don't have a scanner.

Hum, I'm no good with pauses, no pauses for me. Wink Smilie

And I'm afraid I'll do it wrong, so I'll write the names of the tangents as well, like.. G, G, D, D# etc. Smile Smilie

(oh, and here in sweden we call it Middle C, C, low C and Small C.)
Thanks Grondy, as always you manage to turn my incoherent blathering into something people can understand.
Go with the photo of the sheet music, that should be pretty easy.
Hello! This is brilliant; youíre actually going to set it to music. I canít wait to see and hear this! Best regards Ė Chathol-linn
I am quite excited about this too, Chathol.

Is there any chance that we could put the music up somewhere so that we can all hear it? ( I fear I am sheet-music illiterate :elfembar: )
Umm... Maybe we should let Plastic hear it first, so he can tell me if it has got any potential at all, before making it a big thing... :elfembar:
It'll go up as an mp3 at Squirrelworld somewhere, once I've deciphered Aire's scrawlings and turned it into something unrecognisable to what she originally envisioned. I've been trying to think of a way to get as many PT members singing on it as I can, but I don't suppose many of you have recording and mp3 encoding software on your PCs do you? Well, it'll just have to be my dulcet tones then...
Quote:
before making it a big thing...
It IS a big thing now Aire!! We're all very curious, but no preassure. Wink Smilie
Oh thank you Amarie, really making it easy for me now. Wink Smilie
Just kidding.
Plastic, to be on the safe side I'm writing it down every way I know, might take me some while though. Making it on notes will take the longest while, but I'm almost halfway through now. So hopefully some day next millennium. Wink Smilie Sorry for taking so long people.
Quote:
Making it on notes will take the longest while, but I'm almost halfway through now. So hopefully some day next millennium. Wink Smilie Sorry for taking so long people.
Take your time! It never pays to rush a genius at work. Elf Winking Smilie
Lol Grondy!

Oh well, I've gotten all the notes down and stuff. I'll just photograph it and send it to Plastic together with the little midi I made with AmariŽs help. Smile Smilie
But I'll do that tomorrow, tired now. Smile Smilie
You call that a long time! I was hoping it'd take you a few weeks or so, oh well, more work for the poor old Squirrel...
Hello. Airecristiel and Plastic Squirrel - please let us know when you're finished. I am looking forward to this! Regards - Chathol-linn
Hello. What an attractive site this. The updates are very effective. I was wondering what the procedure is for requesting the archiving of a poem to Fan Fiction. "Song-Fight at the Swan and Cygnet Saloon" contains some indelicate language. They let me post it here in the thread once, but could it make the actual archive?

Happy New Year to all, and here's wishing you a magical and wondrous experience of RotK! Regards - Chathol-linn