Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: I really need your HELP!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website General Discussion > I really need your HELP!   
kingofzion,
Welcome to PT. I do hope you enjoy your visits to our site.
I am not sure on what you require, exactly.
There are some great reference books that discuss Tolkien's works. Tom Shippey's JRR Tolkien: Author of the Century is a very good reference. For a biography, I prefer the one written by Humphrey Carpenter and The Letters of JRR Tolkien is invaluable. If you are interested in Tolkien's artwork, JRR Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull is an absolutely fabulous insight into Tolkien's world as he imagined it.
We have a biography on this site that was compiled by the Writer's Guild and these are some of the resources which we used.
You may also wish to check out the Tolkien Online Courses on this site. I use Tolkien's letters as a reference for most of the topics discussed.
For discussions and interpretation of The Silmarillion, take a look at the Silmarillion Reading Discussion Group.
I hope this is of some help.
Thank you very much. But maybe you have no idea of the difficulty of finding the books of comments you listed.
So I have to hunt for them everywhere. I'll have a look around here.
kingofzion
I can see your problem. I am assuming that the Internet is your only real option for research. There is a site called
http://www.suite101.com
Do a search for Tolkien and you will find serveral essays which may be of help to you. Michael Martinez writes very good commentaries on Tolkien and his works.
I hope this is also useful information for you.

[Edited on 3/19/2003 by MelliotSandybanks]
Nell, i just edited you post to make the link work for anyone that is as lazy as i am. Now all we have to do is just click it.

Welcome to PT kingofzion. I hope you enjoy it here, and learn a lot about Tolkien. Do well on your essay, hope to see more of your posts.
My sincere thanks to you. That really does help.
You are very welcome, Kingofzion. Don't forget to let us know how your essay goes.
wish i could help, but i just know what i've read from the books...like to read your essay though!