Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Writer's Contest - Gathering of the Fellowship

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Writers Guild > Writer's Contest - Gathering of the Fellowship   
Thanks Nell for drawing our attention to that competition!
I have a question for fluent English speakers:
Quote:
"No slash/het/erotic stories"

I know what are erotic stories, but what is "slash" and "het"?!
I'm not kidding - I really do not know!
Quote:
I know what are erotic stories, but what is "slash" and "het"?!
I'm not kidding - I really do not know!
I don't know either, unless the "slash" refers to stories like the horrible movies that slice up its victims, usually female. "Het" isn't a word I've ever run across.
Thanks Grondy! Now I became really intrigued about that word "het" and I put it into my Gooogle, as "het stories". And immediately I got the links which explained all. Well, apparently "slash" and "het" are, respectively, stories with homo- and heterosexual content. I think, however, that stories containing too much horror are also not suitable for that competition because it is recommended that they should be family-friendly!

To Council Members: If you think that these explanation are unsuitable for this site please delete all this discussion!

[Edited on 6/11/2003 by Eryan]
I think your explanation is fine Eryan.

I cannot enter this one Sad Smilie . Even my short stories are too long. With the exception of the Fall of Osgiliath, they are all over the 3000 word limit.

I'm hoping to have another story ready in the next few weeks but that one will be in the 5000 word region too.
What a pity Val!
I have an idea of a short story but I doubt I'd be able to write it for 21th November. But I wrote two essays and I may perhaps submit one of them. I need however to translate one of them into English!
Family Friendly!!!! Knackers! Thats me out as well then...
I combined Brego's battle and The Northern Star to one story and entered that. I'm very curious if they will like it.
I think i might enter too. Do you have to be going to The Gathering to enter? Toronto's a bit far for me...

Oh and by the way - I haven't missed the deadline have i? I couldn't find it on the site.

[Edited on 12/11/2003 by Rawien]
Quote:
I think i might enter too. Do you have to be going to The Gathering to enter

No, you don't have to be going to The Gathering to enter.
The deadline has just been extended to November 30.
So get out your pens.
We have some very talented poets and writers here so I am looking forward to your entries.

[Edited on 12/11/2003 by Rednell]
I'm still thinking about showing my poem,just don't think it's very good.
Do you mean showing it to us? Please do! I'm sure we will all give our honest opinion in a constructive way, so there is nothing to fear. Smile Smilie
I would love to read your poem. You could also ask for people's e-mail addresses and send it to them if you don't want it to be here in the open.

Mine is gnampie_ant@yahoo.com Wink Smilie
Ok thanks for that Nell.

Another question - Do you have to be a single postAuthorID, or could we submit a joint effort? Like one of the pt storyboards? That'd be really cool! Would they allow it?
Congratulations to Chathol-linn for the first position in the section 'Humor' and the second position in the section 'lyric Poetry'! Pary Smilie Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Quote:
Congratulations to Chathol-linn for the first position in the section 'Humor' and the second position in the section 'lyric Poetry'!
I haven't seen any reports from the members who attended the Gathering. So which were her winning poems? Was one of them her wonderful Song-Fight at the Swan and Cygnet Saloon? Elk Grinning Smilie
Yes, one was Song-Fight at the Swan and Cygnet Saloon and the other was From Fangorn forest to Helm's Deep
Thanks Gnampie. Happy Elf Smilie

And a big WELL DONE to Chathol-linn, we always new those poems of yours were winners.
Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie Thumbs Up Smilie
Yes, a big congratulations to you Chathol-linn, well deserved!
I do apologize for not announcing this acheivement. I was there when Craig Parker (Haldir) and Mark Ferguson (Gil-Galad) read out the names of the winners at the Gathering. It was a shame that more of these talented writers couldn't be there to receive their laurels. I Thumbs Up Smilie Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Quote:
Congratulations to Chathol-linn for the first position in the section 'Humor' and the second position in the section 'lyric Poetry'!

Well done Chathol-linn. I'm so pleased for you. Thumbs Up Smilie Juggling Smilie Wiggle Smilie