Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: p-ming, posting and chatting

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website General Discussion > p-ming, posting and chatting   
Hmm... Quite a hard decision, as I seem to be in both the forums and chat all the time. I enjoy chatting the most, because I can speak to so many great people in person. However, If this site were to be taken down (heaven forbid), and only one thing to remain, I would definitely keep the forums over chat.
I agree with you Peredhil
For me, it's got to be the forum. What you post is there for everyone to see. Because there are no time constraints you can research and take time over your posts, hopefully creating something that others can enjoy in their own time, and hopefully benefit or learn from. Because of its nature, far more complex subject material can be discussed than in chat, and because it remains on view, it is seen by a far wider audience.

I tend to use chat to every now and again say "Hi," to the people I have met here, whereas I use the foum for Tolkien subjects.

PM'ing on the other hand is something I use more as a tool, to try to get a quick response from another member, or if I have to ask someone to shorten their signature or stop swearing etc.
I agree with Val. Though I am in chat a lot, I think that in the forums you can really gain and give more insight. I don't use PM's much (partly because they aren't working for me right now), mainly just to compliment people on their journal entries. Big Laugh Smilie
my thoughts exactly!!!! took the words right from my keyboard! Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie
Hard decision. But since I use the forums the most, I think I would like to keep those. It's very easy to get in touch with a lot of people though here, and you can indeed take your time to post something (though I don't always do Tongue Smilie ).
The forums kick ***. Its just a big idea tank..where people get together and have a good laugh. Chatting good as well ...if I get on at some point Wink Smilie

Moderator Smilie Language!

[Edited on 12/4/2003 by Grondmaster]
Hello Darous!Long time no see.I hope you will be able to fix this problem with the chat.Now straight...
WHAT ARE YOU DOING MAN
Quote:
The forums kick *ss.
didn't you read Taz's rules?!?!?
As for the post...I find the chat better.Frankly the forum feels very dead(not in real time).I know I am wrong but that is my opinion.

[Edited on 12/4/2003 by Elda]
Lets see..

Posting gives people the impression that I am insane.
Chatting adds fuel to that fire.
IMing removes all doubts.

Orc Grinning Smilie
lol, you are not completely insane Gimli, but if you were not just a tad bit off, we would not get along so well. I am quite out there as well. lol
The CHAT most definetly!! Big Smile Smilie
I LOVE posting, but the chat... aaaah. Big Smile Smilie What can I say?? I LOVE IT!
I prefer the Forum's they're much more fun and everyone can join in the coversation, rather than having to be there at the time!

Ps. please will someone remind me to put my Avatar on a disk and send it to Taz. Pedro the Ggypsy want's to wave at everyone! Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
Ps. please will someone remind me to put my Avatar on a disk and send it to Taz. Pedro the Ggypsy want's to wave at everyone!

Ross i am reminding you.
Ta!
I really like the forums...they're wonderful for discussions. In the chat, when there's a lot of people, it's easy for people to sort of talk over one another and ideas sometimes get lost. In the forums, everyone can take time to really make their points clear, and discussions can happen over the course of a few days or weeks.

The chat's a lot of fun, too, and better suited to getting to know people than the forums. Also, if you haven't got enough time to really read posts and things, the chat's great.

So, yeah, I don't really know which one I like better Tongue Smilie
I'd have 2 say I like posting best; you can always change what you say. Chatting...the room can be empty sometimes, and that sucks. P-ming...I've only got p-m's from 3 ppl so far; don't know how much I like it yet, though it's private and not displayed for the public.
Arcormacolindóva: PM are normally just used when there is something to say that you want to keep private, but not important enough for an email and that a day's delay or two wouldn't matter. They are also good if two people are both concurantly online as they can have a fast turn around almost as good as a private chat.

Posts are more fun because one can get more peoples' ideas than they can with a PM. Chat is fun when there are about six people, but one can't think about what to reply for very long or the conversation will pass them by and once said it is impossible to retract and harder to explain what was really meant.

If you want to receive more PMs you will just have to initiate a few in order to receive replies. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Hmmm... The forum was why I first came on this site....But then talking to people in chat was probably why I stayed when the forums were quiet. (Though it's very quiet in chat right now...) And PM is good, got quite a few long conversations with some people, it's a good way to discuss things you have in common with someone but don't want on the site for the rest of the world to see Smile Smilie
Chatting is great because you learn more about the person there,I have met wonderful people in chat.

Then theres the forums!I say that the forums is a great way to express your perspective on things,and gives me time to collect my thoughts before telling the world.

P-ming is nice for when you wanna compliment someone's journal entry and all.
Big Smile Smilie Thats about all I can say Wink Smilie I just love p-ming,chat and forums all the same.
-LadyF-

[Edited on 27/8/2003 by LadyFeawen]
I am leaning more towards the forum because I am so long winded that whatever I have to say takes a really long time. Sometimes when I am in the chat room, the subject changes 3 times before I get to respond. I still like it, even though it is fast paced. The forum is just more my style, except that you have to wait for the interaction.

So, to sum it up: I talk a lot, so the forums are good for my typing little fingers, but I like the immediate response in the chat.
Well, chatting is a great way to meet people and make new friens; PM-ing helps u consolidate some of those relations. Still, my fave stays posting: whether it's in my own journal or in the forums, I just like expressing what I'm thinking without having a time-limit, if u know what I mean!

Anyway, the real important thing is meeting new and interesting people, so all of them are great!!!

Namarie!