Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The New Planet-Tolkien.com

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website News > The New Planet-Tolkien.com   [1] [2] >>
So the new Planet-Tolkien.com has finally launched! All be it no thanks to my cold and other endless hurdles, however when looking around you should see many features requested in the Old Planet-Tolkien.com as well as some new ones. The website is also now far more interactive and will become even more so over the next couple of weeks. A year later and even I am going to say that I think we have a nice little new home here which will hopefully bring more happiness to some few Wink Smilie

Please use this topic to post bugs, queries and comments about the new website but not too many please as I could do with a rest now I
Taz,

I have not been on line but a few moments so, I have not found any bugs as of yet, but The New PT, looks great. You have obviously put a lot of your heart and soul as well as hard work into making this the best PT ever.

Mellie Smile Smilie Big Smile Smilie Wink Smilie Cool Smilie Tongue Smilie
Everything looks so new and crisp just like a winter morning in Hobbiton.

However, I keep getting logged out when I change sections.
This looks wonderful, Taz. You did a GREAT job!!!
Well its working now.Thanks, Taz.
Happy New Year all!!!
Itīs an amazing new look Taz!!! I love it..althogh it will be pretty hard to get used to, I mean learn to navigate through the site. I always seem to have trubbles with that with new places :p
Quote:
However, I keep getting logged out when I change sections.

Yes this is a known bug and I am going to attempt to fix it tomorrow fix thing!
Great new look!
As Grondy said though, everytime I go to home, or to another location, I get logged out. But you will fix that.

Oh, and I have a question about my Avatar. It sais it has to be 70X70 pixels..How do I fix that?

Oh, and there is no 'Today's Messages' thing anymore. Or anyway to see who is on. Or a way to see who wrote the posts.

And I keep trying to edit my profile, but when I go back, it still is on the edit it mode.

Don't get mad at me, I just wanted to write what I observed. I love the new site, and I am sure you can fix the little insignificant bugs up in a second.

Thank you Tarrant (will take time to get used to that one) Wink Smilie
Bleh.... I just typed a whole story about how wonderfull the new site looks and that I hadn't found any bugs other than the fact that I could not select "Wizard" as a race and as soon as I select "save post" i'm logged out....

Cheers (again)
Gandy
Ooo, wizard selection, that would be cool! Smile Smilie

I have a perty crown!! Yay! I

Now I just need my avatar!
Quote:
Bleh.... I just typed a whole story about how wonderfull the new site looks and that I hadn't found any bugs other than the fact that I could not select "Wizard" as a race and as soon as I select "save post" i'm logged out....

Sorry about this, I will fix it first thing tomorrow, promise.
Quote:
I have a perty crown!! Yay!

Anilorak, yes you have a crown because you have become a Community Supporter, I personally thank-you for doing so too! Winking Smilie
Hey, I just wanted to say that I love the new site Smile Smilie Great job! The only thing that I haven't found by now is how to see other users profiles. But anyway, everything works fine for me Wink Smilie
Oh, just one more thing: Are we able to change our password without having problems later? When I first joined Planet Tolkien I changed my password so I could remember it. Later I had to contact the Council because I couldn't post in the message boards. When they fixed it they told me we're not supposed to change the password. So, well, I was wondering if we could now without having problems with the forums later.
Quote:
The only thing that I haven't found by now is how to see other users profiles

It's on my To Do List!

Quote:
Are we able to change our password without having problems later?

Yes, members can now change their password from within Edit Profile.
I don't know if anyone read my question before, but does anyone know how to change an avatar form 64X64 to 70X70? If not, I'm afraid the Avatar everyone has come to know as Anilorak will be lost!!! Sad Smilie
Quote:
don't know if anyone read my question before, but does anyone know how to change an avatar form 64X64 to 70X70?

I have replied to your PM about this and will fix it on recieving the email discussed.
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry about this, I will fix it first thing tomorrow, promise.

Nothing to be sorry about, mate... I know it's hard to get things perfect at go-live Wink Smilie

Cheers, Gandy
The 'latest posts' on the homepage aren't getting updated.
Quote:
The 'latest posts' on the homepage aren't getting updated.

It is now, however it doesn't show individual posts but instead shows the thread of where the latest post was made.
Ah, ok. Are we going to have those indispensable little icons next to the thread titles to show that they have new posts? They're essential if you ask me. Also, I think it would be more helpful if threads were ordered by the time of their last post, rather than the time of their creation.
Quote:
Anilorak, yes you have a crown because you have become a Community Supporter
I have a shiremail accont so I support you too, but I have no crown. *sob* Very Sad Smilie
Quote:
Ah, ok. Are we going to have those indispensable little icons next to the thread titles to show that they have new posts?

I will put it down on my To-Do list and look into it.
Quote:
I have a shiremail accont so I support you too, but I have no crown. *sob*

Sorry Amarie, you indeed do have a shiremail account and it does support us but the crown is all part of our Community Supporter Membership Big Smile Smilie
Another thing (I'll stop after this one, promise), A lot of threads are one page longer than they need to be, i.e. their last page contains no posts. I fact I have seen one thread so far (I forgot which one) that had about 15 superfluous pages. This sometimes happened on the old PT as well. Can it be rectified?
Quote:
Another thing (I'll stop after this one, promise), A lot of threads are one page longer than they need to be, i.e. their last page contains no posts. I fact I have seen one thread so far (I forgot which one) that had about 15 superfluous pages. This sometimes happened on the old PT as well. Can it be rectified?

I have not seen this yet, post me the link please to such a thread and I will look into it, thanks.
Wheel of Tolkien has 143 pages of posts, but the list of pages goes up to 167. This may only happen for me, but it's nonetheless annoying having to mess about just to find the end of a thread.
i found this bug
he requested URL
/modules/edit_profile/change_password_process.php&PHPSESSID=$PHPSESSID
was not found on this server.
Quote:
i found this bug
he requested URL
/modules/edit_profile/change_password_process.php&PHPSESSID=$PHPSESSID
was not found on this server.

Aha! Thank-You I have fixed that bug now Angel Smilie
After I am on for a few minutes this message appears at the top of the page and I get kicked off.
Quote:
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: The session id contains illegal characters, valid characters are only a-z, A-Z and 0-9 in /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/dev.planet-tolkien.com/includes/session.php on line 10

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/dev.planet-tolkien.com/includes/session.php:10) in /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/dev.planet-tolkien.com/includes/session.php on line 10

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/dev.planet-tolkien.com/includes/session.php:10) in /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/dev.planet-tolkien.com/includes/session.php on line 11

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/dev.planet-tolkien.com/includes/session.php:10) in /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/dev.planet-tolkien.com/lp_source.php on line 56

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/dev.planet-tolkien.com/includes/session.php:10) in /nfs1/tazonlin/webs/dev.planet-tolkien.com/lp_source.php on line 87
This bug should be fixed now Stonehelm, sorry about that but I have been trying to fix the session expiring on some people who seem to keep on getting logged out.
I keep getting these "mithril pieces",and I was wondering,what do they do?
First of all, the new site looks great! You did an excellent job Taz, and I personally thank you for all of your hard work!

Iíve been kinda purposely staying away the last few days waiting for all of the bugs to be fixed, but here are a few things Iíve noticed, I keep getting logged out when I change from forum to forum on the message boards. As Peredhil mentioned, I also have noticed that there are at least a few threads containing all kinds of extra pages that have nothing on them (Wheel of Tolkien in the Ivy Bush, and The Party Tree in the Prancing Pony are good examples).

Iíve also noticed that in the two threads I just mentioned specifically, there are pages missing from the original threads. It looks like the last one or two pages for The Party Tree got cut somehow when the new site went live, and the transfer was made. The same thing has happened with the Wheel of Tolkien thread. Also I noticed in the ROTK movie forum, there was a thread called ďOf the threeĒ started by Anilorak that seems to have been deleted or lost somehow. I hope we can get that one back.

Another thing is that the signature feature doesnít seem to be functional yet. I created a new signature yesterday in my profile, and it isnít appearing on my posts. Anyway, Iím sure in about a month from now all of the bugs will be fixed, and PT will be better than ever!

Thanks again for all your hard work Taz, we appreciate it, and Iíll be sure to post any other little problems I come across(uhh, is there a way we can preview our posts like on the old site?).
Elf Smilie
Quote:
I keep getting logged out when I change from forum to forum on the message boards. As Peredhil mentioned, I also have noticed that there are at least a few threads containing all kinds of extra pages that have nothing on them (Wheel of Tolkien in the Ivy Bush, and The Party Tree in the Prancing Pony are good examples).

I am trying to fix this problem, only thing I have noticed at the moment is it is an issue specifically to do with Internet Explorer as I use Mozilla and do not experience any log out problems at all. As for missing threads, yes this is likely. I couldn't get everything over, sorry.

Quote:
Another thing is that the signature feature doesnít seem to be functional yet. I created a new signature yesterday in my profile, and it isnít appearing on my posts. Anyway, Iím sure in about a month from now all of the bugs will be fixed, and PT will be better than ever!

I haven't implimented the signature feature yet.
Topic categories now list sub-topics by their last post, this way you will be able to see the most currently active threads at the top of it's category list including the Last Post date.
Quote:

Yes it can and yes it has Smile Smilie
Taz, those nice little icons we had at the old boards showing if a new post was made since the last log-in, is it possible we can have a similar thing here too?? those were REALLY helpful and timesaving... (not having to open threads with nothing new since last time in them!)

other than that, love the new look!! (exept the wheather in Osgiliath, any chance of some sun soon??? Wink Smilie )

another thing: 1 post??? lol, i feel like a newbie!! :P (not that it matters, just found it funny)
Hey guys! Iīm writing from Spain! Needless to say, my flight went terrible with ultra security checks in L.A., endless delays in Atlanta, and Canceled flights in Paris. But I am finally here and am happy to see that Tarrant was nice enough to fix my avatar for me! Thank you!Á

Well, anyways, Iīm off to bar hop and stuff, PT is really coming along well!

Write on! I hope this is not too out of contexf for this topic (Itīs the first one I went to Smile Smilie

Hello Anilorak! Thanks for checking in and take care of yourself.
I just noticed that in many threads the initial (opening) post is missing now. Examples: some threads initiated by me in "Characters": Beren, Faramir, Turin son of Hurin. Will these initial posts be retrieved, or are they definitely lost?
Quote:
I just noticed that in many threads the initial (opening) post is missing now. Examples: some threads initiated by me in "Characters": Beren, Faramir, Turin son of Hurin. Will these initial posts be retrieved, or are they definitely lost?
The answer to this can be found by clicking here.
New PT, very pretty, 3rd attempt to post this, lets see if it works...
I have found that the forums are much harder to read these days.

You cannot tell when a post was posted anymore, so I don't if a post is 1 day old or 1 year old. It also seems that it is harder to read with all of the other "new" info on each and every post. Couldn't we move race and city under the avatar instead of under the post, making each page longer?

Just two little things that I noticed right off the bat.

bain
Quote:
I have found that the forums are much harder to read these days.

Give it time, it's a work in progress.

Quote:
You cannot tell when a post was posted anymore

This is true, I will figure out a good position to put this information later today.

Quote:
Couldn't we move race and city under the avatar instead of under the post, making each page longer?

No

On another note I have updated the thread page to now list 20 threads instead of 10, as per someone elses request. Also the "Last Post" column now shows the nickname of the author along with the date of the last reply.
Quote:
You cannot tell when a post was posted anymore

Now you can, top right of post.
Thank you Tarrant Wiggle Smilie
Quote:
On another note I have updated the thread page to now list 20 threads instead of 10, as per someone elses request. Also the "Last Post" column now shows the nickname of the author along with the date of the last reply.

Cheers Taz. It's getting better all the time... Thumbs Up Smilie
Well done Taz. You've worked wonders with the new site. Just one question: Will the few of us who don't yet have our old post counts restored ever get them back?
Tarrent, I want to become a sponcer, but I don't know how much $ to send or were to send it. Do you know?
Quote:
Well done Taz. You've worked wonders with the new site. Just one question: Will the few of us who don't yet have our old post counts restored ever get them back?

In the next week or so...

Quote:
Tarrent, I want to become a sponcer, but I don't know how much $ to send or were to send it. Do you know?

You can do it when logged in from the bottom of "Your Acount" > "Home", there is an upgrade account option at the bottom.
  [1] [2] >>