Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: What is acceptable?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website Suggestions > What is acceptable?   
Following a mini-tirade by someone in the chatroom about all the "non-tolkien" posts, can I request a formal announcment from the council members, about what kind of forum posts are acceptable, and in which forum?

The said tirade has made me even more reluctant than usual to post anything, which, in a community like this, isn't a good thing.
I just found out it was my tirade Mil is talking about, I had no idea, that was not what I meant at all. I was just babbling away and I can see now how it could be misinterpreted. I'm really really sorry! Sad Smilie

I have nothing at all against non-tolkien posts. In fact they play a huuuge part in builing a community and making friends in here. But I do wish there were more Tolkien discussions as well.

----------------------------
In short and in a bit of a hurry:

The Taverns are for everything that doesn't fit elsewere, Tolkien related or not. As long as it follows the rules of course. Wink Smilie (You'll find the rules under Website Help)

The Ivy Bush tavern have become the game tavern, all games posted elsewhere will be moved there simply so they can be easier to find.

The guilds: You like to write? Art? Photography? RGP? To do nothing at all? You may find people with the same interests here.

Advertisements- here you can advertice your home page or any other site or information you think the reader of PT might like to see. There is a lot of good stuff there, including a link to my site. Smile Smilie

Questions about avatars and things like that should be posted under Website Help, it is easier to get in contact with us there, and your question might already have been answerd there earlier.

----------------------------
I know this site is big and confusing, don't be afraid to ask if there is something you are wondering about. There are no stupid questions!! We can be reached at council@planet-tolkien.com if you don't want to post your question in the forum.
Quote:
I just found out it was my triade Mil is talking about

Shocked Smilie You have your own triad???!? The swordswinging, succubus wiking has her own triad?? Ok, that's it! I'm NOT going home to Norway!! Ha Ha Ha Smilie Big Smile Smilie Angel Smilie

Fingers crossed for the exam girl! Read Smilie Then again... I guess the teacher will be "cooperative". Paranoid Smilie
You wrote viking with a w? You CAN'T come back to Norway now!! Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Wiking= woman viking Animated Wink Smilie Very Big Grin Smilie Tongue Smilie

*off to get new passport. Hmm.. Polish? Why not! Taack.*
Quote:
Following a mini-tirade by someone in the chatroom about all the "non-tolkien" posts, can I request a formal announcment from the council members, about what kind of forum posts are acceptable, and in which forum?

Our forum has been around for a while now, and no one can expect a new member to read through every post before making their own first post or asking a question on how to do something. Likewise, it is easy for members to post things that are out of topic or in the entirely wrong section. A consequence of this, however, is that over time the forum gets untidy, and many of the more interesting threads can become lost amid all the others. Every now and again the Council has to tidy things up a little, otherwise all we create is a huge mess. Moving threads is not has easy as it might seem, however, and potentially the "spring clean" is a huge task. I wasn't in chat to see Amarie's "mini-tirade", but I am sure it wasn't a complaint about all the "non-tolkien" posts, just a certain few that have emerged and grown in places they perhaps shouldn't have. Some are pointless "chit-chat" threads that should not be on the forum in the first place (that's what PM or Chat is for), while others are simply posts with no objective other than boosting a person's post count. Again, I do not blame new members for not knowing better, but how many times have you seen someone ask how to place an Avatar, followed by the same helpful responses (and more often than not, a reply that they still cannot do it).

I believe it was these type of posts that Amarie was referring to, because they have been the subject of some discussion by the Council recently. Beyond the rules which accompany your password confirmation email, we have no hard and fast rules on what can be posted and where... Most of it is fairly logical, as Amarie has mapped out in her post above. With a little forethought, there shouldn't be too many problems. We do have a lot of new members, however, and recently good discussion topics have tended to become buried amidst "chatter" and "how do I?" posts. For those of us here because we love Tolkien's (and/or PJ's) work, which at the end of the day should be all of us, this can be rather off-putting.

Simply put, if you are thinking of starting a new thread, or asking a question, just pause for a moment and have a quick look to see if it has already been posted or asked. The forum will be a better place for all if this is adhered to.

Many thanks.
So much about Tolkien's work has already been discussed and with newbies coming in all the time some discussions may well take off again but the longer serving members of PT are probably sick to death of some.

I agree with a lot of what Val says but the 'idle chatter' serves the purpose of providing contact for those who can't get enough PT and keeps some people occupied until a decent thread discussion comes along.

I'd advise people not to just read those threads that come up in the right hand menu..... but to sift through all the forums bit by bit and pick out interesting threads.
Pixie Smilie Me agrees verrrry much with Vee the Wise here!

In my unexpected vacation I was here everyday, and pretty much all day. (This was when I started posting outside the Ivy Bush) I wouldn't have bothered if there were not some continual activity here, most of it non-Tolkien and a good bit of it chit-chat. Obviously you all would have appreciated it if I had just kept on lurking, but some of the other newbies do bring some value to this board. Animated Wink Smilie

For those that visit a lot every day the development of the chit-chat can be quite interesting. "Oh, wonder what she'll respond to that!" For those that visit every weekend or 2-3 times pr month these (by then dead) threads must come off as rather silly and boring.. So the question then is: which group should have "priority"? Those who post a lot and contribute, or (the bulk of the members) that mostly just read?

An observation: A new thread is posted. Yes, 4 or 5 identical threads do exist, forgotten somewhere. A spur of activity, and within the day there has been 10-15 replies. A CM comes along, and correctly points out that there already are a thread about this, let's go there shall we?, and the discussion dies off completely...

Now, this was not the intention of the CM, and in a world populated by rational beeings such an intervention would not kill of the discussion. However, rational is not a good description of humans..

I think most members, old and new, find it interesting to read all those new posts, although they might be about an old theme. Perhaps it would be better to just let the threads multiply, and then ,when they slow down eventually (and Taz makes it a bit easyer for the CM's to splice threads Wink Smilie ) move them together. That way you keep the initiative and some order, while (hopefully eventually) not overloading the CM's workload.

Also, some posts do have a "best before" date, and it would really not be a loss if they went missing after a while. AmariŽ's and mine (mis)spelling contest as an example, especially since she has edited away her mistake! Cheating!! Tongue Smilie
Quote:
I'd advise people not to just read those threads that come up in the right hand menu..... but to sift through all the forums bit by bit and pick out interesting threads.

That is a good advise! There is A LOT of good stuff on this site, something is bound to catch your interest!
They are valid points, Grev. I think the problem for us at the moment, is as you mentioned, we don't have the tools to move posts en masse like we used to. On the old PT it wasn't too difficult to move entire threads around and keep the place tidy, but at present we are struggling to do so.

I think in time, when Taz has the site running smoothly, as well as having a host of wonderful features for everyone, the Council will also have a full range of editting tools. Until then we'll simply do our best.
Oh RevGrev, I wish you'd join the Quest!
Heh! Why? You are fishing up characters out of the sea by the trawlful at the moment! Big Smile Smilie Just keep em wet, so they don't die on you! Elf Winking Smilie

Wiggle Smilie
Let's see if we can hook ourselves a little fishy....
Leave the fishy alone, Vee!! He's already terrified of all of our plotting...as well he should be... Very Big Grin Smilie
Quote:
So much about Tolkien's work has already been discussed and with newbies coming in all the time some discussions may well take off again but the longer serving members of PT are probably sick to death of some..

Naw, never get sick of it at all, Vee. I think you will find most long serving members are so passionate about Tolkien that the opportunity to share is most welcome, whether we have talked about it before or not. That is what obssession is all about. Ha Ha Ha Smilie
As Val has mentioned it is difficult to find all of the topics already discussed at the moment so if you have a Tolkien topic for one of the Tolkien threads, go for it.
I Amen! to what Rednell just said. Happy Elf Smilie

I added this line so my post didn't become an sick raptor (ill eagle) one-liner. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie