Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The NEW Planet-Tolkien.com

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website General Discussion > The NEW Planet-Tolkien.com   [1] [2] >>
All wine tastes like vinegar to me, however the best whiskey's take longer to age and improve all the time. Hmmmm whiii-ssss-keyyy.
Quote:
I just think it would be far more convenient if those icons were present, and available for use in the preview post feature as well.
That is true, but it doesn't take much work to memorize the code characters that those buttons make b, i, u, quote, and url are the most frequentlty used to start the change and the same letters preceded by a / to terminate them. And of course each set of the code is enclosedin square brackets.

Still having both them and the smilies would be convenient in preview mode, except you have all the smilies avalable if you have opened their window by clicking on 'More smilies...' prior to going to preview mode.
Some great ideas / pointers there Tom, thank-you.
It sounds like a giant task to me indeed, but it all sounds pretty amazing now... Tongue Smilie

As for adding anything, I don't know if it's possible, but about those communities. Perhaps there could be some foreign languages community (I keep going on about this, isn't it? lol Tongue Smilie ) where you can start e.g. a Dutch community, with a moderator who speaks the language, and where Dutch native speakers can post questions, chat or talk about Tolkien-related things. I don't know if it's possible, or managable, or even necessary, but it's an idea that popped up.

Oh, and a few intelligent games might be nice, you know, trivia ones, or word puzzles... Maybe there could be a weekle word puzzle, designed by someone (not necessarily a council member of course, you got enough work as it is) and the members (or maybe even visitors too) can solve the puzzle and there could be a hall of fame (perhaps based on the speed of filling the puzzle in), or just for fun. A word puzzle is really nice. Juggling Smilie

Just saying what I have on my mind right now, I don't know about who else thinks this is a good or a bad or a whatever idea... Cool Smilie
Okay a 'Games' section has been added to my list of things to do.
Quote:
Oh, and a few intelligent games might be nice, you know, trivia ones, or word puzzles...

By word puzzle, I assume you mean crossword puzzle since there are various Tolkien related word games in the Ivy Bush.
We also have Grondy's trivia game under General Discussion. That being said, I think it would be great to have link to a trivia question of the day on the home page. Smoke Smilie
Quote:
If you can try and sort out the problems with caht if you can.
Sorry I'm lost here, problems with what?
If you can try and sort out the problems with caht if you can.
Why fix what's not broken?
Well PT chat aint workin for me and if you do do a new website it might be nice if you could solve that wee problem as well.
Chat does work, at least for the majority of our users so it's not really a problem with the site or the applet we use.

The chat applet uses java so you must have a browser that supports and includes the java runtime environment. There are many threads on this scattered around the website.

Quote:
Why fix what's not broken?
The new PT is now so much about fixing anything, it's hard to explain why, but you will soon see. The new Planet-Tolkien completely moves away from what we currently provide and immerses the member into middle-earth with full interaction, and role play as part of the standard visit plus more.
It is done for a reason Aire. It fits the screen perfectly in a resolution of 800x600. If you have a higher resolution, you will have borders.
Indeed, I am unfortunatly for you lot not much of an avid fan of 100% width websites, therefor PT isn't going to be one Tongue Smilie So I just design it to fit an 800x600 res screen.
Which is absolutely great because I don't like 100% resolution too much either. The forum gets really hard to read. Tongue Smilie

Quote:
By word puzzle, I assume you mean crossword puzzle since there are various Tolkien related word games in the Ivy Bush.
We also have Grondy's trivia game under General Discussion. That being said, I think it would be great to have link to a trivia question of the day on the home page.

I Yes I did mean a crossword puzzle, and if no one else volunteers to make it, I think I can make some. I mean, one per week or even one every two weeks would be maneagable to me. I think... lol And the trivia question of the day is a great idea too!

Quote:
The new PT is now so much about fixing anything, it's hard to explain why, but you will soon see. The new Planet-Tolkien completely moves away from what we currently provide and immerses the member into middle-earth with full interaction, and role play as part of the standard visit plus more.

Super Wow Smilie Sounds awesome indeed! My god I hope I won't get lost on that site! lol Smile Smilie

Ermmm Taz, we can keep the forums, right? Animated Wink Smilie Tongue Smilie Animated Wink Smilie Big Laugh Smilie

About the games section: one or two pt versions ago I seem to recall trivia games (Treebeard and Gollum) present here. Would be nice to get one of those back, or even new ones. Smile Smilie Though I do think they should all be Tolkien-related, don't you? We are planet-Tolkien after all. I don't know how many Tolkien related games exist really, but I'm sure there'll be enough to fill a game section reasonably. And the current quiz section might fit under that one too... Smile Smilie

Oh and the PT guide in the my account section is a really good one, maybe it would be helpful for new members if they could get to that one straight from the homepage. I think that would save a lot of questions of the sort: "how do I post/chat/whatever?"

[Edited on 30/5/2003 by TomBombadillo]
How about letting members upload their own avatars?
How about an adult members secton say sort of 16+, where we can sort of discuss more opinionated topics?
Quote:
How about an adult members secton say sort of 16+, where we can sort of discuss more opinionated topics?
Being over 16 doesn't necessarily stop people from being hurt though, Ross. And where do you draw the line? At least by having a total ban on certain subjects, everyone knows where that line lies and it keeps it easy to moderate.

It's not like we're preventing freedom of speech or anything. We're just asking people to respect our wishes while they are here. The net is awash with adult sites where members could meet if they so wished. It is nice to have a small haven where you know you are in a friendly atmosphere, and are hopefully not going to open a post that is going to upset you.
Very well put Val, exactly.
Quote:
how about a new twist on the PotW???

Say the council picks out 3-4 posts from the last week and the members can have a day or two to vote for the one they think is best?? (not that i think you guys doesn't do a good enough job now, but one person picking it IS kinda subjective..) Cool Smilie
I'll take this before the Council, Perwing.
Quote:

How about you go somewhere else and discuss them, or email people from PT who you know would be interested, set up your own mailing list that we WILL NOT advertise for you here and have a nice time doing that. Or there's always Squirrelworld Forums (very much NOT endorsed by PT, or reccomended, okay?) PT is not the only place on the web you know.
Fair enough!
Quote:
I mean for all you know I could be a 54-years old woman, and if i so wished you should belive that there would be nothing stopping me...
Have you been spying on me? Tongue Smilie
Cool avatar Ross.
If you have a 'Games' section could you have it set so that PT members could play games with each other, i.e Chess?
Quote:
I`d like to see the jounal posts set up better. As it is now, we can only see a few of them and as soon as someone else posts a new journal entry, the last one gets bumped off. I`ve tried looking for a way to see some of the older ones but I can`t find a way. Is there a way to see the other older journal posts? I enjoy reading what other PT members have to say in their journals but we only get to see very few of them and only for a short time because the oldest post (which could be only old by some hours) keeps getting bumped off
Here is how to read all the journal entries:

1) Click on My Account in menu at top left.

2) Click on Your Journal near middle of page

3) Click on More Journals

4) Scroll up member's name

5) Click on View Journal

6) Click on the entry you want to read

7) Read it, Click on Back, at bottom of page

8) Repeat steps 6 and 7 until done with member's entries

9) Click on Back,Scroll up another member

10) Repeat steps 5 through 10

After you get the hang of it you will want to be a tad bit more selective so as to leave time for eating, sleeping, studying, working, and playing, not to mention posting on the forum and taking care of personal hygiene. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

[Edited on 14/6/2003 by Grondmaster]
I like the post of the week vote idea. Sounds great! And I totally agree on the +16 section thing. Now that we are family friendly I would really like to keep it that way. lol Big Laugh Smilie

And on the avatar thingie: maybe it would be a good idea if members who reach 50 posts could get an extra option or something, so they can actually make their own avatar. Would take some work off Taz' hands.

And I was thinking about a "question of the week" thing. You know, a random question about Tolkien posted on the homepage, with a link to where you can comment on it. Like "Do you think the Lord of the Rings is a story fit for children under the age of 12?". Just an idea, don't know if it'll work.
We used to have a quote of the day, but I think it was lost at our last reincarnation.

With regards to uploading your own avatars, while it would certainly be convenient, and take some work of Taz's hands, it would also leave the way clear for unsuitable pictures being uploaded, so it might not be such a hot idea guys, don't be surprised if it doesn't hapen.
Quote:
how about a new twist on the PotW???
Although we have decided to keep the format of the current Post of the Week unchanged, we are ironing out a system of running an additional one in which all members can vote for their choice. We'll keep you posted as things develop. Smile Smilie
Could we have a post of the week, every week?
Ha ha, you'll be lucky, we're very busy guys, and very bad at looking at calendars to see when a week has evaporated.
Quote:
With regards to uploading your own avatars, while it would certainly be convenient, and take some work of Taz's hands, it would also leave the way clear for unsuitable pictures being uploaded, so it might not be such a hot idea guys, don't be surprised if it doesn't hapen.

Yeah, you're probably right there. Point taken, didn't think of that... Cool Smilie

Quote:
Although we have decided to keep the format of the current Post of the Week unchanged, we are ironing out a system of running an additional one in which all members can vote for their choice. We'll keep you posted as things develop.

Nice one Val, thanks a lot! Would be great! Big Smile Smilie

I also like the "quote of the day" thing. You know, as long as it's random. Would hate to have someone having to change it every day. lol Noooo, definitely random. Tongue Smilie
You will be able to upload your own avatars however they will go into a sort of waiting list until an admin can approve them.
Now *that* is a fantastic solution, thanks Taz! Orc Grinning Smilie

Had a little problem getting to pt yesterday. It said: "website not found" or something like that. Scared the beejeebers into me. Super Scared Smilie And I still think pt's very slow in loading. Other websites I load don't have that, so it's not my pc. Any ideas on this, Taz? Question Smilie
Quote:
Although we have decided to keep the format of the current Post of the Week unchanged, we are ironing out a system of running an additional one in which all members can vote for their choice. We'll keep you posted as things develop.
Okay, as promised, here's an update on this one.

Proposed Member's Choice Post of the Month

We have banged our heads together and decided upon a method in which all of our members can propose and vote upon their choice of post for a monthly Post of the Month accolade, similar to the Council run Post of the Week. Due to the complexities involved in nominating posts, voting for them, and then counting the results, it will not be possible to run this on a weekly basis, hence the monthly format was decided upon.

The way this competition will run is as follows.

1) Members shall PM their nomination to one of a number of organisers selected by the Council. The reason we have gone down this line is to prevent the almost certain chaos that would ensue if every member were able to post their nomination directly.

The nominations would be chosen throughout the month, with a closing deadline on the last day of a given month. The organisers would number and post the nominations as they occured giving everyone time to browse them and decide upon their favourite.

2) Once the deadline was up, members would then have one week to vote on their choice, with only one vote from each member being allowed. Voting for your favourite post would be done by PM'ing your choice to Valedhelgwath, giving the post's number. After one week he would then tally up the votes and the winner be announced.

We have gone down the route of having a number of assistants help us in this one, because it is the only way we can see the system not falling down in chaos. If everyone were able to nominate their choice directly into the topped thread, it would soon become very unpostThreadIDy. Duplicate nominations would occur, and these would be further confused with other members adding their "I agree/disagree" posts after them.

As the assistants tasks will be to gather and compile the nomination lists, and will have no influence over the voting or counting of votes, we see no reason why they should be excluded from having their own posts nominated. The same goes for the Council too, with the exception of myself. As all votes will be counted by me alone, for obvious reasons, I must exempt myself from having my posts nominated.

Well, that's the state of play so far. Unfortunately, as our assistants will need limited moderating powers to one thread, this system will not be able to begin until the new PT is available as this one cannot support that function.
Thanks Val, that sounds like a great idea. Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie
Fantastic idea there, many cheers to the council! Thumbs Up Smilie

So as I get it, everyone could pick their favourite post in the first three weeks of the month, and pm them to the assistants. Then the assistants would get in touch with each other (I guess), count their nominations on each post, and put up the 10 (or so) most nominated posts. Then in the last week everyone could vote for their favourite. Am I right here? If I'm not I'm totally confused lol Big Laugh Smilie Disturbed Smilie
Almost right Tommie. The nominations would be open for one full calender month however, not just three weeks.

Nominations can be PM'd to one of the assistants anytime during the month, who will compile a list to be voted upon.

To prevent duplicate nominations being sent unnecessarily, this list will be posted in the forum regularly so members can see what has been chosen and if they wish to add to it.

On the last day of the month, this list/post will be brought up to date and members will be able to post their vote to me by PM (one vote per member). The winner for the previous month will then be posted, hopefully on the Homepage for all to see.

New nominations will begin from the first of the month, irrespective of the voting period for the previous month's post.

Hopefully this system will work. If we finish up receiving more nominations than there are voters, however, we might have to iron out a few changes. We'd like to keep it has open as is possible at this point, however.
The new Planet-Tolkien now includes a spell checker built into the forum, messaging system, journals and more.
Quote:
The new Planet-Tolkien now includes a spell checker built into the forum, messaging system, journals and more.

Sounds great Taz! I am really looking forward to seeing it when it is finished!
Taz, the idea of a spell check is wonderful. I am the worlds worst speller. When I leave long post, I tend to type them in word and then just copy and paste, this will be much easier.

I do have a suggestion, for the spell check though. Would it be possible to have the members names automatically added to the spell checker when they sign up with PT? That way their names won's have squiggly lines under it while we are typing?
Good idea Mellie. Also, BB Code has never worked in PMs, even though when you reply to a PM,
Quote:
boxes come up, which I always delete.
Quote:
Almost right Tommie. The nominations would be open for one full calender month however, not just three weeks.

Nominations can be PM'd to one of the assistants anytime during the month, who will compile a list to be voted upon.

To prevent duplicate nominations being sent unnecessarily, this list will be posted in the forum regularly so members can see what has been chosen and if they wish to add to it.

On the last day of the month, this list/post will be brought up to date and members will be able to post their vote to me by PM (one vote per member). The winner for the previous month will then be posted, hopefully on the Homepage for all to see.

New nominations will begin from the first of the month, irrespective of the voting period for the previous month's post.

Ok, so the nominations go to the assistants, who make a list of all nominations and post it on the forum. Then on the last day of the month the final list is brought up, and everyone can vote (by pm to Val) during only one day (?) for their favourites.

I get it now, thanks Val! Smile Smilie Though only one voting day, if again I'm correct, is a bit short, isn't it? Cool Smilie

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the new PT, and I'm glad to be of help. Big Smile Smilie
Quote:
I get it now, thanks Val! Though only one voting day, if again I'm correct, is a bit short, isn't it?
Quote:
2) Once the deadline was up, members would then have one week to vote on their choice, with only one vote from each member being allowed. Voting for your favourite post would be done by PM'ing your choice to Valedhelgwath, giving the post's number. After one week he would then tally up the votes and the winner be announced.
They would have a week, Tommie. The winner would be posted seven days into the following month. Nominations for that coming month would also be open during this seven day period.
Quote:
You will be able to upload your own avatars however they will go into a sort of waiting list until an admin can approve them. The new Planet-Tolkien now includes a spell checker built into the forum, messaging system, journals and more.

Great ideas Taz, glad to hear it! Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie

One thing I would like to see changed if possible is the options over your original text in the preview post feature. Iím probably not doing a good job of explaining it, but for example, when you initially type your post, you have the bold, italic, quote icon options, etc., but when you go to preview post, if you find something in your post you forgot to quote, or put in italics, you canít do it from there, and you have to click back to be able to utilize those options. I just think it would be far more convenient if those icons were present, and available for use in the preview post feature as well.

Also, Iíve been wondering whatís going to happen to the existing forums, and threads we have now? Are we going to be able to carry those over, or will the whole new PT be starting from scratch?
Elf Smilie

Quote:
They would have a week, Tommie. The winner would be posted seven days into the following month. Nominations for that coming month would also be open during this seven day period.

Hrmm. Disturbed Smilie Sorry Val! I think I get it now. Sooo sorry I read that post way too fast I think. Must have missed the one week thing. Sorry again! Smile Smilie

Quote:
Also, Iíve been wondering whatís going to happen to the existing forums, and threads we have now? Are we going to be able to carry those over, or will the whole new PT be starting from scratch?

I think, and I also hope, we can take what we have on the forums and other galleries with us. I'm sure Taz will try his best to secure everything, unless the idea is we start from scratch, but I don't think that's the main point of the new PT. But to be sure, maybe a council member could bring help here? Question Smilie
I would guess that the new forum would still be an XForum, so it should be easy to keep all our old posts.

Yes, I'm back, but only for about half an hour, then I'm going away for another week. Sad Smilie
Super Wow Smilie Then you certainly posted a lot in that half hour, Peredhil! I saw your name all over the board index. Big Laugh Smilie

What I thought about: maybe we could have a separate poem section on the new pt. Now it's all listed under fan writings, which is a very good section by itself, but wouldn't it be nice if we could see fan poems under a separate list? Maybe that would encourage our poets here to submit some of their art? Question Smilie
Good idea Tommie. (I'm back to stay now) Big Smile Smilie
Is everyone on holiday, or is it just a faint idea of mine that there's not much going on here?

How's the new PT thing going, Taz? Need extra ideas, or help from the members (us) or whatever? Question Smilie
It's taking it's time as expected. Hoping for a Christmas release probably now Snowman Smilie
  [1] [2] >>