Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: need help w/ new site...

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website Help > need help w/ new site...   
when i came hear i tryed to login with my old password and user name and was not excepted so i got this new one...i want to know does everyone else have to get a new one too?

luv the new site by the way.
Hi Evithianehtmire,
Welcome to the new Planet-Tolkien. Yes, everyone has a new password. But if you go Your Account on the left, then click on Edit Profile you can change your password.
The Message Boards (formally Forums) are still a work in progress but coming along quite nicely.
There will be a lot more to come as Taz does more work on the site, so stay tuned. Big Smile Smilie
Hey everyone!
I just need help finding myself around this place! It's like I'm a chicken with it's head cut off!! Please! I need the vial of Galadriel!
Quote:
I need the vial of Galadriel!

That would be the Phial of Galadriel.

But i agree : the new planet-tolkien looks very nice idea. Nice work! congratulations. And best wishes for 2004, anyone.

(this year will be blessed, without PJ ruining another JRRT book.... kidding)
Quote:
when i came hear i tryed to login with my old password

Yes, everyones old account should still exist but you have been issued with a new password. Check your email as you have been sent a mail including your new login details.
I'm having some problems also. It keeps logging me out so about every 10 minutes I have to sign back in. Any ideas how I could fix that? Smile Smilie I love the new PT,Taz. You've done very well.

Fea
Quote:
I'm having some problems also. It keeps logging me out so about every 10 minutes

This is a known problem and I intend to fix it tomorrow first thing.
First of all - Excellent work! Its awesome and eye-catching!! U deserve a pat on ur back!!

Bt few qs. Wat happened to the journal dates? I don't remember writing any journal in 2012 Elf Confused Smilie And y has the readership count go to zero? And will we get any mithril pieces for the content in our old journals? I'll post more qs as I go thru this excellent site!
Ok more qs! Sorry If I'm bothering u! But the default dates have of last posts has been switched to 1/1/1970!! I feel so young!! Wink Smilie Also for all the threads that had been posted in the previous version of PT, the initial posts ie those posts which were the first post of the thread thru which the thread had been started seems to have been deleted. Can anything be done about that? coz now there's no explanation of wat the thread was about. And where r our no. of posts and the ranks? disappeared? And where is the link to PT Personal? I'm totally confused now!!! Elf Confused Smilie
I'm so sorry but two more qs. How can we change the no. of topics and the no. of posts that can be viewed on a page? And how can we search for thread topics on the board?
Oh, and one more thing, sorry about bugging you.

When we go to post, is there any way to see the previous posts so we can quote from them?

Thanks,

And thank you for correcting my Phial spelling! Cool Smilie
Quote:
But the default dates have of last posts has been switched to 1/1/1970!!

Yes, the old forum we used had a really bad way of storing dates, unfortunatly when bringing over all the old forum data, which was a hard enough task as it was, I couldn't get the dates over, sorry. However all new topics and posts do include the correct dates.

Quote:
Also for all the threads that had been posted in the previous version of PT, the initial posts ie those posts which were the first post of the thread thru which the thread had been started seems to have been deleted. Can anything be done about that?

Nope, again fault of the old forum structure. I did consider this long and hard but fortunatly there is generally enough replies to make sense of the topics and soon we will have made lots of new ones to cover up any confusing empty topics.

Quote:
And where r our no. of posts and the ranks?

This will come in time, lots new features and extras will appear as I get more time.

Quote:
is there any way to see the previous posts so we can quote from them?

on my To-Do List!
And I can't change my password.
Quote:
And I can't change my password.

Why?
Quote:
And thank you for correcting my Phial spelling!

It doesn't matter whether u say phial or vial. Vial is Americanism of phial I believe or is just a twisted form of phial.
Also it seems that a few of the threads have been deleted. Eg: the name the game thread in the Ivy Bush and a few more I knew were there but aren't there now. y has that happened?
Quote:
Also it seems that a few of the threads have been deleted. Eg: the name the game thread in the Ivy Bush and a few more I knew were there but aren't there now. y has that happened?

Trying to get all the old forum data over was very difficuilt indeed, it is quite likely there is some threads and posts missing, sorry but that's the way it is. I did manage to ge the majority of it over though.
I know how you all feel...everytime I go to different places here, I have to relogin and then instead of being able to post on the message board, or whatever.....I am taken back to my account page Sad Smilie
I hope that the bugs are worked out. How about on the message board, put a link there to post new threads...poems or whatever... :-)
Thanks for your help,
May The Stars Of Varda Light Your Path
Blessings,
Varda
Hi Taz. loooooove the new look! Especially the new logo!

I am having a few probs. too, though. I keep getting logged out as well and I cant change my password either. I have also noticed that if you upload an avatar, you can't change it, even if you delete the old one and upload the new one. It just keeps coming back with the old one. I also notice that the old "forum replys" email appears to contain an incorrect link.

Thanks. Keep up the brilliant work!
Hi everyone! Just wanted to say I loooove the new look! Great job! So much to explore now! Can't wait really.

There's a small problem with my old account though. I became a member with a now non-existing email address. So I was wondering if you could mail me my new password (for the old account)? Email: tommie_the_first@yahoo.co.uk

I would be sooo grateful! Thanks!!!
Quote:
There's a small problem with my old account though. I became a member with a now non-existing email address. So I was wondering if you could mail me my new password (for the old account)? Email: tommie_the_first@yahoo.co.uk

Email sent Tommie.
I was having a difficult time logging in this morning, thankfully that has since been rectified. Thank you, Taz, for putting so much hard work into this site. We really do appreciate it.
hmmz, sorry to bug you so much, but i guess you were expecting that the first days/weeks Very Mad Smilie
is there a chance that i can change how many post/topics that is shown on one page?? (think someone asked this somewhere but i can't remember where and i can't recall i saw an answer...)
Quote:
hmmz, sorry to bug you so much, but i guess you were expecting that the first days/weeks Very Mad Smilie
is there a chance that i can change how many post/topics that is shown on one page?? (think someone asked this somewhere but i can't remember where and i can't recall i saw an answer...)

At the moment there isn't however that is a good idea and I intend to make it a setting in your website preferences as soon as I get the time.
I want to change my location from Hobbiton to Osgiliath.
Quote:
I want to change my location from Hobbiton to Osgiliath.

You can't change locations at the moment. I am going to introduce a moving option in the next week or so however be warned, it is going to cost you Mithril Winking Smilie
Ok! the mithril stuff reminds me. U've said somewhere that we'll get 200 mithrils for the best journal of the week. When will this be started and how can we know who's the winner? (I've alwayz been greedy! Wink Smilie )
I've been trying to upload my Avatar on, and it is according to ur specifications ie 70x70, in .GIF format and is only 6 Kb. But still when I try to upload it it says that the pic must be in .GIF format. y is that?
Quote:
Ok! the mithril stuff reminds me. U've said somewhere that we'll get 200 mithrils for the best journal of the week. When will this be started and how can we know who's the winner? (I've alwayz been greedy!

The council haven't had a chance to meet yet since the launch of NPT to discuss the Post of the Week. It would also be appropriate to wait until more members have the opportunity to initialize their accounts. The Post of the Week will be posted on the message board as it was before.

Quote:
I've been trying to upload my Avatar on, and it is according to ur specifications ie 70x70, in .GIF format and is only 6 Kb. But still when I try to upload it it says that the pic must be in .GIF format. y is that?

Your avatar must be 70 x 70 pixels (not inches) in gif format. You should have no problem once you make that adjustment.

Sorry, Lord_aragorn86, I accidently deleted your last post whilst attempting to delete my own, but fortunately I had copied it so I could answer your question:

Quote:
And guess wat? My signature also isn't shown on any of my posts!

Elfstone had asked the same question here somewhere. Taz has not activated the signatures yet.

Taz is working daily on NPT , which is a daunting task for one person and he has a day job too. In the meantime, enjoy all the new features as they continue to come available.
I have a problem because the passwords were changed and your new one would be sent in an e-mail, how ever my old e-mail address isīnt working so I would very much like you to tell me what to do
Quote:
I have a problem because the passwords were changed and your new one would be sent in an e-mail, how ever my old e-mail address isīnt working so I would very much like you to tell me what to do

Please send me an email to taz@planet-tolkien.com from your new email-address.
Quote:
Your avatar must be 70 x 70 pixels (not inches) in gif format. You should have no problem once you make that adjustment.

I had made sure it was 70x70 pixels and checked it now now and it is pixels only not inches. But still it has problems uploading!
And can we also have that little feature which allowed us to know if a thread had new messages since last active? That was a very useful feature.
Quote:
And can we also have that little feature which allowed us to know if a thread had new messages since last active? That was a very useful feature.

It's on my To-Do list.

Quote:
I had made sure it was 70x70 pixels and checked it now now and it is pixels only not inches. But still it has problems uploading!

Well this feature works, obviously, as lots of other people are uploading them fine. Send it to me and I will upload it.
Quote:

I had problems too at first. The program I had used to convert my avatar had converted it into a .GIF file (upper case). The upload program here is searching for a .gif (lower case). Check in your browser to ensure your file is lower case. All I did was delete the GIF and replaced it with a gif. It worked fine once I'd done that. Good luck.
I think Val's explenation should do the trick, i also had that problem when I first tried.
Also if you want to change your avatar and everything looks good but your old pic is still showing on the "edit profile" page, DON'T do anything! it's already changed but wont update until you log out and in again. (i think, that was what happened to me at least Wink Smilie )
Quote:
The program I had used to convert my avatar had converted it into a .GIF file (upper case). The upload program here is searching for a .gif (lower case). Check in your browser to ensure your file is lower case. All I did was delete the GIF and replaced it with a gif. It worked fine once I'd done that. Good luck.

Thank u Val! that worked. Now I have uploaded my avatar. Lots of thanx. Smile Smilie
A few things, I seem lost if I donīt have the Todays Messages thing. I need that to survive. I know itīs on your To-Do list, but see if it can be mooved up a few ranks. I probably speak for everyone when I say it will help to get conversations going, when you know where they are going on.

Thanks Tarrant
I want 'todays messages' too, I am also really curious about the new upcomming stuff which we can spend our mithril on. I want all the threads back with nothing missing from them, and I want to stay logged inn for more than 3-5 clicks around this site. But let's give the guy a break!! He is working on it! What more can we want? He is 20 years old and he is doing it all by himself. He also needs to eat, drink, sleap, make a living, and see friends and family. (And I don't think he gets to do much of that) He is spending money so we can come here for free! I want this site to be done with all its features NOW, but good things come to those who wait. So far this place has been worth waiting for, hasn't it?

I am also starting to get happy when I see fellow Rivendell elves in the forum. Hi Ani! Neighbours and friends, you know? Wink Smilie And the weather system is really cool.
Quote:
It's on my To-Do list.

Everyone here keeps talking about this "to-do list"! Wat is it and where is it? Plz enlighten me!
Quote:
Everyone here keeps talking about this "to-do list"! Wat is it and where is it? Plz enlighten me!

It's Taz' personal list of things he has to do. Where he keeps it I don't know (and I don't need to either Big Smile Smilie ) And by now I would assume that list is getting really loooooong, so I have to agree with Amarie - give the poor bloke a break, I know he's working on it!!!! There is a thread called "Taz to do list" somewhere under website help (or thereabout, just look for it Serching Smilie ) and we can all post there what we think he should do to improve and he will look into it when he has the time and if he think it's worth doing.
Amarië is right. If you read through the posts at the top of the Message Board and use the Help function from the Menu on the left under Your Account. You will see all these questions have been asked and answered before and our wonderful Frazzled Fraggle is working on these things as fast as he can. Angel Smilie

Re the log in problem: I have been making a copy of everything before I post it until I know it took, and if I don't use my mouse back/forward buttons or Internet Explorer's back/forward buttons and just use the websites buttons I can often make two posts in a row before I find I've been logged out again. I often find having two windows open to Planet-Tolkien, using one for reference and one for writing causes me to get logged out when I jump between windows. Elf Rolling Eyes Smilie

Hopefully this will all get fixed someday, as it is a pain in the neck for everyone, but harping on it won't get it fixed any sooner and may cause discouragement on the part of he who is trying to do the fixing.

Here endeth the lesson. Read Smilie
I've recently started using Opera as my main browser, and I have no problems staying logged in.
Hey, I have a few concerns. First of all, I still get logged off all the time, and donīt know whether it is just me or if the bug is still unfixed.

Also, I am wondering if the thread lists in the message boards could be longer, like they used to be. It used to be that they went down the whole page, but now, after a handful of them, you have to click next.

Finally, I wonder if we could have an option to take off the Mithril Message Alerts, and just have our bank be automatically increments or decremented. This way, when I get a message, I know it is important, and not something I will automatically delete.

Thank you.
Quote:
Hey, I have a few concerns. First of all, I still get logged off all the time, and donīt know whether it is just me or if the bug is still unfixed.
The bug remains unfixed.
Quote:
Also, I am wondering if the thread lists in the message boards could be longer, like they used to be. It used to be that they went down the whole page, but now, after a handful of them, you have to click next.
The answer to this can be found by clicking here.
Quote:
Finally, I wonder if we could have an option to take off the Mithril Message Alerts, and just have our bank be automatically increments or decremented. This way, when I get a message, I know it is important, and not something I will automatically delete.
I know what you mean; however, this message is sent at midnight GMT and if you consider the time of day when you see a new message pop up, you will know it's the Mithril Message and can ignore it, especially if you read all your new messages as soon as you logged in (the first time). Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Hi all! Just to say I love the new pt. Great look! Still need some time to explore all the new things, but at the moment I'm still trying to orientate myself. Bit lost... lol

One question: is it still possible for us to see the name of the person who posted last in a thread? Makes it easier to know if you have already seen that post, and helps me to tell me if there has been a new post.

And I keep getting logged out. Sorry. Animated Wink Smilie
btw, on the "edit profile" page there is an option to have a signature written, but nothing shows in the posts being made.... is this something that is gone or are you working on that one too Taz??
Quote:
Elfstone had asked the same question here somewhere. Taz has not activated the signatures yet.

Taz is working daily on NPT , which is a daunting task for one person and he has a day job too. In the meantime, enjoy all the new features as they continue to come available.