Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: PT DOWN

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website News > PT DOWN   
That was a sticky few moments there! I moved banks a couple of months back and the direct debit that pays for the PT hosting didn't get carried over. I also didn't realise that I hadn't changed the email address that the ISP had for me so I didn't get the alerts. But I won't deny that there are financial problems since i've been unemployed for three months (starting new job with BT on friday tho) and had to choose between paying the phone and gas bill and getting PT back online.

Taz, without my knowlege and against my express wishes has been collecting the money from the PT supporter payment scheme since i took over the site, which is the reason we have stopped all the payments!

So i would like to start a simple donation scheme using paypal. In the last 12 months PT has cost 2500 GBP to run. We have generated $500 USD (200 GBP) in advertising revenue and to continue the development of the site we could do with a few quid in the bank! I don't need to make a profit but i would like to cover the costs incurred in running the site.

So we'll run the scheme as follows:

- Donate any amount from 2 GBP to 10 GBP and you'll earn my eternal thanks and a mention on the forthcoming PT supporters page.

- Donate 24 GBP (2 GBP Per Month) and you'll get the PT supporter badge in your profile, my eternal thanks, a special mention on the PT supporter page and access to a secret forum area of PT.

- Donate more than than 35 GBP you'll get all of the above plus a unique PT T-Shirt and access to an extra special list of tolkien characters which will appear in your profile and be unique only to you. This feature will take a month to get online and doubtless there will be a long que but there can only be one Gandalf!

All donations are one off, please send any donations using paypal to ant@planet-tolkien.com and then send me an email with your contact information to the same address.

(Sorry to have to ask for money, and whatever you can afford is very much appreciated) Grep
Gosh. This is one of those occasions where I would want to forget about the site being Family Friendly.

Anyway, *sigh* I cannot donate money, because I do not earn right now. I can't ask my parents for the money either.

Anyway, here's a suggestion. I don't know what the current host costs, but, have you checked out Dreamhost yet? They appeared to be quite cheap to me. I found them via Humorix and they seem to be quite happy.

If you need any help with computers and all, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Gosh I don't want PT to go down.
If you can't help don't worry - it's really a question of having a tier one host, the cheap hosts can't cut it unfortunately. Most of the money this year went on paying a DBA to sort out the messy database. PT won't go down! But i could do with some help on the costs front.
this is just one of the times when i also feel really bad i can't do anything to help. Financial problems are not in an area I can do anything to ease up the tension. I am very reassured that PT won't go down, but also very very sorry about my helplessness and a bit guilty about letting Grep and Taz carry all the pressure on their shoulders.
Quote:
Grep and Taz carry all the pressure on their shoulders.

I really wonder! Grep must be pulling his hair out by now...
OK, when I signed up to contribute, it was said that the payment could only be stopped by Taz. In the mean time, every time of the month, money got transferred, so how can this be stopped then?
Hi Rhapsody! Long time no see.

All the payments have been stopped now. However, if you, or anyone else, finds that money is still being taken from your accounts under the old PT subscription scheme then please email the Council.

I think the situation was made worse by the complexity of the payment scheme which made it near impossible to differentiate payments between PT members and other sources. Hopefully nothing similar will happen with the new scheme.

Quote:
Hi Rhapsody! Long time no see.

Hey honey, I am trying to be around as much as possible, just going through the final weeks before this little dunadan is born. But thanks, I ask my SO to have a look at it and thanks so much for all the efforts you guys have done. Once our son is born, I see what I can do to become a contributing member again.
Quote:
Hopefully nothing similar will happen with the new scheme.

I don't think it will. I use Paypal to pay for my shiremail address. I don't know how it looks in the recieving end, but I can cancel my payments when I want to.
WOW! A baybeeeeeeeeeeeee! Wonderful. When?

Quote:
WOW! A baybeeeeeeeeeeeee! Wonderful. When?

End of January, might be earlier. Smile Smilie Someone slipped me some ent draught...
Wow, Rhapsody!!! This is such incredible news! Congratulations. Don't forget to let us know when your precious gift arrives. Big Smile Smilie
Ok, how did I manage to post here earlier and not mention Rhapsy's baby? Babies are the best! I wish you all the best, Rhapsy, and you just *have* to send us pictures! You hear me? You have to. I'll nag untill you do. Smile Smilie
Council Members posting off-topic.... So nice!

P.S. No offence, but all the posts, except Amarie's first, after and including Rhapsody's second post don't belong here. I am afraid that this quite a serious thread has lost all its seriousness.

P.P.S. I can see why people would want to take the thread as a joke, with the CMs showing the least interest in the heart of the matter. Yeah, I guess I am pretty mad about this, that I logged in and out twice to edit my post.
Well, perhaps this is not the place, but now I can't get into the tokienchat. Does this have something to do with Grep's changes in the site? I don't mind the upgrades, it's just a bit disconcerting to suddenly not be able to enter chat. Any ideas?

And as far as getting off topic goes, Floyd--let's not get too paranoid. After all, if someone is having a baby, people can be forgiven for getting a bit excited. As long as the thread gives us the information we need, I don't mind congratulating someone at such a time. A Tolkien baby! Yeah!
I just tried the chat and I had no problems. We had a big update not long ago, so maybe that is it? Well I did have some trouble, the icons there are more confusing than helping. The ball with the green arrow gets you into the chat room.

Is that what gave you trouble too, perhaps? I go into chat from mIRC so I haven't looked at the chat page here for a while, so I don't know how new those icons are.
Oh and a quick lesson, Floyd (and all males). And when a baby is mentioned, especially a newborn or yet unborn, and there is more than one woman present, the baby IS the topic. No matter where or when. Wink Smilie
Quote:
And when a baby is mentioned, especially a newborn or yet unborn, and there is more than one woman present, the baby IS the topic. No matter where or when.

Progesterone - Floyd : 1 - 0
Oooh guess what, guess what!! *Jumping up and down* I became an uncle last month. That's the second time in four years that I've become an uncle! Gosh babies are sooooooooo cute! The naming ceremony for this little thing was funny, heheheh. You see, in our culture, aunts (father's sister) are to name the baby. Now this kid's aunt was in Australia. So lol, we called her up on her cell phone and put the phone to the baby's ear. *giggles*. Gosh that thing is so cute! The baby boy was named Ved in the end. Big Smile Smilie
Have I made my point yet?

Lame excuse to not be able to control yourselves Amarie. No offence.

And good one Mir. Big Smile Smilie

[Floyd fixed a grammatical error on the second line.]
I think you missed a key part of the lesson. WOMEN do that. Not guys. But I'm glad you are excited about your sister and her new baby. Congrats to her and to your family. Smile Smilie
Well I already have one god child, and recently added number two (a little baby girl) on new years eve and i became an uncle a year ago! I love talking babies as much as anyone, and Ama is right when she says
Quote:
And when a baby is mentioned, especially a newborn or yet unborn, and there is more than one woman present, the baby IS the topic. No matter where or when.
and i'd also like to add Never suggest that a woman is pregnant unless you can actually see a baby emerging from her at that moment in the meantime can we get back on topic?!! Smile Smilie
I was about to, I just had to read your post first, Grep. I am sure there will be more threads and notices when the actual PT supporters page come up and people can see it (and themselves), we'll see a paypal link on the front page and so on. The title "PT down" doesn't really suggest that it's about donations anyway. Might as well talk about babies. Wink Smilie

Anyway. I calculated a couple of hours ago what £35 would be in my currency, and I'm sure I'll be donating shortly.
Well Sad Smilie I only mentioned my pregnancy to say I won't be able to check my bank accounts when I am in the hospital or bound to my bed. So it was ontopic. I am sorry for the inconvience, but I did ask Tiger a while ago to pass on the good news, but I guess she was very bouncy about it.
Aww... don't worry Rhapsy. They are mad at Vee, Nell and me. Not you. Smile Smilie
Ok Floyd enough! Play nice with the girls! Rhapsody is excited about being pregnant lets not ruin a nice occasion. I do appreciate your help in the thread though.
Quote:
Well I only mentioned my pregnancy to say I won't be able to check my bank accounts when I am in the hospital or bound to my bed. So it was ontopic. I am sorry for the inconvience, but I did ask Tiger a while ago to pass on the good news, but I guess she was very bouncy about it.

Rhapsody, Don't worry about it, i made a thread especially for you to celebrate the good news!

http://www.planet-tolkien.com/board/cat/3/thread/3085/0

I do want to talk about the membership / donation scheme tho! Smile Smilie
Quote:
I do want to talk about the membership / donation scheme tho!

Re thread: Oh wow... *blush* You guys shouldn't have.

But as for the donation scheme, yes, I love the idea, I always endorsed this site with a donation and despite my absence over the past months, I still keep on planning to do that. I am just a bit disappointed it never ended up at the place it was meant for.

The new scheme sounds exciting (I am especially curious how the t-shirt will look like), but you know a coffee mug with Planet Tolkien on it.. that sound nice as well!
I'd donate, but i neither have Paypal, nor a credit card.

I'm one of those old fashioned ppl who keep money in an old, smelly sock under the bed.
Floyd, I should apologise I was probably a little harsh there, especially as you were trying to help and making a valid point.

Quote:
I'd donate, but i neither have Paypal, nor a credit card.

You don't need to have pay-pal or a credit card i believe you can use your bank account too.

I'm going to set up a page in the next few days where people can sign up for the new scheme. I'll also publish some designs for PT mugs and T-Shirts although you will have to wait for the end of the month when i've been paid for photo's of the real thing!

Quote:
I am just a bit disappointed it never ended up at the place it was meant for

I'm very disappointed too, I asked Taz to stop taking money when i took over the site, but he carried on taking money for almost a year until i realised and then carried on even when i asked him to stop, claiming that the site didn't generate enough money to buy a big mac! (which was not what he told me when i took over the site or what was suggested in the news article on the sale http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/11/tolkien_site_ebay_sale/). All the sales seem to have ceased now but, looking back over the past payments random one's seem to keep popping up in different months which worries me, and only Taz is in control of them.

Member page to follow in the coming days!
Quote:
Rhapsody is excited about being pregnant lets not ruin a nice occasion. I do appreciate your help in the thread though.

Duh!! I knew someone would say this. Anyway, I myself was excited about the news (contrary to what some people would think, I'm sure), when I heard it from Mir. So apologies to Rhapsody.

And I don't really see how I've been of any help.. Plus, that lovely picture at the top of the page doesn't really help with the design thing I told you about, Grep. I'm still trying stuff out.

Quote:
Floyd, I should apologise I was probably a little harsh there, especially as you were trying to help and making a valid point.

Don't worry, I don't take offense easily and you DO have the right to tell me to shut up anyway.

As for my valid point, well... quite simple really. Both the topics being discussed in this thread are quite important as to deserve their own threads and now we have them. Matter closed.

Anyway, I shall be earning around Rs. 300 next week, hopefully. That'd be equivalent to about 3-4 pounds. Not much, I know, but sadly, that's all I can manage right now Sad Smilie

As for the method of payment, well, I am in the same dilemma as Mir. To add to this, I don't have a bank account that would be helpful here either. I wonder how this'll work out.
Grep - I don't really have a bank account, Is there anyway I can send a money order for say 6 months to a PO box? or is there any other way can donate?
*Wanting to help out*,
Tiger
Edit - I ran it through a currency converter and it's nearley triple for one month so i may not be able to support PT Sad Smilie Sorry Grep
Well people, I've donated. Have you?
I dont have a paypal account - I could set one up tho'.

But, as others have mentioned, if I can send a cheque to an address I'm quite willing to do this, or let us know how we can pay using a bank account.

Also, you did mention about doing t-shirts, and while this is appreciated, isn't this going to eat into your funds?
I would love to mail a cheque somewhere, can we do something like that? I have grown to love this site and would like to help keep it going and pop-up free.
I've sent you a PM with the address information - thanks for wanting to contribute!