Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: how do I get an avatar

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website Help > how do I get an avatar   
I just recently returned to pt to find it changed and my account unaccesable therefore i need a new avatar, my question is how do i get it ? I'd also like to know if I would be able to access my old account?
HELP ME! Everyone seems to have a picture except me! I reduced my picture to below 8kb , but it still wonīt upload. And whatīs up with the pixel thing, I donīt understand. Someone please tell me how you upload an avatar.
(What does avatar mean anywhay)
If you go to "your account" and pushes "help", the absolute first helpfile there is called "how do i upload a custom avatar"... it's all explained there. Wink Smilie
If you don't have the software to alter your avatar to a 70x70 pixel gif file then you can e-mail it to me at rednell@planet-tolkien.com and I will make the adjustments for you.

But first come into the chatroom and introduce yourself. Wink Smilie

(Rednell imagines getting 3000 requests for altered avatars.) Super Scared Smilie
Quote:
(Rednell imagines getting 3000 requests for altered avatars.) Super Scared Smilie

I have already made a handfull of avatars and also helped fix avatars, so I can help out too. Elf Winking Smilie

amarie@shiremail.com
Quote:
What does avatar mean anyway?
An avatar is a spirit's incarnation, an embodiment, a bodily manefestation. In other words, something that represents you; your visible personna on Planet-Tolkien. Teacher Smilie
One of the problems you may encounter too, is if your software converts your image into a GIF (upper case) rather than a gif (lower case file). Mine did the former and wouldn't upload. By erasing the GIF and typing in gif, however, I found it worked fine.
Quote:
One of the problems you may encounter too, is if your software converts your image into a GIF (upper case) rather than a gif (lower case file). Mine did the former and wouldn't upload. By erasing the GIF and typing in gif, however, I found it worked fine.

That is fixed now.
This pops up whenever I try to upload a new avatar:

Warning: main(includes/upload_photo.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/www.planet-tolkien.com/modules/edit_profile/index.php on line 5

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/upload_photo.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/www.planet-tolkien.com/modules/edit_profile/index.php on line 5

I thought that since you, Taz, told me to notify you whenever an error message pops up I should send this to you.
My sincerest gratitudes for helping me when Iīm in need!
I get the same error message So Angry Smilie
Quote:
An avatar is a spirit's incarnation, an embodiment, a bodily manefestation. In other words, something that represents you; your visible personna on Planet-Tolkien

For my avatar I have 2 dragons which represent my zodiac signs. I am a Gemini (Sign of the Twins) and I was born in the Year of the Dragon. I found this picture on the cover of a book, scanned it, resized to 70 x70 pixel .gif and voila!

BTW: Taz has fixed the problem with uploading the avatars so you should be able to do it now.
Yes, the edit profile bug concerning uploading an avatar is now fixed.
just had to check if I had one...been trying for a while now, but nope..nothing so far..

Quote:
just had to check if I had one...been trying for a while now, but nope..nothing so far.

Megilwen,
Do you mean that you have tried to upload an avatar or that you thought one would be assigned to you? If you are having problems sizing your avatar just send the picture to me and I will size it for you.
rednell@planet-tolkien.com
When you upload your avatar there will be a message that says the picture has been uploaded. You then have to log out and log back in again to see it.
I hope this is of some help to you.
You shouldn't even have to log out, if it uploaded succcessfully it should apear next to the "Uploaded OK", unless you're using Internet Explorer and then it probably won't as it will have chached the page and done god knows what else Orc Grinning Smilie
I'd have an avatar by now if I could find a feather-plucking picture. Other than that, I've got no buisiness here.
Quote:
Yes, the edit profile bug concerning uploading an avatar is now fixed.

It seems to have appeared again... at least I got that error notice too when I tried uploading a custom avatar that is smaller than 8 KB and 70x70 Pixels and a gif-file...

Btw, I can't see my signature either
The signature feature hasn't been activated yet, and we're still not sure whether or not it will be.
Can you find pictures online and if so where, because I don't have a scanner?!!
Sure you can. Lots of ways to do it; easiest perhaps is to Gooooogle it!

Go to www.Google.com, press the "Picture" or "Images" tab, write something interesting in the search field and click "Search".

Depending on what you searched for, you now will see:
1: No pics
2: Some pics
3: An awful lot of pics.

Choose one! Smile Smilie (remember to make the pic the right size and format before trying to use it as an avatar)
I don't know how to make it the right size so if I chose to send it to either Rednell or Amarie how do I send it?
Send it as an attachment to Rednell@planet-tolkien.com
How do you send an attachment?? Do you just drag the pic over to your type box in your email thing??? Question Smilie I'm so sorry I keep bothering you with these questions?? I'm probably boring you!!! Boring Smilie
Oh nevermind!!! I figured it out!!!! Big Smile Smilie
<---------------------------------------------------- Look at this bad-boy huh huh huh!!!

Just showing off me avatar, its taken me 6 weeks to be bothered, so forgive my over-enthusiasm.

Smoke Smilie
Is he about to barf?
AmariŽ, thank u soo much for helpign me get my avartar. so any1 who wants 1 should ask AmariŽ or Rednell!!!!!!
Lol, i cut Lord Aelrics avatar from a pic he sendt me, now I see it is exactly like one of the avatars we could choose on oldPT! *lol* Big Laugh Smilie Oh how the subconscious mind plays tricks on us! Ha Ha Ha Smilie
Quote:
Is he about to barf?

That dude on Ric's avatar is supposed to be the Mouth of Sauron. So barfing is very much possible. If i'm not mistaken, i think he almost had to barf when seeing Aragorn's face ( or should i say Barfagorn's face).
Vee is talking about the picture of Isildur that Aelric had as an avatar at the time. But I didnt't think he looked like he was about to barf though. Wink Smilie