Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Avatar market ?possible?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website Suggestions > Avatar market ?possible?   
I came to the idea that it would be a cool idea if we could make an avatar market ! It would work on the principle that people that have or knew some good avatars could come hear and in a short descripcion say what it looks like. Or people that neded a avatar would come and ask if anybody had something similar. Even beter would be if members could pay for their new avatars with mithril for the fun of it. I for a start have a lott of nice avatars ranging from monsters and undead to elfs dwarfs and men. So WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS ALL ??? Cool Elf Smilie
This is a very good idea, Etharion. On the old PT we did have a selection of avatars for members to chose from as custom avatars had to be loaded by Taz and caused a bit of extra work for him. I like the idea of a marketplace where members can use mithril to purchase an avatar. I shall add this to the list of "Ways to spend Mithril".
Smile Smilie
Cool !!! Thanks Rednell . As i said i have loads of Avatars someone could use so ALL NEWBIES ARE WELCOME to ask about them. Curent groups of avatars> elfs, human, dwarf, undead, and some random pieces.
One thing that we have to be careful of is copyright infringement. It is by far better to create your own avatar or have one made for you.
that could be a problem but is it such a trouble to have these small pictures ?
Aniway we can just swap internet addreses of avatar sites.Right?

So what should i do Rednell, if i have a lot of D&D pictures from their books to use as avatars , ask them permision?

Im not going to do anything here before i get the Councils permision and do what is needed to give avatar pictures to other members.

So until they give me thums up ill do nothing , ok? By the way im a very enthuziastic person and thats why i came up with so much ideas so quickly. I will not be hurt even if you tell me that nothing of this is posible and that im just a moron, so there

Moderator Smilie Hi there Etharion! Donít mind me, Iíve just taken the liberty to condense your 4 posts into 1 for the sake of organizing the site while Iím here.

We appreciate your enthusiasm, and your avatar suggestion, and we also thank you for contacting Council concerning this matter first. (This is always the correct course of action with anything such as this). We are currently looking into to some new avatar related ideas for PT! Elfstone
Moderator Smilie
Well what else can I say than that I agree with all Rednell has said.

It is very nice of you to share your avatars Etharion. Smile Smilie
Thanks Amarie. Does that mean that i can share my avatars...?
Etharion: I'd suggest you shouldn't share them if you get them from copyrighted material, like from TRS/Wizards of the Coast, meanwhile, just sit back and wait while the council talks about it. Happy Elf Smilie

And next time, instead of making post after post with no one making intervening ones, just hit the edit button and add to your last post. That way you won't appear to be a flibbery-gibbet. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
I for a start have a lott of nice avatars ranging from monsters and undead to elfs dwarfs and men. So WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS ALL ???

REally? THese avatars sound cool. Could I have one/

Quote:
This is a very good idea, Etharion. On the old PT we did have a selection of avatars for members to chose from as custom avatars had to be loaded by Taz and caused a bit of extra work for him. I like the idea of a marketplace where members can use mithril to purchase an avatar. I shall add this to the list of "Ways to spend Mithril".

Sounds great! I want an avatar!
This is brilliant! I need an avatar and am willing to give up quite a bit of mithril for it. Any takers?(Please?Can I buy one from someone?)How would this work?

Thank you.
OK Grondy. People you heard what Grondy said so i have to wait.By the way my avatars that im changing all the time are something like a comercial, if you like one remember it and when this stuff is aproved maybe youl get it.
By the way , iv got deitey signs(god of this aand that ...you know) and a few new stuff.
Do you draw the pictures yourself, Etharion? If so, there is no copywrite issue, and there shouldn't be any problem with other members contacting you for one. At present, however, we have no system in place for spending or trading in Mithril. No doubt once we do, everyone will feel very rich for a short while.
Ooo no Valedhelgwath. I could draw a sheep but thats really it . I get them from D&D books. Thats why i asked about the copyright thingy.I mean we have to use them, its a waste leting them just stand there. But il wait until the Council tells me what to do.
Its a pity i cant start trading Avatars now. I have quite a few of them and it breaks my heart to watch them just stand there collecting dust Orc Sad Smilie
Just give it time, Etharion. Smile Smilie
Well, since Etharion was wondering about an Avatar market, I bet the only way people could legally use those avatars was to get written permission from their owners, but, I'm a pretty good artist, an dI wouldn't mind contributing to a Avatar market. Like, maybe, whoever gives a avatar gets some mithril, or something. Well, that's my idea.
I am a loser, and can't find a good one...I really need one, I'm starting to feel left out Wink Smilie
BTW, where I am, I'm really not posting at 4:30 in the morning haha
Dont wory people !!! As soon as i get the permision to use them il start asking you what kind of avatar you want.
So untill the copyright holders say it is ok, let the avatars rest ok Etharion? You may not be allowed to use them evenif you do ask nicely. Moderator Smilie
Please e-mail the council when you get your reply, it will be very interesting to know what they say. Smile Smilie
Will do Amarie !
That sounds really cool!
I was wondering if you guys could help me? I've been trying to upload a new avatar but I'm unable. Do you guys know what I should do? Any help you could give me would be great.
Take a look at how do I get an avatar (which you started by the way Moonstar. Wink Smilie ) to get (or ask for) some advice. Smile Smilie
Even if you get permission to use the images as an avatar, pay very close attention to the wording. The chances are, if permission is granted, it will be for your PERSONAL usage, not for sharing with other people.
Ah yes. But i asked if the pictures could be used at PT, not personaly for me ! If they get it wrong ill try asking again.
But you are not an administrator of Planet-Tolkien and therefore cannot ask on our behalf. If you get permission, it will be for your own personal use.
We are working on getting a selection of avatars made especially for PT users. Stay tuned.
For everybody looking for a gif animationfactory.com pics are all gifs
Really Red ? Darn!!! Angry Elf Smilie Then i gota think of something, because im not going to give up the D&D avatar trading ide a, there is so much cool avatars.

Moderator Smilie Mellie just changed the spelling on a word, so that it would not be offensive to anyone. Remember people this is a family website. Moderator Smilie
Hey watch your language!! Didn't you read Rednell's rules for members of PT to follow?? If you haven't it's right here!! Just Kidding!! (geez I sound like a moderator!!! AHHHHHHH!!!)
I sent the question to WOTC but i stll didnt get a reply. I would like to know what should i do? I cant wait to use my avatars but if they dont answer, then what? Please some help here...

P.S. Sorry about the rude language, didnt realize i cant write that...
It is a breach of copywrite laws to use anybody's work, for whatever purpose, without their permission. In the front of most books you will find a small notice telling you what you can, and more importantly cannot do with the contents of that publication. For instance, in my copy of the Hobbit there is the following copywrite notice....

Quote:
This book is copywrite under the Berne Convension. All rights reserved. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review, as permitted under the Copywrite Act, 1956, no part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, electric, chemical, mechanical, optical, photo copying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the copywrite owner.

Almost all books will have this, or a more modern version of this notice. As you can see, beyond a fairly limited application , there is very little you are allowed to do with the contents of the book beyond reading it, or using it for study/research. Technically, by copying and reproducing the copywrite notice, I am in breach of the copywrite myself and could be liable for prosecution. Anyone who copies a passage from the book and posts it here, for whatever reason, are breaching the electronic reproduction part. They are again liable for prosecution.

In reality, like copying music, it is something everyone does, and because so many people break the rules, there is little the copywrite owners can do. Basically, because so many people break the rules, they tend to get overlooked. That is only the case for the millions of small-time infringements, however. If you burn off a copy of your favourite CD, the odds are no one will bat an eyelid. If, however, you burn off a hundred copies and proceed to sell them on your local market, it will not be too long before someone begins to take notice and have you dragged away for an afternoon of questioning.

The same applies here. If the owners of the pictures you are stealing (and it is stealing, because what you are committing is "interlectual theft") see just one of them, they'll probably think someone's nicked one of our pictures, and do nothing about it (it costs a lot of money to sue someone). If, on the other hand, they see lots of their pictures floating around, they might very well do something about it.

Most people ignore copywrite laws because they don't know anyone who has prosecuted for such an offense. I didn't either until last year when a firm of solicitors working for Tolkien Estates began breathing down Taz's neck. That is why we no longer have Middle Earth maps, Tolkien poetry, or artwork on the site. They made us take them down. Several other sites who did not comply with similar "requests" were forcibly shut down. They even claimed ownership of the site name!!

Copywrite, therefore, is something that is real, and without a doubt we are being watched. Planet Tolkien is large enough to come under their scrutiny, so we have to be very careful. Unfortunately, if the copywrite owners decided to come down heavy on you for stealing their property, they would also come down heavy on Taz because he owns the site and is responsible for what gets put on here. The site is full of copywrite infringements (all those Avatars taken from film stills to name just one example), but as long as it is kept small scale, the owners generally will not be bothered to take out a prosecution. Begin trading stolen pictures, however, and they might.

To overcome copywrite problems we are hoping to create a set of Avatars from original artwork, so that Planet Tolkien either owns or has permission to use the work. Some people are happy to have their work used in such a way because it is seen as being free advertising.

If you do get specific permission to recreate their pictures as Avatars, for the intention of sharing and displaying etc, then by all means it will be great to use them. Until you have that permission, however, we cannot endorse their use.

Sorry if that was long winded, but I hope it was clear.
I know all that. I asked for permison , but they didnt answer!!! So now i dont know what to do. Anyway, i would like to share my avatars and as im not the webmaster (for a good reason) i cant ask on the behalfof the others, so there.........
Quote:
If you do get specific permission to recreate their pictures as Avatars, for the intention of sharing and displaying etc, then by all means it will be great to use them. Until you have that permission, however, we cannot endorse their use.

I thought that part was clear enough.
Aha...well il send the question about the permision again and then well se, ok?
I got the reply on my question for the permision...
Quote:
Unfortunately, we cannot give permission to use material from our products or website. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you are looking to license materials, you need to contact our legal department at the following address...

Too bad eh? I guees i have to ask at the other adres they gave me. I dont really understand it in english so if somebody can tell me what , how and where i have to send the question, i would be very gratefull...The addres is the following...

Quote:

Wizards of the Coast
Attn: Legal
PO Box 707
Renton, WA 98057-0707
Quote:
If you are looking to license materials, you need to contact our legal department at the following address

It means that it will cost you big bucks to use the avatars. To licence the materials you pay a fee for the use. For example, Fruit of the Loom would pay a fee to Warner Brothers for a license to put Bugs Bunny's picture on children's underwear, which is why it costs a lot more money for "licensed" clothing. If you contact the Wizards of the Coast legal department they will work out how much money you will have to pay and send along a contract for you to sign. So, the simple answer to your inquiry is: sorry but no you cannot use the D&D avatars for free.
Aha , thanks for clearing that out for me.Well too bad.
Its a pity i cant use them, but the Avatar Market should stil work ok.