Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Awards

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website Suggestions > Awards   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] >>
I believe it would be "senses of humor" (actually, "senses of humour") as "commanders-in-chief," "fathers-in-law. " I'm still wrestling with "more serious, and have better senses of humour," myself. ;-p As to the other, I'm not so sure; maybe European men just mature faster. American "men" tend to want to play for a while period, and too many of them put off growing up for far too long (the idea seems to be if you can postpone it long enough you can move straight into a second childhood.)
Actually, that's probably true, they probably do mature faster because they are treated like adults younger than Americans. They are given more responsibility and more trust at an earlier age. Americans don't seem to trust that their teenagers can make appropriate decisions. In general, we are waaaayyy too babied and sheltered for too long.
Quote:
Actually, that's probably true, they probably do mature faster because they are treated like adults younger than Americans.

Why yes, that's probably because at age 12 every European boy is sent into the Siberian steppe for 1 year with only a Swiss pocket knife to survive. When one is forced to chew on the barks of conifers to have at least something to eat, I guess one indeed matures pretty quickly.

Quote:
I found that American men just play so many more games, not really knowing what they want, wanting to play the field, blah, blah, blah, but the European men I have dated all seem to tell it like it is and to know what they want or don't want.

My two cents : that's probably because in the US there is a whole 'dating culture' amongst youngsters that already starts in junior school and culminates in the prom (which is for a lot of youngsters the exact moment where they lose their virginity) - all that sappy stuff you can see in most American teen comedies and shows.

This dating culture doesn't exist in Europe (at least, mainland Europe), which could be the reason why Europeans don't go fooling around but usually go straight through sea.

Quote:
They are so much better than the American dudes you see most times now. They're more serious and usually have a better sense of humour.

The English might say the same about their 'dudes' (though that would be 'geezers' or 'blokes').

That's because ppl are never content and always complain, which makes it always better somewhere else.
Quote:
maybe European men just mature faster. American "men" tend to want to play for a while period, and too many of them put off growing up for far too long (the idea seems to be if you can postpone it long enough you can move straight into a second childhood

Hold on, people, hold on... These days humans take life WAY too seriously. Besides, playing games like you did when you were a little kid is good for you. Grondy, when was the last time you ran or walked around pretending that you were an airplane? Probably years and years ago.

Virumor, when was the last time you found yourself playing with your childhood toys (probably wooden ducks, but in my opinion, those are the best Smile Smilie )?

And you know what? It's all those little things in life that make you happy and joyful. Reliving your childhood as a little kid doesn't mean that you have to make brash decisions or do things irresponsibly. Live your childhood richly again, if only for a small moment, and you will rediscover the joy that lies there inside them. To those who haven't grown up yet, don't do it too quickly. Be responsible, but don't forsake the only chance you get to live truely free. If by chance you are one of those unfortunate people who didn't really have a childhood, my heart goes out to you. You have missed one of the most crucial points of your life. In this current world, society doesn't let you cannot reclaim the childhood that you never had.
Quote:
Virumor, when was the last time you found yourself playing with your childhood toys (probably wooden ducks, but in my opinion, those are the best )?

7th of January, 1486.

Quote:
And you know what? It's all those little things in life that make you happy and joyful. Reliving your childhood as a little kid doesn't mean that you have to make brash decisions or do things irresponsibly. Live your childhood richly again, if only for a small moment, and you will rediscover the joy that lies there inside them. To those who haven't grown up yet, don't do it too quickly. Be responsible, but don't forsake the only chance you get to live truely free. If by chance you are one of those unfortunate people who didn't really have a childhood, my heart goes out to you. You have missed one of the most crucial points of your life. In this current world, society doesn't let you cannot reclaim the childhood that you never had.

Sounds like a typical sappy lecture from Seventh Heaven or Falcon's Crest. Did you copy it from there?
I don't think the Americans have a second childhood, though. They're just elongating their adolescent period so they'll savour their youth more fully by dating as many girls as they possibly can before settling down. That is why you shouldn't go out with people in the States, especially if that person is someone you have to see everyday. Cuz after you break up, you have to avoid each other forever, and the more you date, the more you have to hide from. Soon you'll be confined to the girls' room or something.

Most Americans don't even date for love. They date someone who they don't know much about in order to gain knowledge of them. As soon as they discover more and more distasteful aspects of the guy, they break up with him.

Europeans are generally more mature. And they're not as easy-dating. They actually choose their partners, you know?
What, so now I have to go overseas to get a date? Or just a decent one?

Meanwhile, if we can have banner ads with "JESUS DIDN'T EXIST" does that means it's OK for me to make the opposite case on the forum? Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Edit: HTH? Notice, btw, how I did this as an edit rather than posting a single line of three letters and punctuation. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie Typically the way I deal with these kinds of issues is to never initiate but always respond. It's one thing not have a religious discussion, and quite another to let people take free shots, and in banner ads at that. From a purely historical perspective I've never heard of a reputable scholar of any faith or none that disputes the existence, which, to me, is indicative of an agenda when someone does. It's like asking if Pliny existed, or Tacitus, or Josephus (and no, these examples were not chosen at random; they all provide relevant testimony on the matter at hand.)
No.

HTH.

What banner ads? All I see is a bunch of tiny ones wanting us to visit Hurin's son. Are you sure the banner didn't read 'He is Risen !!!' ? That makes more sense to me than wasting a vacation with an imaginary character in Italy. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie
If only. I'll send you a link next time I see it, unless of cours it's been removed now, in which case I'll just say, "good show" to our host.
hmm i see 'Have an Elvish Wedding' its funny if you arent an elf you wouldnt be invited
This is wierd... maybe the next prize i dish out will be an elvish prom ticket
just one elvish prom ticket??? now that would be a little sad, arriving without a date? Big Smile Smilie

Clover, is it at the end of May that the awards are awarded or the begining???
Oh dear, where have I been?

Best coward: D-rob (he's so scared he had to sneak around the whole of March, and for April he doesn't even show up for fear someone's going to give him an award!)
Best smile: Grondy (for dishing out twenty smilies in a row in the thread Smilies)
Most chocolatey: Who likes chocolate or the word "mor"? hands up!!!
Pop-up Prize: Pancakebeast and Thwarg have both popped up unexpectedly during this time and let's hope they embark on the journey to becoming a jack-in-the-box
Best ranger: Mungo (he's covered every word of the whole trilogy and even makes quizzes about them)
Best axeman: Sorry grondy, but you're too honest a dwarf to wield a big heavy hammer, and this award goes to... Gimli_axe_wielder
Best bowman: Fionwe Urion (his avatar suggests something, but we'll have an archery contest in the Inn to prove that)
Most darty: none
Most silly: Elessar lossehelin (I admit he can be serious at times, but y'know...)
Most knitty-gritty: Grep (he does all the computing work for us)
Best spelling-saint: Miruvor, without a doubt, just look at our lovely poll!
Most rose-like: Amarie (she's just always lingering in the background, giving off such a scent that invigorates and soothes at the same time)
Best witch-in-waiting: Vee (you're still waiting for me, the Prime Witch to die so you can rule. Now will you try assassination?)
Worst flirt: Morambar (you haven't heard from your girl for two weeks?)
Best analyser of the neverending subject of Men: Eruwen 9refer to the previous posts in this thread for that)
Sorest loser: Eruwen (there, now you have two awards, now if you don't cry mommy will buy you a lollipop)
Best crybaby: ummm...let's leave this blank for now, I'm sure there will be many members up for it after they see the awards.
Most floaty: Maydmarion (she needs someone to bring her back to earth and knock some memory into her)
Best geek: Perhaps Icey would love to get this award, since she's so tired of people calling her a barbarian wolf, but I dunno...
Most committed writer: Rednell (she comes back and goes straight to the Writer's Guild, doesn't even say hi to us first, not that we blame her)
Most surely scheduled to be killed: Fionwe and Elessar share this award (both of you should watch out for glitter powder in your pillows and clover extracts in your morning cereal)
Most revered: No one, really...

And finally, the TWO Elvish Prom tickets go to....

*drumroll*

Amarie (because I feel guilty for not remembering her birthday)

And that's not it, folks,
there're still the two free Princess Diaries DVDs, with a real princess gown attached as a gift, to be won!

And that goes to...Miruvor!!!!!!!!! Since he loves it so much ! And please wear the gown, I'm sure we'll all enjoy seeing you parade in front of us as a model.

And that's still not it! For the people who are unhappily living in the UK, please go to Cloverair or Air Clover ltd. to purchase a non-refundable ticket to America (30% off!) where you can see what Americans really look like! And for those unhappily in America, please go to United Clover Airlines ltd to purchase a non-refundable ticket to England (30% off!) where you can get a blast of blokes speaking foreign English you can actually understand!

What are you waiting for? Call 1-800-CLOVER today!

Quote:
Best witch-in-waiting: Vee (you're still waiting for me, the Prime Witch to die so you can rule. Now will you try assassination?)

Sorry Cloveress but not only am I a witch, I am also a Goddess with the power of edit and delete. So be afraid... be very afraid...

Nice Try Award goes to.... Cloveress.

Wiggle Smilie
Quote:
Sorry Cloveress but not only am I a witch, I am also a Goddess with the power of edit and delete. So be afraid... be very afraid...

ooooo...Is that right? I'm shivering in my pajamas now for fear of the Goddess of Deletion... Oh I'm just so so so scared...

*runs crying to find Amarie the nicer CM*

Quote:
Nice Try Award goes to.... Cloveress.

Yes, and I'll be trying to bribe CMs again. Though maybe a bribe is not needed now that Miruvor is a CM. All you have to do is infuriate him enough to make him show his political powers.
Quote:
I'm shivering in my pajamas now for fear of the Goddess of Deletion... Oh I'm just so so so scared...

*runs crying to find Amarie the nicer CM*

Have you read the Belgariad? You're quite alike to Ce'Nedra.
No I haven't read whatever that book is. but I see your hinting at who the nxt "best crybaby" should be...
Well, if I buy a ticket, it won't be to hear the accents on the blokes. And I've managed to get a response from my beloved Aes Sedai: she's discovered you need an evite to use gmail, and trying to decide whether she trusts me enough to reveal her current email address so she can get one from me. Reservations increase. I mean, c'mon, I'm safe enough to send NBs of which I could post very few here (not that I would anyway, but you get the point) but not to reveal your email address? I dunno, Davy....

All of which combines to send me reeling from wotmania! in disgust and sulking my way through the recently discovered WoTMUD. Watch out for male channelers; they Broke the world, ya know....

Congrats to all the winners, especially me ;-p and thanks, Cloveress.
you'll forgive me not understanding 90% of the post above, I'm sure. But I'm glad you have your date back again, and I'm also glad that she has enough sense to be cautious around you.

Congrats to all the winners !
Now......you know why I'm Floaty (apart from being a fairy - still waiting for the fairy smilie Grep.......) anyway - you're sooo right Clover - it's coz I'm in lurve with a man from Scotland and these are the BEST type of man (he looks grrreat in a kilt - swoon) In Love Smilie I ask you, how can I come down off my cloud....he's got a great accent too. Thank you for my award (gush..gush..gush)

Quote:
How could you replace Amarie with Maydmarion?!? no offence Maydmarion!

none taken Loss Very Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie Very Sad Smilie
That was a looooooong time ago, i had never even talked to you, ive never talked to Amarie either youve been abit more nice to me anyway, so now id choose........... (well what do you think) Winking Smilie, you seem more welcome to talk to, hmm ill stop whilst im ahead, if i dig too deep ill end up upside down or downside up, anyway, what do you mean im silly Tongue Smilie i suppose i am Tongue Smilie cool well ill wait for next months thank you Clover!!
And I didn't win anything....

Oh wait...
Quote:
Best crybaby: ummm...let's leave this blank for now, I'm sure there will be many members up for it after they see the awards.

Gee... thanks...
Quote:
Best bowman: Fionwe Urion (his avatar suggests something, but we'll have an archery contest in the Inn to prove that)

Thanks Cloveress, I like archery, but in real life, I'm not the greatest.

Quote:
Most surely scheduled to be killed: Fionwe and Elessar share this award (both of you should watch out for glitter powder in your pillows and clover extracts in your morning cereal)

My character is immune to most poison, remember?Na-na-na-na-na Smilie
But thanks anyway, two awards!
To MOST poisons, yes. I'd worry if I were you. Wink Smilie

Ahh... a prom! I'll get to wear my lovely red princess dress again! *sighs happily*
Quote:
Best analyser of the neverending subject of Men: Eruwen 9refer to the previous posts in this thread for that)

Oooo...I love analyzing Men. Oh wait, maybe I just love Men, especially foreign ones. Let's see, my ex-boyfriends have been from Russia, Israel, Kosovo, Germany, England, India, Serbia...I think that's it; and my husband is from England. I have been just a little boy-crazy my entire life.

Quote:
Sorest loser: Eruwen (there, now you have two awards, now if you don't cry mommy will buy you a lollipop)

Hey, I thought I was the most "mother-like" or matronly or whatever it was. Does that mean I have to buy myself a lollipop? Sad Smilie
Quote:
Let's see, my ex-boyfriends have been from Russia, Israel, Kosovo, Germany, England, India, Serbia...I think that's it; and my husband is from England.

Have you worked at the UN, or what?
No, I think that might have been a bit overwhelming if I had. Talk about too much choice!Wink Smilie Somehow, I just end up being drawn to foreigners. I don't seek them out, I swear!
OK then, you worked as a cheerleader for the Harlem Globetrotters?
Nice going there, Losse, I'm glad you agree with me about the awards.

Fionwe, I think that's one and a half awards for you, but great times anyways. I know I'll have a great time concocting a poison you are vulnerable to, so let's hope you enjoy the last of your days... Very Big Grin Smilie "So dies the great archer, defeated at last, by the invisible arrows of the Cloveress..." that would be such a great ending to your biography (if anyone would be so kind as to write it).

Wow, I guess I am clever Angel Smilie , Maydmarion. Go on to Wonderland, my fellow fairy, there the Queen of Hearts will probably be waiting to slam you back to earth, but that's alright, I'll be right here and down to earth in welcoming you back. But enjoy being infatuated, it's a good feeling... Animated Wink Smilie

Eruwen, don't you feel proud as the one who authentically got two awards? Well, to tell the truth, Miruvor actually had some potential to become the "Best Analyser on Men", only I thought he lacked the objective view on Men from a woman's point of view (pretty hypocritcal, but it does exist).But you don't need to buy yourself a lollipop, I'm sure our Father Grondy could spare one little treat from his gigantic larder (which he hoards so jealously) for you.
Quote:
only I thought he lacked the objective view on Men from a woman's point of view (pretty hypocritcal, but it does exist).

I do agree with the woman's point of view that "men are pigs". Now where's my award?
how about...

Most Pig like??? Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Oink Smilie Oink Smilie Oink Smilie Oink Smilie Oink Smilie Oink Smilie
Just one question: if men are pigs, what does that make women...? ;-p
Sows.
If men are pigs, and women sows, where does that leave the pigs and sows?
Quote:
I know I'll have a great time concocting a poison you are vulnerable to, so let's hope you enjoy the last of your days...

And I'll be busy making an antidote, that is, if you don't poison me first. Wary Smilie
I don't think I have mentioned that Fionwë has some magic; make his sword burst into flame, make some people drowsy, foresight(limited to the very near future) and a few other things, as well as an untainted minor ring of power, with certain qualities like health for one thing...Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Have I brought my bow into the Inn yet? It never misses, not even fairies. Bad! Smilie
Good luck Cloveress, you'll need it. Shaking Head Smilie
Quote:
If men are pigs, and women sows, where does that leave the pigs and sows?

Good question. What if the pigs and the sows are the real human beings (in their own dimension) and we are in fact really pigs and sows (we're still in their dimension). Yoinks! What a scary thought? Paranoid Smilie
I'm afraid you're confusing pigs with the mice. By the way, I would like it noted for the record that I was careful only to imply, not actually state, that women were sows (and only on the supposition that men are pigs, making the female of the same species female pigs.) Please direct all complaints to our illustrious Council Member, whom, had he asked, I would have been glad to counsel to leave the implication just that. And not to make single line, much less single WORD, posts. ;-p I should sic a brontosaurus on him. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
Quote:
I should sic a brontosaurus on him.

But don't you know that the real name is brachio... oh wait... ;-P
Can we nominate ourselves Ha Ha Ha Smilie - if so, I have 8 tattoos and am getting another next week - has anyone got more? Most tattooed goes to.....

It's up to you Cloveress - this thread is your idea Wiggle Smilie
Ive only got oneWiggle Smilie
Yep, I only have one too, and it's very hidden, and if my mom ever found out about it, she would KILL me. Even though, with low cut jeans being "in," I'm having more trouble hiding it. My husband and I got them together after knowing one another for only two weeks Smile Smilie.
Okaaay! And how did we come to be talking about tattoos? I thought this was the award thread, not the tattoo thread.
Yes, some CM should be warned so he or she could punish those responsible for this heinous crime.
Quote:
Have I brought my bow into the Inn yet? It never misses, not even fairies.
Good luck Cloveress, you'll need it.

I snort at that pathetic attempt to capture a trickster. Boring Smilie
Really, Fionwe, has it ever entered your mind that it is quite impossible to shoot a fairy and expect to come out of it unharmed? You'll just get fairy glitter all over yourself...an enchanting thought, is it not?

And as for the tattoo thing, well, yes of course you can nominate yourself. Just make sure they're in this thread. Oh and I have to point out that this thread was not my idea, as I wasn't the one who started it all, just one who revived it successfully.
I will be preparing a new batch of awards, but they may be issued early, since I am not sure how many days of access to the Internet I have. So if you want to nominate someone (or yourself), do so quickly!

Cloveress,
(Catastrophy-Loving Offspring of the Venerable Envisagement of the Ruler Enthroned by Splendid Scholarship)
Quote:
(Catastrophy-Loving Offspring of the Venerable Envisagement of the Ruler Enthroned by Splendid Scholarship)

Is that the new album of Godspeed You! Black Emperor?
Quote:
since I am not sure how many days of access to the Internet I have.

What do you mean, why do you have limited days?
it was was said by some great person
if you dont have anything helpful to say, dont say anything

but i just read that entire page
and im left with nothing but wanting to say something

well id just like to thank my mom for the award i won (didnt i get one ahile ago?)
without her, i would nver have been here
of course, i also have to thank my dad then
and whoever made champien......... :P
ummmm
Vir, I'm really sorry to tell you this, but for the first time, your guess was totally off. Still, I would very much prefer you to just address me as Cloveress. Simpler for all of us, eh?

Fionwe, I am still on vacation in Germany, if you haven't picked that up yet, and I will only have the computer for as long as I'm staying in Stuttgart. We are thinking of a road trip through Germany, so I will be leaving soon. And I'll not be going back to Stuttgart for quite a few years, so yeah, I don't know...

Oh, and Elrose, nice avatar...
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] >>