Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Where do I stand?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Writers Guild > Where do I stand?   
Hi,
First post from a newbie elf... I love the different community set up! Anyway, to my question...
I'm in the privaleged position of owning a wap (for mobile phones) site, and have the means to advertise Tolkiens works. Its completely non profit making.
I wanted to compose some pages based on the appendices 'story of days' section found at the end of Return Of The King, keeping close to the original text, but adding little bits to inform any new prospective readers of exactly whats happening.
Not wanting to run into tons of copyrighting legal stuff, where would I stand if I went ahead?
I think you would be violating copyright if you do not have permission from the owner and adding bits doesn't help. Still i may be wrong but i suggest you contact the council members of Pt. They may be more helpful.

And welcome to PT. Very Big Grin Smilie Waving Hello Smilie
Thanks, that was what I was afraid of. No harm in trying though, I suppose. If all else fails, I could always do it in essay form, maybe?
Yep maybe as long as the content does not seem to explicit. That's why i counsel you to contact the CM to know how they got permission to use LOTR stuff here.
Oh, right... I get you now. I just mailed the estate lawyers to see what they reckon :o)
Beware!!! It may cost you dear in....mithril!! Ha Ha Ha Smilie
There is a fine line between using a bit of copyright text to make a point in a discussion or essay and using it in fan fiction; the former is legal, the latter is not. You can usually get away with using a couple character names, but not the wholesale lifting of a section of plot and expanding on it Of course this is only my opinion, and not being a lawyer, you mustn't bank on it; because 'I know notink!'
Do you mean the fan fiction here is illegal?
Yes please tell us explicitly if the fan fiction here is indeed illegal. I think that is very important to know Grondy dear.
Nobody is trying to make money of it, hence : nope.

One can use anything one likes, as long as one points out one's sources and as long as one's not going for financial benefits. That's all.
I What Virumor said sounds good, except Taz got sued for having an excellent selection of Middle-earth maps including one you could zoom into; and he had to remove Tolkien's poems from the Gallery too, which I had spent quite an effort typing in letter-by-letter. Orc Sad Smilie

Yes, our Fan Fiction is fine: Happy Elf Smilie no one has copied chunks of Tolkien's text and written around them.
Quote:
Taz got sued for having an excellent selection of Middle-earth maps including one you could zoom into; and he had to remove Tolkien's poems from the Gallery too, which I had spent quite an effort typing in letter-by-letter. Orc Sad Smilie

well if we weren't using it for commercial purposes then why did they sue him? Must be trying to make more money as always.....disgusting...... Very Sad Smilie
Quote:
well if we weren't using it for commercial purposes then why did they sue him?

One cannot place copyrighted material on the web just like that without permission, since it might stop people from purchasing that copyrighted material irl. Why buy if you can get it for free? Hence the owners of the copyright might be losing money.
But vir surely we weren't using the complete material but only parts of it?
Same difference.