Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Weekly Polls

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Website News > Weekly Polls   
Send your ideas for our weekly Poll to council@planet-tolkien.com or send a private message to any one of the Council Members. They don't have to be 100% serious but some connection, however loose, to Tolkien would be nice. However, we will consider anything that might be of interest to our members.
The members might also look through Poll Suggestions in the Green Dragon Tavern to see if there are any of the old suggestions they would like to see run or rerun as it has been a couple years since the previous weekly (or should that be weakly) poll machine was abandoned. Elf Winking Smilie
The latest Poll was sent in by Cloveress.
Who got 500 Mithril points for her idea, so if you'd like to earn some Mithril then send in those ideas.
So why when I click on "previous poll results" do I get only the very first poll and none of the others?
mainly because i have to archive them manually and i've not got a lot of time right now
Guys, c'mon and get those suggestions coming in! We need your opinions on everything Tolkien!
Would it be stupid to suggest one here? Or is that too easy? ;-p

How bout "Most Tragic of the Noldor?"

Finrod, who left his true Love in Valinor, driven from Nargorthrond by avaricious Celegorm and Curufin and their Oath, to the redemption of his own in Minas Tirith: driven from his home, to die in his home, forsaken by all his kin.

Feanor, his father slain by Morgoth (whom he held dearer than the Silmarils themselves, "and who among sons, of Elves or of Men, have held their fathers of greater worth?") and seize the Silmarils he would never behold again, driving him in turn to his mad Oath and the Doom of the Noldor in the Kinslaying and Exile that would consume his house.

Turgon, who built the fairest of realms in Middle-earths history, "so that Gondolin upon Amon Gwareth becaem fair indeed and fit to compare with Elven Tirion beyond the sea," so at the last despite the counsel of Ulmo he couldn't leave it, and was betrayed by the nephew that cost his only sisters life, his own and that of his realm. And let's not forget the Helcaraxe, passed by Turgon, but not Elenwe his wife.

Fingolfin, whose line endures alone in Elrond and Eldarion, after Aredhel was slain by Eol, Turgon seemingly by his own hand in the fall of the Kings Tower in Gondolin, Fingon by Gothmog in the Nirnaeth, and himself by Morgoth, driven by the despair and madness of the Dagor Bragollach to a hopeless challenge symbolic of the Elder Days, where he seven times struck mighty blows against the Enemy, but was at last overcome as he KNEW any Elda must be by Vala.

Or Maedhros, heir to his father, and to his fathers disinheritance, leader of his brothers and penultimate victim of the Oath he did not love but could not loose, watching his fathers soul consume his body, then losing his hand when his dearest friend and cousin Fingon came to free him from torturous death despite the apparent betrayal at the Grinding Ice, one in which Maedhros took no part, only to see Fingon slain in the Nirnaeth, his kin Elured Elurin left to die by his own men, from which he could not save them and, at last, slaying the guards of Valinor and stealing the Silmarils at last finding all their cost wasted on what he could not hold and did not want, yet was bound to by Oath and fell Maglor (and what of him, who shared in all these things and whose end none save Eru know?)

Or Finwe, High King of the Noldor, and "Hurin of Valinor" who beheld as well these things destroy his House, and could do naught to aid as all his sons save Finarfin were slain until the Host of Valinor marched?

Enough?

Now who's the noblest of the Atani?
I like the "most tragic" one! Although I'd add Turin, Thingol and Melian(for Luthien).
Quote:
Now who's the noblest of the Atani?

Gotta be a rat race between Beren and Aragorn, narrowly won by Beren.
Hey you're forgetting all about the noble guys in the house of Hador!
I didn't, and I lean toward Hurin, though Huor deserves consideration, IMHO. We don't see much of him though, so I think Hurin Thalion, who slew troll upon troll shouting defiance as each fell and then spent his life watching his family pay the price of his defiance walks away with it. Morgoth could and did take everything from him save his soul: one must GIVE their soul.

Meanwhile, I'm sorry, but Turin, Thingol and Melian are disqualified from consideration in "Most Tragic Noldor" primarily because they aren't Noldor. ;-p I deliberately made both questions race specific so it didn't turn into a "Who's the most [your attribute here?]" series that terminates after a month from lack of fodder. Plus it avoids apples and oranges comparisons; I agree with Miruvor you can't compare the wisdom of anyone who participated in the Ainulindale with anyone that didn't. It's like asking if your mechanic knows more about cars than Henry Ford (or Gottfried Daimler, if you prefer.)
I do realize now that it was my mistake with the poll to add Maiar. Forgive me, people of PT. It was an honest, foolish blunder of mine that will no doubt cause the end of the world unless somebody changes it. (This is entirely for the benefit of M. Mir, as I know everybody else on PT probably don't even consider it a big deal and will forgive me).

And talking of polls, I just saw this lovely poll in Council of Elrond about which was your favourite music theme from the movies. Everyone seems to like the Rohan theme most. Well, it is very good. It was very interesting to see what the members said about what they voted. Howard Shore's music is just an endless topic of delight among Tolkien fans. You guys can go to www.councilofelrond.com to check it out.
What about something like "closest male friendship"?

Gimli & Legolas
Merry & Pippin
Frodo & Sam
Tķrin & Beleg (although I know killing your best mate should disqualify you)

That kind of thing.. I dunno, just brainstorming. I'm sure you can think of a few more to add.
Maybe 'Best Friends' rather than male friends. There is no need to distinguish between male and female unless you want to make a 'thing' out of male friendships. Which we don't, do we?

(Throws another log on the fire...)
Quote:
(This is entirely for the benefit of M. Mir, as I know everybody else on PT probably don't even consider it a big deal and will forgive me)

Not at all, Cloveress, as I definitely agree with Miruvor here.
OMG! We don't stand a chance against Mir AND VIr.
Quote:
I definitely agree with Miruvor here.

I wouldn't worry about this Vir/Mir thing too much, Vee. It is when he suddenly DOESN'T agree with his other self that we should be worried.
I like the friendship idea. And it inspires another poll in my head. One about "favourite siblings", such as the three Fs, the sons of Feanor, Eomer and Eowyn, Faramir and Boromir, and so on.

As for the worries concerning Mir/Vir. Don't bother. Just delete one of them.
Deleting accounts means that all post and journals will be gone. Which is
1)why Grep has spent months trying to get the Virumor account back, and
2)why deleting Mir or Vir won't do any good at all.

Just relax, it is being taken care of.
Heavens above!
Ground below!

And though deleting him wouldn't do any good, I am sure you would have liked to do it anyway, wouldn't you, Cover? Wink Smilie

Umm... what's the topic here again? Oh right. Polls. Most evil CM could be fun. Most nagging CM would be me, I'm sure. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
The full impact has just hit me, and I now whole-hearted abandon my relaxed manner about everything and agree with the "run for your lives" suggestion. Although maybe a peaceful negotiation would work out in this case. I've already sent my friendly congratulation to Virumor and am eagerly waiting his response.
Forget about deleting, Grep is merging Mir and Vir together. He puts both the accounts into Vee's frying pan of doom, stirs them well and pours the mixture back into the forum, so now we'll get Vir's old posts back and Mir's posts with Vir's name, and we'll have many people scratching their heads wondering who this Miruvor everybody is talking about is. Virumor is dead! Long live Virumor! Or something like that.
Wiggle Smilie

The PMs may be effected though, Clover. Maybe you should wait til Grep has finished his Frankenstein experiment before PM-ing Vir. I am half expecting PT go blow up. Oh me of little faith! Elf Winking Smilie
But if I can't PM M/V I have to discuss WoT with the spammers of wotmania! a fate worse than death! I like the favorite siblings idea, by the way, though I'm too tired to make a pick. I'm kinda curious how Olwe and Elwe would do, since we only see the former briefly at the Kinslaying. Prob'ly not well: they weren't in the movie, ya know, so they can't be that important (like Glorfindel, all he did was kill a Balrog, prophesy Eowyn and Merrys defeat of the Witch-King, and face him down twice.) By the way, PT, despite my conscientously voting each day, is a steady third on the Top 100 List, so we may need to use the electric cattle prod on those "5000 active members."
Merging is quite something. It reminds me of that "souls of Lews Therin Telamon + Rand in one body" argument. Morambar? (:-P

Quote:
I like the favorite siblings idea, by the way, though I'm too tired to make a pick. I'm kinda curious how Olwe and Elwe would do, since we only see the former briefly at the Kinslaying.

Favourite siblings : gotta be either Boromir & Faramir or …omer & …owyn. Or ManwŽ & Melkor.

Quote:
As for the worries concerning Mir/Vir. Don't bother. Just delete one of them.

And so the perpetrator has finally been discovered : twas our "nice, green Clover".
"I like my draught,
With a little bit of...
Poison!"

Would a dear foxglove or jimsonweed please give me some poison of my own? We need to silence that mouth of M/V's once and for all.

And come on guys, time to change the poll!
Posion Cloveress, huh? We lose more members that way. And is it weird that you said what I was just thinking: "Gee, maybe this is a MONTHLY poll...."

As to the other, well, the idea of "mad Virumor" WOULD explain a great deal. ;-p As long as you don't start sobbing about "Cactusess, my Cactusess!" in the background I guess we're OK.
OK, who voted for me in the Most Evil poll? I'm making a list...
Me.
And me.
I was tempted, but I like to be different.
If Vee and Morgoth were in the same world at the same time, then maybe I would get a clearer vision of who's eviller, but right now in my mind, Morgy's just a bit nastier than the goddess.

And I don't mind being called "Cactusess" so much as to being called Mir's "cactusess"!

We should've put you in the poll too. Another oversight on my part.

Quote:
OK, who voted for me in the Most Evil poll? I'm making a list...

I did!
Oh, so this poll was suggested by your exaltedness? Well, I don't think Vee's so evil compared to you anymore.
I have never been evil and I cannot understand why people think I am. Is it so wrong to roast newbies over the fires of Mount Doom? Is it so wrong to sacrifice the occasional member on the altar of Tolkien's goddesses? Is it so wrong to pull the leaves off Cloveress - one by one, slowly whilst cackling?

Anyway, if I am at all evil it is happy evil whereas Vir is grumpy old git evil.

Quote:
Is it so wrong to pull the leaves off Cloveress - one by one, slowly whilst cackling?

At least you get all the fun. I have to remove all them needles from Cactusess.
Then you should do it with joy in your heart and a song on your lips!
Ouch! I only have three leaves, y'know. And Cactusess has already been murdered by Vir, the unthoughtful, unfeeling but undespisable plant-killer.

Quote:
Anyway, if I am at all evil it is happy evil whereas Vir is grumpy old git evil.

So true... but usually it's the joyfully cackling evil frenzy that scares me... I have to deal with old gits all the time.

And nice poll. Was it one of mine?