Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Valentine Poem Competition

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Writers Guild > Valentine Poem Competition   << [1] [2]
I can't write poems... how about... I'll sing you all some sappy old love song? Should I get my guitar? Tongue Smilie

Oh and btw, none of this matters if the guy, no matter how talented, is fat.
Well, Morambar, I am not single; I am happily married to a British man who does not write poetry, but is incredibly thoughtful otherwise -- roses, chocolates, sweet cards. I am a girl, and do, therefore, still enjoy poetry, so I agree with Cloveress, write a poem that benefits all the girls on PT; it doesn't have to top Blake, Byron will do Wink Smilie.

And Floyd, what does that mean that poetry doesn't matter if the guy is fat? Now, you are just trying to get us riled up, aren't you?
Quote:
Oh and btw, none of this matters if the guy, no matter how talented, is fat.

Depends how much he has on his bank account.
Okay, I can see how it's true that most of us do not want to admit that looks and money do make a difference, no matter how much we say they don't, but they truly are not everything and at least in my world, do not make or break the man. You two are just BAD! (and trying to get us to react -- okay, so I bit).
Looks & money, a deadly combination. Beware the black widow's poisonous fangs. Or leave all your money to PETA.
Hmmm, I'll think about it, M'Herbal Lady. I considered it for the contest, but things got away from me at wotmania, and then it was too late. I'm asuming we're talking a single poem for the Planet Tolkienettes as a group, right? I'm not sure I have it in me to give an offering for each of them. And besides, why would I write poetry to icky married women like Eruwen? ;-p I soooo need a ;-p smiley....

And Floyd: aren't the best songs supposed to be poetry? Personally, I think in the age of bubble gum pop the Elizabethan sonnet is too often overlooked. You have three four line stanzas in neat penatmeter, with a couplet at the end. Your rhyme scheme is done FOR YOU. So's your meter. You fill in your three verses and write your chorus; you're done. Granted it requires understanding complex concepts like "rhyme scheme" and "meter" but just think, even if you have only a rudimentary grasp of these you can be a star. If you actually have some intelligence and talent, you could be the next Elvis.
Yes, I do believe all of you were just trying to get us ladies worked up. Are any of you two (Floyd and Virumor) suffering from matrimonal problems? Or are you just plain playboys?
I was just talking facts really. Just a couple of hours before I posted that, I got told that it wouldn't matter how good I am, because I'm fat. *shrugs*
Well, hopefully, Floyd, you don't believe everything that people say. There are many overweight, talented, famous people in all walks of the arts.

And Morambar -- icky married woman indeed! I suppose you think Heidi Klum, Liv Tyler and Kate Hudson are all icky married women too? Wink Smilie But, I agree...no need to write me poetry personally, just write a poem I can enjoy...and dedicate it, as you said, to all those single Tolkienettes out there.
That would be me!

Quote:
You don't need to top Blake, y'know.

Because he's already dead?

Quote:
There are many overweight, talented, famous people in all walks of the arts.

None more so than Mycroft Holmes!

Quote:
Well, hopefully, Floyd, you don't believe everything that people say.

*giggles* "I would date him, but the only thing that prevents me from doing so, is the fact that he's fat." This I believe. Though, I don't know whether to laugh or to cry at that statement. The funny thing is, that I've never asked the person to date me.
  << [1] [2]