Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Update Message Board

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website Suggestions > Update Message Board   
Is it time to dust off the old mop?
I know that it is a great work behind this site (and all credits to you!) but cant we do something to seperate (or clear) the Message Board. You can find old threads from early 2004 (or even older?)

Duck Smilie
If you or anyone else had bothered to read those old threads you would learn SO MUCH! I would be very disappointed if Grep decied to delete them and I would fight it will all my might.

And that is my (not so) humble opinion. Wink Smilie

Next! Smile Smilie
Me agree. LET THE OLD POSTS LIVE!!!!

BEing an oldie myself. THis is my 1200th post!!!

Why, I remember how pseudo-Silmarils first existed. Someone asked Grondy if they could have a shiny bauble for getting their answer right. And the next person didn't want to be outdone. So Grondy started giving out pseudo-Silmarils. You remember, Amarie?
lol
I wish I had found this community longer ago...this is the greatest website I've ever been a part of, and ever will be. Someday soon, I'm going to read through those old messages! I will gain much knowledge Wink Smilie No, Grep has no point in deleating them! They should LIVE!!! Someday, they could even be brought back
Quote:
You remember, Amarie?

I do, and I remember the cuddly badgers Plastic gave out. Ahhh the memories...

Oh, I really recomend that everybody takes a look at the threads where all the past Post Of the Week (as it was called back then) are posted. If you don't have time to look at old thread (very few do), at least look at the POWs. You won't regret it!
Sorry, I can't reminisce about old times. I'm fairly new, but I've read a few older posts. They all help give PT the atmosphere it needs.
I didnt mean anything offensive when I wrote this. You have a point... maybe I should take a look around. The reasonwhy I wrote this was because I tried to join a role-play and I think it was Vee who wrote that the role-play was down... That made me wonder if it was time to "update" the board.
We have quite a few current RPGs and some have been going for some time. Unfortunately we also have a few that have fallen into oblivion because the players have disappeared. It would probably be a good idea to 'lock' those threads and just keep the current ones running. Locked threads can always be unlocked again if necessary.
Quote:
The reasonwhy I wrote this was because I tried to join a role-play and I think it was Vee who wrote that the role-play was down...

If this means you don't like Vee, just send a message to D-rob, I'm sure he will give you some "guidance" (just kidding).

But I do see your point.
HINT: It might be a little smarter for the newbies to wander around with their eyes and ears open for a few days and maybe write a hundred posts or so, rather than right off opening their mouths asking for a revamp of the forum because our format isn't what they're used to. Else someone may rudely suggest that if they don't like it, they may leave. As rudeness amongst our members is frowned upon, please try not to upset the inmates and stay out of range of the gorilla cage. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
I am pretty new, but I have enjoyed looking at the old threads. I don't think we should update the message boards in that way, but I do have two questions about them-
1. Why do old enough threads or posts have dates from 1970- from what I've been reading, the site didn't exist then? (just curious)
2. What is with the symbols beside the thread titles? What are the criteria for a thread being "red hot" or "just getting going" (That is how it explains them when I pass my cursor over them)? For example, the Khazad-Dumish Inn is right now at the top of the just posted list on the right of my screen and has 114 pages- but is "just getting going" according to the symbol, while "Help with bookshelf" is on the bottom and has 2 pages. So... what???
Yey, you read the old posts! Big Smile Smilie

1) Taz (the creator) made a new forum for Planet Tolkien, and the posts lost their dates when they were moved. Posts posted after the move has correct dates.

2) I have no idea why they have different colours, it can be how often people have posted in them today (or during some period of time). The Kazad-dumish inn have only had 3 posts today (so far), Help with bookshelf have 10. That is my best guess so far.
2) The red-orangish envelopes or mailbags are overflowing and rather than indicating a great number of pages,they indicate instead a great number of posts within it. My very cursory inspection showed those with more than 200 posts were colored red-orangish; though I don't know if that or 199, or 201, is the actual change point. Teacher Smilie
Then why, when I run my cursor over them (the red-orangish ones), do they say, "This thread is just getting going!" and the yellow ones say, "This topic is red hot!"? Is it just some messed up thing with my server and they're supposed to be the other way around?
Don't worry about the colours or what text they have. They used to have a mission years ago on the old forum where there also were opened and closed envelopes, but now they don't matter much. It is what's inside the threads that counts anyway, don't you agree? Don't judge a thread by its colour. Elf Winking Smilie
Quote:
HINT: It might be a little smarter for the newbies to wander around with their eyes and ears open for a few days and maybe write a hundred posts or so, rather than right off opening their mouths asking for a revamp of the forum because our format isn't what they're used to. Else someone may rudely suggest that if they don't like it, they may leave. As rudeness amongst our members is frowned upon, please try not to upset the inmates and stay out of range of the gorilla cage.

As I explained earlier (and I dont know how I can make myself clear in this matter) this thread was about the roleplaying-area. Someone suggested that you mabe could lock this threads and re-open them later if anybody was interested. You can find very interesting threads that is old and expect to be occupied for years (and that is good!). And I think that this debate became a lot more serious than I intended to. This wasnt a "aha-I-want-to-complain" thred, it was just a retoric question. It seems that this became a personal matter for many of you and (again) this wasnt by purpose...
Sorry Eithin, that wasn't meant specifically for you, it was to be a more general complaint about the world as a Hole. I just chose this thread to let off steam. We still love you. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Well, if we want to discuss updating the message board, we could udpate it to read "threaD topic" instead of "threaT topic" though. Threat topic sounds pretty good though...maybe we shouldn't change it...
Grond: thank you Smile Smilie