Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Very important news!!

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website News > Very important news!!   
Believe it or not about 50% of our active community members are under the age of eighteen, this is a statistic we do not take very lightly. In fact, we are quite proud of the family environment and clean and friendly karma one can experience whilst being a member of our website.

To keep it this way sometimes the Council has to set down rules and policies which might seem hard or unfair or just plain censorship. However quite simply it is our job to look ahead and judge as best as we can what is and is not acceptable to keep this place running smoothly.

1. We will not tolerate any form of rude language, racism or unsocial behavior in ANY kind of medium doing this your post will be edited to suit a manner we see fit and you will be notified with a warning.

2. Political / Religious Topics, Posts, Threads or Comments inside or outside of Tolkien related topics are not permitted. As moderators we have seen that such discussions always end up with people being hurt or insulted. On doing this your thread(s)/post(s) will be immediately deleted and you will be notified, continue with this and you will have your membership terminated.

3. No using another member's custom avatar. If you need help finding an avatar council members will be happy to assist you. Check the Help Menu under avatar.

4. No single line posts, or single smiley posts. We have noted that posts in the forums are frequently just "one-liners" and far off topic. Seventeen posts in a row with just "ha-ha, that's fun" or just a smiley in them gets really boring to read after a little while. We have a chat room and private messaging is also available so please do not use the forum to “chat”.

5. Please be careful of copy right infringements. We have noted that members are posting the lyrics of songs in journals and in the forum. Unfortunately, this does violate copyright laws and Planet-Tolkien can be held liable. Parts of songs, poetry, etc can be used for discussion purposes provided the author is given due credit.

6. No posting just to boost your number of posts. Try to make your posts as meaningful as possible

7. No abbreviations like "som1, or How r u"?" Please write full sentences. Not everyone is familiar with sms and chatroom lingo.

8. Don't post meter-long row of repeated text, such as hahahahahahahahahaha.It messes up the page and is also annoying

9. Posting of links to other websites should only be done in the Advertisement section of the forum. (Update: Grep is currently making a link page to replace this section. Please, do NOT post any new ads in this section at this time, nor anywhere else in the forum!) In keeping with the terms of agreement with The Family Friendly Site these sites must conform to the following regulation set down by the organization who have designated Planet-Tolkien as family friendly :

Quote:
Posts and enforces rules in its chat rooms and forums to prohibit
1. Sexually explicit language
2. Profanity
3. Remarks that disparage or ridicule other people

Thank you for your understanding. I know that we all want Planet-Tolkien to be a comfortable home for Tolkienists with a good quality forum in which we can share our thoughts and learn from each other.

If you have any questions, our e-mail address is: Council@planet-tolkien.com or you can use the Contact information under Miscellaneous in the left hand menu to contact us.

-The Council-
One should really appreciate the ability to do what you are doing. I applaud you for being here and being part of what makes THIS possible. As for the rules and regulations, not only we agreed with them, we are expected to support them. I am relatively new in this Planet (if you will), and I was blown away by what the statistics had to say about age. I recognize that some of my writing has not been entirely PG (I´ll be careful), yet I assure you the fun has never stopped. Also, that all the poetry I´ve posted has been my own (except if I was making fun of someone else´s). A very important point is No.6.
Don´t look up, here it is:
No posting just to boost your number of posts. Try to make your posts as meaningful as possible
I must emphacize in this point. One of the magics of reading one another is that now you know a chunk of who I am. Indescriptible but perceptible, as Tolkien would have refered to Fantasy. When I was writing this (and every other thing) I tryed to pour my thoughts into this greyish square. And you know what? It feels goood! You should try and take your time to "get your message across". I, for one, would appreciate much.
Nice of you to read me.
Now that was a great example of a meaningful post!

We should also remeber that not everybody have a fast, ADSL/Broadband line. It is very annoying to wait several minutes for the page to download and only find a "I agree" or a smiley post at the bottom.
I

I wholeheartedly agree with this! I admit that there was a time I thought otherwise, but I realised that your number of posts is not important at all... After all, what does it mean if you have 2000 or 3000 posts?

It doesn't matter how many posts you have, what matters is their content. If you want to ramble, talk about anything, play a game, or just let your hair down, go to the taverns. If you want to contribute something meaningful to a discussion, search the rest of the forum for something interesting, and I'm sure you'll find something you like. Don't post for the sake of posting. It doesn't contribute anything, nobody is helped with it, on the contrary, people with a slow connection find it rather frustrating.

So think before you post somewhere. Have you got something to say? If you don't think you have anything meaningful to contribute, don't post anything. (I'm not talking about the taverns now, they are good for posting anything at all, as long as it abides by the PT rules)
I cannot believe that Tommie of all people just said that. Really, times have certainly changed around here. erm... is that enough or should I carry on a little longer in case of deletion? Wink Smilie
Nice one Tommie. If our original posting freak (Tommie actually has nearly 4000 posts under her belt), can say that, then there's hope for everyone. Animated Wink Smilie
Yes well people do change. I know I once had over 4 000 posts (where's the time eh?), but I realised that the number is not what counts. If I cared so much about my number of posts, I would never have changed to my "new" nick, I would have kept my old one with the big number of posts. Now I had to start from scratch again, and I actually liked that.

I'm still a bit of a freak though. Tongue Smilie