Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Just A Suggestion

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website Suggestions > Just A Suggestion   [1] [2] >>
This is just a suggestion and I don't expect it to be done I just thought it would be kind of cool to have a Thread search type of thing. I clicked on Tolkiens Flaw from the Homepage's Latest Forums and forgot to check what it was under when I was posting my messege so when I wanted to look and see if anyone had replyed to what I said the next day I couldn't find it!!! I don't know if this only happens to me or what if I'm just the only stupid one here who can't find a flipping thread I don't know but just a suggestion. You could have a type in box and the person could type in the thread there looking for and find if anything matches, kind of like a search engine!! Now don't do it just because I told you to because I know it would take forever and you would have to keep updating it too!!! And maybe someone has mentioned this before!! I wouldn't know!! Well I going to stop now!!! Bye!! And remember, Aragorn is the best!!!
It's on my list of things to be done Smile Smilie
Well that's neat!!!! But I hope it's not on there just because I said it!!! Very Sad Smilie Shaking Head Smilie You already have a To-Do List that probably is so long it doesn't fitt in your house / apartment!!!!!
21 Wink Smilie
I've been wondering Tarrant, do you have a job and running this is just a 'hobby'? Or do you get any money out of it?
I think you'll find this is an expensive hobby. Taz goes to work so that he can afford to pay the site fees and bandwidth costs associated with running this site. Occasionally other members, like yourself Anilorak, donate what they can to help cover these costs. Basically, as well as building this site for us, Taz is also paying through the nose so that we can all browse for free.

I think we should all buy him a virtual drink Alcoholic Smilie
I just discovered that if you google a username, you get up posts from that user. Also if you google a thread topic, google finds them for you. This could work as a temporary thread search and also a way of finding posts by a spesific user.
Wow, that's kind of wierd, putting in a search and finding stuff that I have written.... Got to hand it to Google; they are good.
Lol yah, kinda weird how advanced things are getting,though..
It half worked. I googled on Val's name and just got the list of assignments in the Reading forum, none of his other posts at all.

Quote:
I think we should all buy him a virtual drink

Maybe those that can could pay a bit more each month?
I googled Val too and got 5440 hits.. That included some from other sites as well, but I think you can choose "search on this site only" somewhere. Or was that altavista? Hmm. Anyway..
Wow Super Wow Smilie GrevBukMcJern that was so cool. I had no idea that one could do that, but I guess that it should not have Shocked Elf Smilie surprised Shocked Smilie me with as advanced as the internet and their search engines are these days. I have really enjoyed myself looking up numerous different people and their posts. That is a great thing to learn, thank you so much for share that little tid bit of information with us.

Mellie Wiggle Smilie
out of place i am but- Woudnt it be GREAT if we could all gather up somewhere have a barbecue,watch the LOTR movies(not hearing a word from the movie because we would all be commenting and talking,and then not talk to each other for a few years because of what we disagree in the movie) and have LOADS of fun. Thats a really fun idea i got and just thought that i had to say it to you. It would be hillarius!!! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Yeah, that would be fun. Maybe rent a theatre somewhere and have 75 pizza's delivered? That would be a good gathering. Sure would cost a bunch to fly everyone to the same place!! Big Smile Smilie

Yeah...but the best place to meat is somewhere is in the middle of europe,its as close to everybody
Quote:
Yeah...but the best place to meat is somewhere is in the middle of europe,its as close to everybody

The best place to meat?? Well eh i think i'll pass for such a meating i think.

Anyway, meet me in Bree.

P.S. : skip watching the LOTR movies and we'd have a hell of a meeting. Or wait, if you put in watching the LOTR movies then we'd really have a hell of a meeting!! At least i would.
Quote:
if I'm just the only stupid one here who can't find a flipping thread I don't know but just a suggestion.

Guilty. I spent soooooo long Rolling Eyes Smilie looking for WHeel of Tolkien.

Quote:

I just discovered that if you google a username, you get up posts from that user. Also if you google a thread topic, google finds them for you. This could work as a temporary thread search and also a way of finding posts by a spesific user.

Not if you're with maxnet. It blocks those sites, for some reason. (Maxnet is my browser)
That barbacue thing would be sooo fun!!!! But there are alot of younger kids like myself (im 12) who wouldn't be able to go probably!! Sad Smilie My mom would never let me go!!!! She doesn't like the whole chatroom thing but this one is so safe!! At least I think so!! Paranoid Smilie Plus I would never give any personal information and the moderators Moderator Smilie would delete it quick anyways!! But that would be fun!! Man that would be so fun!! Wy did you tell me that now I'm all disapointed!! But we shouldn't invite Virumor!! just kidding!! He might beat somebody up!! just kidding!! no harsh feelings right Virumor? We're cool right? Big Smile Smilie Smile Smilie Look Around Smilie Sad Smilie
Quote:
(im 12)

So am I!!!!!!!!!!!! My mum wouldn't let me go either. Neither would Dad. Whenever he finds me ont he computer he gives me a fresh lecture about Spam, chatroom stalkers and all sorts of internet dangersr.
Quote:
My mom would never let me go!!!! She doesn't like the whole chatroom thing but this one is so safe!! At least I think so!! Plus I would never give any personal information and the moderators would delete it quick anyways!!

We do our best to keep things safe, but you can never be certain. There are some really bad people out there, and I'm sure if they wanted to, they could slip clean through our fingers without us ever noticing them. Basically, treat everyone on this site as stranger and don't give them any personal information. Any one of us could be that nasty person masquerading as a teenager or whatever, so be very careful. If anyone PM's you in chat and asks for personal information, Pm one of the moderators straight away.

I cannot stress this enough. There are some very sick people in this world unfortunately.
Good advice, Val. I've been in one situation myself and would not like to repeat the experience, though it wasn't my fault that the info got out - someone else I knew accidentally slipped. So to both Loni and HobbitHomie: please, please be very careful! And thanks to all you Council Members for making this place as safe and enjoyable as possible. Smile Smilie
yea yea yea you sound like my mother!! Just kidding!! It's never happened to me before, but I never go into chat rooms. And PT feels so safe!! I would be really surprised if that happened here even though it is 100% possible!! But don't worry me and Loni won't give out any personal information!! Right Loni? Deal Smilie
Yep you gota be safe. But enough of this stuff.
I just wanted to say that wouldnt it be beter if when members loged in, they get to select where they are from(Rivendel,Edoras...) and select if they are male or female. You now, like under my post it says elf-rivendel, coudnt it also say male -female?Im just saying this because its not nice when you think someone is something other than they really are. I just found out now that Rednell is a she!!!
Under "Edit Your Profile" you can write your first and second name, age, sex and country you live in.

When the "view members profile" option is available, you can see what members have written in their profile and they can see what you have written in yours.

I have not added my real name there by the way, I don't like to have my name where I have no controll over who sees it. It doesn't take much information to track down a person.
Yes, but the male-female problem is a very acute one though. Maybe it would indeed be a nice idea if you could add an M or F in the green bar below your post, where it says dwarf-glittering caves, elf-rivendell, number of posts, etc. Because a nick definitely doesn't always tell you the gender of the person you're talking to. ( I know this problem, believe me)
But Tommie, you called yourself Tom Bombadill, what did you expect? Ha Ha Ha Smilie You're not suppose to tell the gender of a dwarf anyway. Wink Smilie

Nah I'm just kidding. What is an obvious male name for some may be a female name somewhere else. Florian is a good example of that (I never doubted he was a male though). Some people get really insulted if you guess the wrong gender. (Flo is NOT a good example of that!) But for me it would be enough to just click on the members profile and find out. (Less work for Tarrant as well). For starters anyway..
Quote:
But Tommie, you called yourself Tom Bombadill, what did you expect? You're not suppose to tell the gender of a dwarf anyway.

Yes, but... but I... Well it's not like... I didn't... Oh, ok, point taken. Animated Wink Smilie

My very first nick at PT actually was (don't laugh) "GandalfandShadowfax", but that one didn't last all that long. I got all sorts of comments from Plastic about being schizofrenic (which was kinda funny actually), and anyway I thought the nick was a slight bit too long, so I decided to make things a bit clearer. My new nick was "Tombombadillo", which caused a lot of gender confusion, especially among new members. Now I changed to "Tommie" because that is what people actually call me. (Like Mellie, nobody calls her MelliotSandybanks, do they? Well, same goes for my TomBombadillo nick.)

I don't think the gender problem is as big as it used to be, because in the past people assumed I was male, because of the "Tom" (naturally). But anyway, I never had any problems with people taking me for a male, I mean it's not like you can see it coming, can you? Oh well... Any solution will do, as long as it clears out the problem a little in the future.
How do you view someone's profile? I have been wondering this for a while now but just never said anything.
AmariŽ:
Quote:
When the "view members profile" option is available

Must wait a bit. "Be patient", says the Planet Deighty, the O' Wonderous Taz!
It would be cool if we could have a photo gallerie of the members. Anyone who would like to put his photo could stick it there. It would be great if only members could look at them. I think its a good idea.
There is a thread in one of the taverns called, "What do you look like" in which a few of the members did post links to pictures of themselves. There was a Council section too, containing a picture and a few words about each council member. I'm not sure if it is still around, but PlasticSquirrel set up a link to his own site on which members here could post their mugshots. In addition, if you look in the advertising section, you will find links to several members own sites.
There WAS also a photo gallery under the Art Galleries a lot like Etharion suggests, but we couldn't upload them ourselves. My picture was there and Celebrian and I as vikings, Perwing was there... little adorable Rachel as Frodo!! Ahh so cute!! Anyway, it might come back?
I love the new look! Much warmer, cosier and Tolkienier! Thumbs Up Smilie

The only thing I miss now is the bar at the top with "Home" and "Forums" etc. in it. That was a real handy one. Perhaps it can come back? Disturbed Smilie

Ehm. Oh yes, another thing: I've noticed that the little crowns of the community supporters have moved below their avatar. I think they looked better where they were. For all it's worth, that's what I think. Thanks for listening anyhow!

Todeloo!

Tommie
Quote:
love the new look! Much warmer, cosier and Tolkienier!
Me too! Thumbs Up Smilie

Quote:
Ehm. Oh yes, another thing: I've noticed that the little crowns of the community supporters have moved below their avatar. I think they looked better where they were.
Me too.

Hmm.. Since I seem to be under the influence (of a belgian sheep!) you probably shouldn't listen to me though.. Wink Smilie
i like how the forum and journals are to the side!! you just scroll over and poof there they are!! And the colors are awesome and i just like evrything!!
Woudnt it be cool if another location for you in PT was made(Rivendell,Moria..). I was thinking about something like Barad-Dur. Then everybody that likes being evil ( like Lord Aleric) could make their home there. Or maybe Minas-Morgul. What do you think?
I think you are forgetting Carn DŻm, and Dol Guldur. Very good idea.
YEA!! then we would know who to avoid!
about this whole post, I was just going to suggest someting like this and my homie, hh05 did the walk and talk while I thought.

I also think that we should have leaders for each race and city. like a leader for giving newbies helps and stuff the ones that are in their city or race.

Sorry, Taz, I'm adding all this to your tray of unfinished stuff.
That is a great idea!!! I love it!! that would help new people alot!! and that is a really awesome way too!! WAY TO GO!!
Yeah, the leaders would be a great idea. We could have a election or something.
I

I like the leader idea too, but I think there ought to be some restrictions. For a start: I don't think the council members should be leaders, I figure they have enough to do as it is. The idea of the leaders should be to take some of the work off the hands of the council, and to spread the work over more people.

An election would be the only fair thing to do, unless of course the council wants to appoint the leaders (if there ever will be any, of course) themselves.

And the leaders should be the persons to go to with questions, problems etc. They should in my humble opinion not be "leaders" as such, to avoid pople feeling better (or less) than someone else. And it might be wise if they report back to the council if necessary. The council should in all cases have the last, deciding word.

It's up to the council to decide on all this, but I back up Randallin's idea. It would first of all help the newbies find their way around the site (because it's awfully big, and if you're a complete stranger it must be terribly hard to find your way around). Secondly, it would give the council more space to do other things in. And lastly, it would be a great opportunity for people who, like me, would like to help PT grow and still keep it a nice, cosy site where everyone can feel themselves at home.
This is a great idea!

I agree with Tommie - should be members who are familiar with all aspects of the site.

An election is a good way to go, maybe people could put themselves 'up' first though. It's all very well electing who you think would do a good job, but it might take the pressure off if those people put themselves forward first.

Oh, I dunno - just thinking out loud really! There are a good lot of members @ PT who could take on the role(s) - & would have a solid group of 'fellow PT-ers' to help them out, if need be.

I'm not at all 'technical' but I would volunteer to help any of the 'Elected Leaders' with stuff if I could.
(See -
Quote:
stuff
- Me... technical...?!?! Pah!)

The 'Leader' thing though... hmm - As Tommie said. Another title perhaps? I'd suggest
'Agony Aunt' but I think that's going a little too far!! I'm sure there will be many suggestions on that if this happens anyway.

At the very least - as was said - it will take some of the load off our Council Members - That's gotta be a good thing!

That's all from me!

Take care all x
Wow. All this would be really cool!!! But we first have to see what Taz and the Council thinks. If this is to much for them we just cant force any more on them. They have enough allready!
and maybe the leaders could change after a long while. Iike with presidents!! but maybe not that long, 4 yrs!!
Quote:
I also think that we should have leaders for each race and city. like a leader for giving newbies helps and stuff the ones that are in their city or race

Actually, this was something we discussed in our early planning stages for the new PT. So it is not beyond the realm of possibility. Smile Smilie
It would be so cool and we wouldn't ahve to go to you council members every time we need to know something! (Which is what I did when I started) And we would have the greatest elections and the people up for election would start Vote for Me! threads (Only to be deleted after the election, of course) and there could be an extra section on the Message Board for it! Oh yes!

*starts breathing in and out very deeply and slowly to calm down
Yea, and we could narrow it down to two people then have the big voting thing!! Just like a presidential election!! And there would be a special place vote and the "VOTING BOOTH" would only be open for a certian amount of time!!!

*Megan your getting ahead of yourself!! Slow down!! And breath!!*

Quote:
And the leaders should be the persons to go to with questions, problems etc.

So, what would the Council members do? Isn't this rather taking their role away? Don't get me wrong, I quite like the idea of race/location 'leaders' , it could generate a lot of interest and activity.

Quote:
It would first of all help the newbies find their way around the site (because it's awfully big, and if you're a complete stranger it must be terribly hard to find your way around).

There is that . There must be other things as well.

Quote:
And lastly, it would be a great opportunity for people who, like me, would like to help PT grow and still keep it a nice, cosy site where everyone can feel themselves at home.

There is that as well.

How about 'Steward' for the Gondorians, 'Mouth of Sauron' for the Orcs, Mayor for the Hobbits.... a title rather than a person. And forums for the 'leaders' to publish their decrees and for specific issues to be raised. Maybe we could have 5-a-side football - Hobbits -v- Orcs and parties in Lothlorien!.

Thats great!!! It could state the persons title on his posts so we all know who he is. And the idea for partys and stuff is great!!! Lets come up with something more.
  [1] [2] >>