Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: 39 years ago....

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website General Discussion > 39 years ago....   
39 years ago our dear dear professor died. 2 September 1973 a day we will all remember. May he rest in peace. Not all who wander are lost. End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, One that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it. I just thought that he deserves a thread on this wonderful forum.
How lovely it is to read those words again. Thank you Arwen and of course you are correct that we should make mention here. I'm sure that as the rain curtain drew back and the Professor's ship made its way to the Swan Haven Quay, his blessed wife Edith was standing there, waiting to hold her beloved again. For I believe the Valar would allow these two mortals to remain together in the bliss of the Lands Undying.

Keeping in mind that the Undying Lands are not heaven or the afterlife, I would quote Aragorn:

'For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men, it is bitter to receive'

'So it seems,' he said. 'But let us not be overthrown at the final test, who of old renounced the Shadow and the Ring. In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory. Farewell!'

Lovely words from both of you. Galin thank you for the wonderful quote. I love it.

Rest in peace Beren and Luthien.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii263/Valedhelgwath/Ox-26.jpg

Val, nice that you replied. But the link doesn't work for me. Maybe you know why???

How wonderful Val.  Did you take that pic yourself?

Beautiful picture. I couldn't see it on my phone. But on this computer it works. Lovely picture.

From what I've read regarding the passing of Edith, the wonderful wife of our Favorite professor, it destroyed him. The touching addition of Beren and Luthien to the Tolkien's headstone is a heartfelt touch from the Professor himself and is simply gorgeous. It is said that The Tale of Beren meeting Luthien is based somewhat on a picnic Edith and John had in their youth in a country location during their courting. How romantic, gorgeous and wonderderful. Rest in peace beautiful couple. May your spirits rest together for ever in peace and love.

Arwen undómiel wrote

Quote:
Val, nice that you replied. But the link doesn't work for me. Maybe you know why???

That's my fault, I did it wrong. We didn't used to have link tools on the post window, so I am still in the habit of typing out the command codes long-hand. url /url doesn't seem to work anymore.

Brego wrote

Quote:
How wonderful Val.  Did you take that pic yourself?

Yes. Myself and my wife visited Oxford a few years ago. I had always wanted to pay my respects at JRR's grave, so we took the opportunity while we were there. Here is another one - hopefully with a link that works.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii263/Valedhelgwath/Ox-27.jpg

If any of you are ever near to Oxford, it is worth making the visit. The graveyard they are buried in is small and very quiet. There are no signs to the actual grave, so you need to look for it, but as you can see from the photographs, it has become a small, very tasteful shrine. Visitors have left small pebbles, jewelry and snippets of poetry there. The place has a very still and moving atmosphere. I must admit when my wife asked me something, I had to turn away from her because I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

Oh Val, what an amazing picture. And yes, the second link worked, whereas the first, for me at least, didn't. It's so beautiful, it leaves me speechless. I didn't know that on the grave it named them Beren and Luthien, though I knew he meant for that story to be him and his wife. It's just amazing. Thank you Val.

A huge hug to you Ilse and to Wim from me and Hasia.

I think about John Ronald and also Jack (CS Lewis) so much they may as well be part of our family, Thank you for this thread darling.

Val the gravestone itself looks and 'feels' so very peaceful and yet mysterious. lovely.

Dearest, a hug to you as well. And of course to my little sister, Hasia. You are so true about the gravestone. It looks and *feels* beautiful and peaceful and mysterious. Lovely. Dearest I hope you and Hasia are doing well. Love you.

Beautiful touching thread Arwen.

I didn't know exactly the date of Mr. Tolkien death. I use to remember all dates. It can sound a bit silly but what I do feel when someone dies, it's the pity of all the things he/she has planned and left to be done. Those thoughts and his/her remembers die together with their owner. I also feel pity for the ones who stay here. How can we go on living when someone close to us dies? Do you know? it's as if when you die, many things die with you too. You pass to another realm, begin a new path but everything you have lived, people you've known are erased from "Life's book".

Sometimes I think about my family for example. I know where my grandparents are buried, probably my children will know it too but will they bring them flowers to the grave? To someone they have never known. That's what I mean, when someone dies, many others die in this world; not literally but in the remembers. They will be dead for good.

Maybe that's why I love to visit cemeteries. When I visit a new city or even at home, I use to go to a cemetery; I like to see this sort of culture but also imagine how have time made these people be forgotten. Me, by watching their graves, at least bring them a ray of light, a voice by reading their names. Oh, it's aching and so sad.

By the way, lovely picture Val.