Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Khazad-dumish Inn.. Please watch your head coming through the door.

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Roleplaying Guilds > The Khazad-dumish Inn.. Please watch your head coming through the door.   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] >>
"I understand..maybe i should have handled it diffrently.. But the important thing now i think is that im here now.. And im not leaving." he said with a slight smile. Then he seemed to remember what he was doing and finished preparing the athelas. With the water steaming he put the leaves inside and mixed them well. As the athelas mist rose from the bowl, Etharion handed Ice his cloak so she could put it over her head and inhale the sothing fumes. "This should help with your cough.."
A elf walks in hitting his head on the low door.
"hello everyone umm im not much of a singer but ill give it a go since that is the rule" he says.

Bald mountain night
devilheart endures but light

black cauldron born
gurgis heart is forlorn
pig-keeper or a hero on a quest of augury

malevicent's fury
the spindle so luring
dragon fight
dooming might
dying night
Thorin who had benn sitting quietly in a corner suddenly woke out of his own thoughts and lokked the elf over.

"welcome," he said, "to the best inn in these part and that's saying too little!"

with that he returned to his own thoughts...
She smiled at him from underneath his cloak, and sighed deeply as she inhaled the athelas fumes. After the newcomer had finished his song, Ice lifted her head a bit, and said loudly, "Good job, friend, that was lovely!" She then bowed her head once again, trying to keep the steaming cup beneath the cloak as well. After a minute of this, once the steam had finally dissipated, Ice looked up at Etharion and grinned. "Well, my dear friend," she began, "it's nice to know you're not leaving this time..." she added with a twinkle in her icy blue eyes.
"Bravo, bravo!!" applauded Etharion to the newcomers song. Then turning back to Ice he smiled "Yes..its good to be back here..for good."
Ice smiled at him, and took another deep breath of the athelas steam. As the mug cooled, her cough slowly dissipated, and she removed his cloak from over her head. Cocking her head to the side, one of her ears falling over kind of a like a dog's, Ice's ice blue eyes twinkled, as she asked softly, "So when you say you're here to stay, what does that mean?"
Out of character: Arath, you like the Prydain Chronicles? I don't recall ever reading that song, but as an avid fan of the Prydain Chronicles, I recognize the subject.

When the elf finished, Fionwë started clapping, "Well sung! You have a fine voice, Master Elf."
Drawing a small curved knife from his sleeve, Fionwë sat down at a table by the window, and started carving a piece of partially shaped wood.
meanwhile thorin who had been sitting quietly in a corner suddenly stoped and took something out from his pack which was on the floor. retreiving it he laid a big book on his table and opened it. however he didn't read it immediatly. he advanced towards the bar and called the innkeeper 'cause he wanted to wet his beard.
out of character: you are mistaken fionwe its the lyrics of a finnish band called nightwish

Arath sat down by the bar
"do you have any wine" he asked
Grondy brought a tankard of 'Gimli's Best™ Ale' to Arath's table as well as a combo platter if the Inn's snacks. "Nice song sir. This is our normal complementary libation for the singers initial offering; however I can bring you a pitcher of our best house red or white wine as a replacement. Your choice."

OOC:That Finnish band obviously took their inspiration from Lloyd Alexander's 'The Book of Three' the first book of his five(?) volume series 'The Prydain Chronicles' which was loosely based on the 'Mabinogion', the classic collection of Welsh legends. (These latter legends also cover the sinking into the sea, the lands to the west due to the gods' anger at their inhabitants, aka Beleriand.}
thorin who was sitting to the right of arath said:

"a cup of beeeer for me and could you tell me if anything interesting happened recently in these parts"

after that he laid a silver piece on the bar for his beer.
"Here is your beer Thorin, and a bowl of popcorn to nibble on. As far as what's happening out side, I don't really know except I keep seeing some of my customers come in all wet and bedraggled, while others come in all beat up. Where these latter met with their torrment, you'd have to ask them. Anything else I can get you?"
"No thanks"

"i'll think that after having finished my beer i'll go and explore outside a bit and i think i'll take my axe with me. the neighbourhood sounds dangerous"

"and thanks for the popcorn"

"and could i have a rooom for to night?"
"this will do for now thank you" arath said
Quote:
OOC:That Finnish band obviously took their inspiration from Lloyd Alexander's 'The Book of Three' the first book of his five(?) volume series 'The Prydain Chronicles'

OOC: There are six, one is a prelude though. Not just from 'The Book of Three' , but also 'The Black Cauldron'.
"Well...it means im staying here for now.. Thats it." he said with a knowing smile, and he took Ice's hand in his. "Care for some hot chocolate? I love the one Grondy here makes.." he said thoughtfully already smacking his lips in anticipation..
Ice shuddered slightly with his touch, then smiled and nodded. "Oh indeed," she said grinning, one of her ears twitching a bit, and a soft breeze blew into the inn. "Yes, Grondy does indeed make the best hot cocoa, I would love to have a mug," she continued, her icy eyes glinting in the firelight.
"Good then." he said with a smile. "Grondy friend, please could you whip up two hot chocolate's?"
"Two hot chocolates coming up." And Grondy set about melting the dark chocolate, when it was soft, he stirred in some fresh cream and milk, added a half-teaspoon of sugar, a dash of vanilla, and a shake of salt. When it was well mixed he poured it into tall mugs and topped it with whipped cream and a sprig of mint.

"Here you go folks, enjoy."
I think I'm gonna copy that recipe and use in real life, Grondy, lol
WARNING: On your head be it, for the above recipe came from the top of my head and has never been kitchen tested. I did consider adding a smidgin of brandy to it. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Well thanks, Big Smile Smilie but I'm not old enough...heh heh

Ice smiled and accepted the two mugs of hot chocolate and returned to their table, gently placing a mug in front of each of them, then sliding carefully down into her chair, cringing a bit, as her muscles were a bit achy from the cold she had. She grinned and took a bit gulp of her cocoa, making an interesting face as the hot liquid slid across her mouth and down her throat...needless to say, that waterbarrel in the corner was being utilized once again.

I'm sorry for breaking the seriousness of any conversations, but I've been in a good sort of mood all day, and I wanted Ice to be some comic relief...and because something very similar to that happened to me earlier....
Its ok. There's no need to excuse yourself. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie

Etharion was about to warn Ice that the chocolate may still be too hot to drink but she already gulped it.. And as she leaped to quench the burning liquid he couldnt supress a sudden outburst of laugh. Tears ran from his eyes as he banged the table seeing such a sudden reaction from the rash Ice. Orc Grinning Smilie
thorin entered the inn again not mindful of the door cause it was fit for his height. he had previously been to the blacksmith and was just newly come.

"hey grondy what's the special feast for new year?"
"Roast Who-beast on a spit over the Yule Log or roast duck; candied sweet potatoes or yams; smashed potatoes and gravy; asparagus, artichokes, or Brussels sprouts; followed by blackberry cobbler or gingerbread, both with dollops of whipped cream; and beverages of your choice.
Alternative menu can be provided for those with dietary problems, given 24 hour's notice."

Finally done with continuously dunking her head in earlier mentioned barrel of water, Ice walked over to the bar, coughing up a bit of water, and said, "Grondy, my friend, would happen to have a towel or something I could borrow? I got a bit wet...heh heh," she added, laughing a bit nervously and glancing around the room, her eyes alighting on Etharion, who was pounding his fist on their table, and laughing his heart out, with tears in his eyes. When Grondy handed her the towel, she walked back towards the table, planting her feet apart, and crossing her arms right beside Etharion's chair, while glaring down at him. With a sparkle in icy eyes, Ice took the soaking wet towel, and swatted Etharion across the back of his head with it, then tossed it towards Grondy, and returned to her chair, sitting down very dainty and ladylike...with a huge grin on her face. "Now, my friend...where were we?" she asked sweetly, and SIPPED at her hot cocoa.
"good grondy! will there be special guests and gifts?" thorin asked.
Etharion stoped as he felt the towel lash. He looked at Ice and feeling somewhat embarased at how he laughed at her misfortune he cast his gaze to the floor "Sorry..um..its my allergies..cant stop..laughing when they..hit me..umm....yes" he finished and sat down smiling. "Where were we? Well after your unfortunate accident, that could have happened to anyone, i couldnt possibly remember what we were talking about.." he said with a grin.
Laurelome had been laughing helplessly in the corner (safely behind one large wing...) and now attempted to inconspicuously sip from her own hot chocolate mug, only to start laughing again and spill the mug down her front, miraculously catching the large mug through a series of rather acrobatic (for a bird) maneuvers...she set the mug quickly on the table with a quick glance around...
Grondy, long ago found it the safest policy to let slopping owls lie, thus he only grinned inwardly seeing Laurel's discomposure.

"Not really," Thorin, "the only special guests will be those of our customers that walk through the doors that evening. I've hired the 'Hard Rock Jug Band' featuring my hard-rock mining cousins for that evening's music.

There will be a few free tin whistles, noisy moth-tongues, balloons, and a blizzard of confetti, but as far as gifts go, there will only be a few rounds on the house and our complimentary bowls and platters of bar snacks. Of course we wouldn't frown on any of our patrons wishing to share gifts.

Oh, and visiting drovers will have to have designated drinkers so nobody gets in trouble going home afterwards. And the upstairs dorm will have clean buckets beside each cot for those who decide to sleep it off here.
Thorin who had been quietly sitting in a corner suddenly jumped on a table and cried:

"hear, hear"

"to celebrate the coming of a new year i propose a toast to one excellent bar keeper, grondy," here he paused a drunk a mouthful of his ale and continued, "and another to all the customers and everyone who contributed to our great inn, cheers."

"and happy new year to you all"

Pary Smilie Pary Smilie Pary Smilie
"Aye aye!!!" yelled Etharion and smiled widely as well. "Three times hip hip hurray for our Grondy!!! And a most wonderfull, exciting and happy New Year to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dunce Smilie Pary Smilie Juggling Smilie Orc With Thumbs Up Smilie Orc Smiling Smilie Orc Grinning Smilie Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Juggling Smilie Cool Elf Smilie Happy Elf Smilie Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie Alcoholic Smilie Waving Hello Smilie Wiggle Smilie
Thank you, thank you, but I couldn't do it with out the help of Eva and a few others who have helped out in the past including those that investigated the noise in the dumbwaiter and discovered the caves below the sub-cellars. Also it is you patrons of the Inn without whom we couldn't stay open and I wouln't have a job. So thanks again.

The band will set up and be playing before I get back here a couple hours before the New Year and many of you will be gone by then, so in the meantime I'll wish you all a Happy Safe and Sane New Year.
Well the band is playing, the drinks are flowing, and the words are printed out below for you that don't know them by heart, so you can join me in our rendition of the song at the crack of midnight to welcome in the New Year.

Old Lang Syne
by Robert Burns

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And old lang syne?

For old lang syne, my dear,
For old lang syne,
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For old lang syne.

And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp,
And surely I'll be mine!
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For old lang syne.

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For old lang syne,
For old lang syne.

We twa hae run about the braes,
And pu'd the gowans fine;
But we've wandered mony a weary fit
Sin' old lang syne.

For old lang syne,
For old lang syne.

We twa hae paidled i' the burn,
Frae morning sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roared
Sin' old lang syne.

For old lang syne,
For old lang syne.

And there's a hand, my trusty fiere,
And gie's a hand o' thine!
And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught
For old lang syne.

For old lang syne,
For old lang syne.

Pary Smilie Pary Smilie HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE Pary Smilie Pary Smilie
Ice smiled and raised her hot cocoa in a toast to Grondy's speech, then looked back at Etharion, and shook her head, grinning, and saying, "I can't say I remember what we were talking about, either. Soooo..." she said slyly, and stood up from her chair. She walked back around to Etharion's side of table, leaned down on the across the tabletop, her face right next to his, and said, "What'd you get me fer my birthday...AND Christmas? heh heh..." she added, with a grin, one of her ears falling to the side again.
"Aye, Happy New Year everybody!!" then turning back to Ice he said "Weeell..the dagger was in fact for your birthday. And for Christmas, i got you..." he trailed off leaving the inn. Shortly arriving back in, he was dragging a large post. Setting it upright, and seeing her blank face he said "Its a scratching post for yer...kitty!" he explained with a smile. "I got it specially crafted by some friends in Erebor."
ROFLUIPMP: The scratching post for her kitty cracked me up. (Another male who still hasn't fathomed that the ladies don't appreciate utilitarian gifts for special occasions.) Teacher Smilie
Oy...half of my post is missing...this already happened once..
OOC: Which half? You can always edit your post to put it back. I've often lost the first part of a post if I started it with a smilie.

"Anyone need a refill or some more snacks?"
OOC: What's going on with the bottom of the page?

Fionwë turned from the window and listened to the party, he didn't feel like joining in, though. He had an uneasy feeling, a shadow that kept nagging at the back of his mind and wouldn't give him any rest. Looking down at the object in his hand, he gave it a few finishing touches with his knife before walking off with a troubled look sitting awkardly on his normally cheerful face. He had taken off his armor some time before so as to be more comfortable...
Ice took out the dagger he had given her, and flipped it around between her hands, idly, while staring at Etharion, her icy blue eyes flitting from the tree trunk to Etharion. "A scratching post?" She asked incredulously, though she had to cover her mouth with her hand to keep from laughing at the elf. "You got a scratching post for Selen?" she continued, and at the mention of the cat's name, her large white and blue head appeared at window. She meowed and pawed at the window, and Ice couldn't help but smile at the sight of her friend. "Oh..so you like it?" Ice asked the cat at the window. Selen meowed again, and nodded. Ice turned back to Etharion and smiled, saying, "Well, she likes it, so I like it, good deal, my friend."
Etharion continued on, as if he hadnt heard Ice "I know..its a stupid idea for a gift.. im just terrible at thinking of ideas for presents.." he bablled on oblivious.

As for that last post of mine..i tried adding it again, but it just wont show on the page. This is what it should have read:
"Its a scratching post for yer...kitty!" he explained with a smile. "I got it specially crafted by some friends in Erebor."
Is that better?
Yep, that fixes it. Thanks Vee!! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Fionwë looked around for Eva, but not seeing her, he put the ocarina he had just made for her in the kitchen. Going outside, he walked past Etharion and Ice hardly noticing them as they were talking. He walked into the woods, looking for something to ease his mind, or the source of his unease. He looked at first idly, until he saw some tracks, at this he started looking more carefully. Following the set of tracks west, he saw them join up with another, larger group. 'Probably a scout then', he thought. Following the enlarged tracks, he saw another pair joining again. Having walked for some time, and being quite a distance from the inn, he was about to turn away and head back, when he heard a sound that made him drop to the ground. It was a hated sound that he had hunted for almost 230 years, that had grown familiar, more repulsive, and more hated each year: orc voices. Easing his sword out a little, so that he could draw it in a seconds notice, he crept forward 'til he saw a little clearing, where ten orcs sat around a campfire eating as the shadows of the twilight gathered about them. 'Fools,' Fionwë thought, 'They haven't even set a sentry. Last mistake they'll ever make.'
He crept over to a tree and stood up behind it. Drawing his sword quietly, he searched in his mind among his magic for something to use against them...
Laurelome had been outside using snow to scrub the sticky chocolate out of her feathers when Fionwë stalked past. She leapt up into the sky on quiet wings, curious, and followed from above using some low-hanging clouds as cover. She saw the orcs' fire before Fionwë, because of her high vantage, and was able to land before he arrived. The eagle's long talons made silent work of the orc sentry, and she perched on a nearby tree, one claw on her prize. The great Eagle saw Fionwë aproach, and crouch, preparing to fight, and whispered down from above "Enough for two, do you think?"
Startled by the eagle's arrival, Fionwë looked up. Glancing at her fearsome talons, he replied, "The more the merrier. I'd be glad to have such a warrior with me in battle."
Running his fingers along the length of his blade, he leapt out from behind the tree and thrust his blade into the air. A fireball went flying out of it and crashed in the middle of the surprised orcs. Uttering a word in the tongue of the Valar, his gleaming blue blade burst into flames as he charged through the smoke, decapitating two orcs in a single swing...
Meanwhile back at the Inn, Grondy started a huge pot of Navy bean soup flavored with ham, carrots, onions, and celery. When that was on the simmer he finished moulding many loaves of whole grain bread which he popped into the outdoor oven; and then he slipped back to the bar checking to see if any of his customers desired anything.
Etharion paused as to listen to something "Did i just hear a fireball go off somewhere outside?" he said straining his accute ears. "Oh well..must have imagined..all those adventuring days tend to make a elf a bit paranoid!" he chuckled lightly.
Arath who had just wacthing everything for a while jumped up

"may i sing again?"
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] >>