Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: idiot

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website General Discussion > idiot   
Overall, I like Lord of the Rings. However, I do feel that Tolkien kind of rips off Harry Potter in many ways. There are several parallels, such as elves, dwarfs, wizards, goblins, trolls, magic (especially invisibility), etc. Sauron is referred to as “Dark Lord” just like Voldemort is. There is also the elder white-haired bearded wizard who serves as a mentor, Gandalf, who is reminiscent of Dumbledore. Some of the character names are similar, such as Wormtongue as opposed to Wormtail, too. There is even a gigantic spider (Shelob) at the end of “The Two Towers” that reminds one of Aragog from Chamber of Secrets. I even noticed that the plots of both series begin with the protagonists’ birthday. Now I see that Tolkien, this unoriginal bastard, is coming out with The Hobbit in December. This would be fine, but why didn’t he just write this book first to begin with? I still like Lord of the Rings, though–don’t get me wrong–but I wonder if Tolkien has ever said in interviews whether he borrowed elements from Harry Potter. I’ll be watching the extended DVDs later this week and I think he’s featured on the commentary track, so I look forward to that. I can't wait till he discovers 007 wasn't a historical character; he's

this guy that wrote this was was  a gut who does not now how to tell the difference in years copied this to show you people that harry potter fans are ridiculous.

Hahaha, that made my day

LOL

This is a joke being posted across the internet.

Rowling is like 60 years younger than  Tolkien. Tolkien Finished his last  MAJOR book in 1977, posthumously. After that Rowling did her stinking pottter series, in the  late  90's. How the heck did Tolkien copy Rowling if he was already deceased? It is the other way around, Rowling copied Tolkien.!That guy can not tell time in centuries. Gosh, no wonder why i named this forum the Idiot.

Another complete buffoon and also all of you can tell a Harry Stinker fan. A moron and a Idiot like the name of the Forum.    but thanks to Mister Idiot we have humour in our Life,

Thanks,

complete Idiot

I Am with you Gandalf all the way. Knock out that clone that is trying to supplant you!

Well, if they each stood facing each other from 100 yards away, Gandalf would have to go from humble old man to full mair badass. That other one just has to point his wand to do basically anything, which means Gandalf would have to actually use his power. If it was any other type of fight, Gandalf could probably kill the other guy without leaving his humble old man. However, being able to do harry potter spell casting gives what's his name a lot of points in other areas. He can do lots of... things with his wand, like teleport (maybe?) and other stuff. Gandalf as an old man probably loses in the end, of course, as a mair spirit he is far, far beyond anything a mortal man can achieve. Would harry potter spells even work on him? I really know nothing about harry potter, but I have a feeling that an analysis would show that Gandalf as a mair is in fact invulnerable to spells. Most importantly, however, is the swag that Gandalf has. The other guy is a freking headmaster at a schoolcool while Gandalf is a wandering badass. Unfortunately, we don't know how magic works in Middle-earth (Gandalf can shoot fire out of his staff, that is all we know).

Well as funny as this is, I should clarify that this is fake and was made by what's known as a troll. Basically this one succeeded at their purpose in life...pissing off the internet. You can tell by the grammar. Anyone who writes with decent enough grammar will know good and well that LOTR came before Harry Potter. It is just illogical in every sense of the word...but is a perfect angle for a troll.

So when Tolkien fans encourage trolls like this just to call Harry Potter fans idiots...it doesn't make either party look good. And I have to say Tolkien fans are definitely a bit more...touchy.

Don't encourage internet trolls!! The only way to defeat them is to ignore them.

And yes I am a professional troll hunter, as was my father before me.

Okay,i meant this to add humor, and i did not write the first post, i copied off the internet at Harry Potter vs Tolkien. And also, if anyone has trouble with this forum, i will get rid of it. And please, i would rather be called Amras than a troll, so i hope everything runs smoothly.

Sorry Amras, I didn't mean to imply it was you. We've interacted plenty of times on this forum! Plus you said it was from someone else. I think we all know you're not a troll.

okay, thanks. i will be putting on more Harry potter stuff this week, if you do not mind. I think that is his hilarious, but if people do not like it, i will tear it down.

I do agree it's funny, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Harry Potter forum that has a link to this thread talking about how sensitive and overdramatic Tolkien fans are, even over something fake intended to rile us up :P    Again I'm not saying that's you, because this is funny, but that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Just another book series to me, and I know some good people who like Harry Potter!

Twilight on the other hand....feel free to rip away at that one. I'd love to hear a comparison of Jacob/Bella and Beren/Luthien. Don't know anybody with even decent reading taste that enjoys Twilight...

Thanks, there is a huge rivalry between these two factions and may Middle earth prevail. I like the Hp's as a book, but they are not being a fan worthy.

Well there are certainly a lot of things for fans to memorize (stupid spells with too many consonants). The books have movies. Finally, they are rather good. Having not read the myself I can't make a reasonable comparison to ME, but I doubt the ability of any fantasy to compare favorably to Tolkien. However, people can like what they want (as long as we can kill them for it) 

That is true, Avada Kadavra, Harry potter is nothing to Tolkien, but what about Eragon? I liked the series but the ending was dissapointing. Why did Eragon become a recluse hermit Dragon rider?

You know I could never get into Eragon. Something about it just didn't resonate with me. However I did have a nice little Terry Brooks and R.A. Salvatore phase. I admit I read some of the Warcraft books as well, they were hit or miss but a few were actually pretty good. I also really liked the His Dark Materials books, though that's not very Middle Earthy, though the writing is familiar and it takes place at Oxford :X

With Harry Potter, the similarity between Rowling and Tolkien is the universe behind the story. The books are only a part of what's happening in a unique universe, and this is one that's actually right under our nose. It's an interesting concept, I like them overall and I can see the appeal, though I think in 30 years it won't be nearly as talked about, while LOTR still will!

But like Tolkien, it's the world that draws people in. Everything you read starts a different story in your mind about what else is happening. But other than that it's apples and oranges. They're both fruit (fantasy fiction), but taste very different...

Lol sorry for the long post, just my take on Harry Potter :P

well, thanks Balrog's! Does anyone mind if i make this forum a joke page? Cause, we need humor. We could put comic jokes or hilarious misprints or whatever. I will keep going if it is okay.

Snape is ready for some war!. Gandalf as young -> Doesn't work? Click here -> .. >Snape >Snape >Snape? >SNAPE >SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE?!?!?!?! >explodes

Foxtrot - Harry Potter vs The Lord of the Rings 05.gif

Oh I get the magic trick now. hAHAHAHAHA

Here's one. I personally dedicate this one to Balrogs.

http://dc610.4shared.com/download/FXy5dUjR/edward-cullen-frodo-gandalf-ha.jpg?lgfp=1000

That is hilarious! Great one Glorfindel

now for my turn!

Hahaha!  I love these!  KEEP PUTTING MORE ON!  :-D

Thanks Nirwen!!!1 I will do exactly that. They are controversial, but hilarious.smiley

YES DO

I still can't get over the "Saruman's Mind of Metal" meme, that seemed to rustle my beard... hahaha