Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Poll: The greater of the two

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website General Discussion > Poll: The greater of the two   
Feanor or Galadriel?

Feanor: The mightiest in all parts of body and mind, in valour, in endurance, in beauty, in understanding, in skill, in strength and in subtlety alike of all the children of Iluvatar. He has no peers.
Galadriel: The Lady of Light, the bearer of the elven ring, Nenya. She has thrown down the walls of Dol Guldur and hidden the land of Lothlorien from the enemy's eyes.

Tolkien is of the opinion that both were mighty among the Firstborn. And that is that. As for your opinions I'm waitin'
Reviewing a bit: in the 1930s Tolkien wrote: 'Of these Feanor was the mightiest in skill of word and hand, more learned in lore than his brethren; in his heart his spirit burned as flame. Fingolfin was the strongest, the most steadfast, and the most valiant. Finrod was the fairest, and the most wise of heart.'

Then in the early 1950s he writes: 'For Feanor was made the mightiest in all parts of body and mind: in valour, in endurance, in beauty, in understanding, in skill, in strength and subtelty alike: of all the Children of Eru, and a bright flame was in him.'

But yet in the early 1950s Tolkien keeps the first passage too, even ultimately changing Finrod to Finarfin and extending the last sentence (so we know he simply didn't overlook this). If Feanor is the mightiest 'in valour', how then is Fingolfin the most valiant? or if 'in strength' why then is Fingolfin the strongest? Or if 'in beauty' why then is Finarfin the fairest?

I would agree with the guy who wrote: 'Galadriel was the greatest of the Noldor, except Feanor maybe, though she was wiser than he, and her wisdom increased with the long years.' And the same guy later said (something like): 'In this he emphasized the commanding stature of Galadriel already in Valinor, the equal if unlike endowments of Feanor.'

Hmm Wink Smilie
And if Feanor was the mightiest in understanding why didn't he understand that Melkor aka Morgoth could not be thrown down though Eru made him thrice greater than he was then? Why didn't he perceive the need of the hour during the Darkening of Valinor and the purposes of the Powers?
Is there anything u DON'T know Galin? Tongue Smilie
Well, it's just that I have considered these two texts before, anyway.

Maybe this is a matter of authorship and opinion: The Annals of Aman were said to be written by Rúmil in the Elder Days, and held in memory by the Exiles, and parts remembered were set down in Númenor before the Shadow fell upon it. Could it be that Rúmil esteemed Feanor so highly? while another author rather noted the greatness of Fingolfin and Finarfin in certain areas?

I don't know Smile Smilie
Seems like none other seems interested in this poll Elf Smilie
So sorry Council Members. Did not see the rules the first things to be looked into whenever you do something. Didn't know it was not allowed. Bump it or lock it, I leave it up to you,
Undomiel

P.S. Galin so sorry for not getting on with the poll but it says in one of the threads that polls should be sent through the proper channels.
Don't apologize, Undomiel!
I find this thread very interesting. Too bad I wasn't here when all this conversation was taking place.

I have never actually thought to compare Feanor with Galadriel directly, but I think it's really like comparing apples and oranges. One is more renowned for his cunning craftsmanship, and the other for her farsighted wisdom. I think Galadriel carries the "wisdom of heart" of her father.

It is interesting to note that such wisdom came with time, for in the earlier days, Galadriel carried a proud fire in her heart similar to Feanor's. But even then, Feanor's ego was greater, and his fall was inevitable due to his greedy protectiveness of his Silmarils. Galadriel may have been powerhungry at the beginning, but at least she wasn't selfish.