Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: just a thought....

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website Suggestions > just a thought....   
this might be a good idea, might not. I know you will probably never have time to do this but, maybe when you go to the message boards you could find all of your posts on any page. it sure seemed like a better idea before i wrote this...
That is a wonderful idea, and one thing I miss most (besides a search function) from Common Ground, Common Sense (which needs a little over 90 members at $7.95/yr with sponsorships available in Online Cafe to break even, hint, hint.) I frequently forget where I posted stuff, and it's nice to be able to get a page with ALL my posts in chronological order so I don't have to dig through every forum trying to find stuff (especially when stuff gets off topic; I got lucky when I posted the "Celebrimbor is Curufinwe" thing in the thread on Elves and Dwarves, but still didn't find it before two others, despite realizing almost immediately.) Something like that almost eliminates the need for a search function; you can click on the members name and get a list of all posts by them, then go straight to whichever one you need.

Again, this is not so much a criticism (by either of us, I think) as "I love the site but wish I had a better way to dig into all of it."
Quote:
Again, this is not so much a criticism (by either of us, I think) as "I love the site but wish I had a better way to dig into all of it."

yes, i should have posted that myself
Couldnt agree with you more Elrose,a great idea Smile Smilie
If i post a reply in a thread, i'd like to see any previous messages that have been posted, so that it's easy to quote someone and to comment to any previous remarks, instead of having to use the back button or a text editor.

Really elementary i think, my dear Watson.
I'd rather have a "Move Thread Button"; though the search function would probably come in second. Like I finally found my copy of The Map of Tolkien's Middle-earth with text by Brian Sibley and images by John Howe ISBN 0-06-105506-9. Someone made a query about it ever so long ago and I'm not sure if this is the version they were wondering about or not. Brian Sibley is the creator of the highly successful 13 hour BBC Radio dramatisation of LotR.
Quote:
i'd like to see any previous messages that have been posted

a suggestion to over come that... If you open a new window you can view the site and your message board post. It is easy in microsoft internet explorer... file/new/window.

Oh! A suggestion for the site... Could you possibly enable someone to delete their own thread if they just made it and no one has posted under it yet.
Quote:
Could you possibly enable someone to delete their own thread if they just made it and no one has posted under it yet.
I don't think that can be done for security reasons.

However, if you put a note in bold capitols (like shout) at the bottom of the first post saying something like, "I ask the Council to remove this my thread, so please don't post under it as you will lose your post when a Moderator deletes the thread." It will probably be removed when a Moderator first sees it.

If you want it removed faster, follow-up that up with an email to council@planet-tolkien.com requesting the removal of your thread, giving its URL (the http://www.... thingy near the top of your browser), and it should be gone in a few hours, if not sooner.

The email by itself won't get the job done, for we may not know it is actually you making the request.
Another thought...I just recently moved to rivendell. But when I did I miraculously had a race change. I received immortality. I was hoping to just be a hobbit in rivendell, but I became an elf. I really do think I prefer mortality in my hobbit size. So I guess I will have to save up, and move back to buckland or hobbiton.

If you could make it some how that you could stay a hobbit (or your original race) and move to a different location that would be awesome. I am just glad I didn't take a trip to Isengaurd. ooohhh! I'd be stuck as an orc for 20 days. Shocked Elf Smilie

Or if you could change...
Quote:
To change your location please select...

in the edit profile page; to...

Quote:
To change your location and race please select...

That might remove some questions in minds.
Just a Thought. Thank you.
I got another one...

Because people worry about the Post number so much. You could separate the post number into two catagories.

Tolkien Related Posts

and

NonTolkien Related Posts

It would encourage more Tolkien related posts, and it wouldn't really matter if the council members cut back on some of the NonTolkien posts.
What do you think? good idea huh?
I miss a possibility to subscribe to a thread (or haven't I found it?) It is simplier to look, if you got replies on your post.
I doubt if we will ever again be able to receive email notices of answers to our posts, nor even a list of them on of our individual home pages. We have so many other necessary non-bells and whistles that should be incorporated first. Sorry.