Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: New Story: The Northern Star - by Gnampie

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Writers Guild > New Story: The Northern Star - by Gnampie   
Thank you for putting my story on, Allyssa!
I'm very glad you liked it!

Val and Eryan, thank you so much for your lovely words, your comments and your encouragments!

To all PT-ers, those two stories are my first stories ever, so I would very much like to read your comments and suggestions. I still have a lot to learn.
I am delighted that this story is already published in the Fan Fiction section. What a story! What conciseness and concentration of emotions! I particularly like the description of fighting itself, a brief image of two young boys standing back to back and fighting desperately to stay alive while huge Orc warriors are smashing them aside like bugs... It's like a snapshot scene appearing suddenly in blinding light of a lightning: brief, sudden, perfect. There is no need of any more words. Only great writers can achieve this, to create such poignant, emotion-laden visions with so few words. Please, Gnampie, continue to write! You already can tell stories, we are waiting for more!
Quote:
Val and Eryan, thank you so much for your lovely words, your comments and your encouragments!
Here's the comments I sent to Gnampie via email when she first sent me the story.
Quote:
May I say, what a moving story. You have a real penchant for creating tear jerkers. I wish I had that knack myself. I'm pleased you have created a continuation to Brego's Battle. In the original you placed the reader at the scene of a battle, lost and frightened. You portrayed very well what it must feel like emotionally to suffer a fatal wound.

In this story you have placed the reader in the position of having to confront a dead parent. Very well done, and very moving. I'm sure some of your readers will shed tears over this one.
Quote:
those two stories are my first stories ever, so I would very much like to read your comments and suggestions. I still have a lot to learn.
I have found in the past, women are far better at creating emotional scenes than men. Men seem to concentrate more on numbers of troops, type of armour etc... but the battles are often detached. Women on the other hand tend to place the reader right in the middle of the battle by describing emotions etc. For first stories, they are both very powerful pieces. They remind me very much of some of the battles Kathrene Kerr describes in the Deverry series of books.

Like Eryan pointed out, you already tell stories. I think before long you will be putting us all to shame. I can see a Mithril award or two going your direction at any rate. Keep them coming please.
Wow! Thank you! I don't know what to say. Never before did I receive so much praise for anything I did or made. This makes me feel so good! You can't imagine.
Wiggle Smilie Elk Grinning Smilie Cool Elf Smilie

But if you ask me, my writing still needs a lot of work to come even anywhere near the talent of Cathol-linn, Plastic and yourself Val!

Quote:
I have found in the past, women are far better at creating emotional scenes than men. Men seem to concentrate more on numbers of troops, type of armour etc... but the battles are often detached. Women on the other hand tend to place the reader right in the middle of the battle by describing emotions etc.

Maybe a combination of both would work like magic. Animated Wink Smilie
Quote:

But if you ask me, my writing still needs a lot of work to come even anywhere near the talent of Cathol-linn, Plastic and yourself Val!

heh, you can take me off that list Gnampie, I only do stupid one-liners that make me giggle. You have a genuine talent, whereas I am just a drunken fool who likes to ridicule things he loves.
Plastic, you stories are so funny and vivid (I hope I spelled that correctly). If you ask me, writing humouristic stories is the most difficult thing to do, and I think you don't even have to do a lot of effort for it. It just comes natural to you. that's talent!
I really liked your story too gnampie!!! The ending made me cry though! I'm too sentimental...
Quote:
I'm sure some of your readers will shed tears over this one.
Quote:
The ending made me cry though! I'm too sentimental...
I was right about that one Smile Smilie
Quote:
They remind me very much of some of the battles Kathrene Kerr describes in the Deverry series of books.

I don't know those books, but my colleague at work has read them and she says I would surely like them. I will add them to my Christmas list. Read Smilie Christmas Smilie

Quote:
Like Eryan pointed out, you already tell stories. I think before long you will be putting us all to shame. I can see a Mithril award or two going your direction at any rate. Keep them coming please.

I did enter Brego's battle for the Mithril award competition last June, but it didn't even made through the selection. So I guess my stories still need a lot of work before anything like that happens. Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
I did enter Brego's battle for the Mithril award competition last June, but it didn't even made through the selection. So I guess my stories still need a lot of work before anything like that happens
Bahh!!! What do the judges know??? Big Smile Smilie

Keep at them, gnampie. Believe me, they are good. And I hope you like the Deverry series... Hopefully by the time you get there, KK will have finished the 13th and final book that fans have been waiting so long for.