Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Khazad-dumish Inn.. Please watch your head coming through the door.

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Roleplaying Guilds > The Khazad-dumish Inn.. Please watch your head coming through the door.   << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] >>
Ashwyn listened idly to Morohtar's conversation with Death. It was vaguely amusing, and seeing as she didn't need to worry about death (As in from old age.) It was curious to hear how other creatures handled it. Though she did wonder what happened to departed elves who had fallen in battle and whether they had any connections to other dead mortals in the afterlife.....
Morohtar could sense what Ashwyn had been thinking about, and turned to her.
"Hardly any elves have been slayed away from battle, but I heard rumours that Gil-Galad had a punch out with Isildur at the Gates of Mandos." Morohtar said to her, amused.
ELVES CAN CHOOSE TO REMAIN IN THE MORTAL WORLD, said Death, OR THEY CAN SHARE THE FATE OF MEN AND GO WHO KNOWS WHERE.
"So, are the Rumours of Gil-Galad true? Who is he re-incarnated as, and do they know that they were once Gil-Galad?" Morohtar asked.
ELVES FORGET THEIR FORMER SELVES WHEN THEY ARE REBORN, replied Death, SO WE CAN NEVER KNOW.
"You said you deal with the important ones, so did he choose and was he specific?" Morohtar replied.
NO. HE SAID SOMETHING NOBLE ABOUT WANTING TO CONTINUE TO FIGHT EVIL EVEN IF HE DID NOT KNOW IT.
"Ah. How many elves have actually decided to go to the Halls of Mandos, and how many have died in total?" Morohtar asked.
Loss, who had once again been sleeping in his usual corner for now what seemed like many months, opened an eye to see all around him. From what he could gather, there had been alot of commotion and too many major events. Hoping that it shall quieten down, Loss ordered a small meal of bread and ale, merely because going months sleeping will build an appetite. By what Loss is, he does not need very much. He looked about the Inn and gave a slight motion to Fornac to cease his shouting each time he spoke Moderator Smilie. He then sat back and proceeded to light his pipe and enjoy the evening, wondering where the Inn-Keeper Grondy was, and considering his position to keep an eye on what goes on, other than sleeping through it.
Morohtar turned, and looked at the figure in the corner.
"Who are you?" Morohtar asked, drinking some more wine.

And Fornac, I agree with Loss about the shouting. You should also use speech marks and start a new line and stuff, like you do on the rest of the RPGs you're in.
OOC: Neither of you have read Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, have you? My character is Death (read back over the last few pages, Loss, to understand. Death came in a little more than halfway down page 69) and always speaks in capitals to signify his deep, echoing tones of lead. He also never speaks with quotation marks.
And Eruheran, you should have known!
Atleast start a new line then.

Morohtar continued to drink.
TO YOUR PREVIOUS QUESTION, MOROHTAR, said Death, I DON'T KNOW. I'VE LOST COUNT OVER THE YEARS.
He then turned his hooded skull to the unnoticed stranger.
I COULD OF COURSE BE MISTAKEN, BUT I THINK THAT HE IS ONE OF THE NAZGÛL, FROM HIS TASTEFUL ATTIRE AND AURA.
OOC: @Fornac: Writing in caps in a forum is considered shouting and in some way rude. That's what Loss was pointing out.

"Greetings Loss," Thorin said bringing some bread and a tankard of Gimli's Finest(TM). "Things have been rather chaotic here in the absence of Grondy. I am the stand-in Inn keeper so if you need anything let me know."

"You are a Nazgul then?!" Morohtar shouted, suprised.
"You will know my father. He was also a Nazgul, he died, headed south, rebuilt his kingdom, returned five years later, and died within a few days of his return." Morohtar asked.
"Actually, He didn't die. Death murdered him, and his last words were that I need to wait a few years to take his throne, and some other bloke is going to be King." Morohtar added.
Quote:
OOC: Neither of you have read Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, have you? My character is Death (read back over the last few pages, Loss, to understand. Death came in a little more than halfway down page 69) and always speaks in capitals to signify his deep, echoing tones of lead. He also never speaks with quotation marks.
And Eruheran, you should have known!

I appreciate your heavy involvement with your character, but this is a Tolkien-Based Inn and not at all connected with Mr. Pratchett's Discworld, so, if you would like to take your character to a new RPG then you are welcome, but please try to keep in line with what the Inn is based on, this is the way it has been since it's beginning back in the day Moderator SmilieOrc With Thumbs Up Smilie.

Also, I did not want to be the one to point the finger, but your incessant upper case characters are opposing our Rules; No. 8, which is why I asked you casually in the first place Teacher SmilieElf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie.

"Thank you Thorin" said Loss as Gimli's Finest™ was placed before him. "I'm glad that someone has taken over the Inn until it's owner has returned from his holiday, I expect you've enjoyed being on the other side of the counter." To Eruheran and Fornac's assumptions, Loss looked about himself and smiled, "I don't know what you mean, I am just someone who stays to this corner and sleeps then wakes throughout the years to give the extra eye to the Inn for Grondy, but please, do not stop your conversations, besides, my eyes feel heavy again." He sat back and continued with his pipe and drank his Gimli's Finest™ quite happily.
Morohtar suddenly stood up from his chair, and went up the stairs, returning minutes later with a new cloak. He then threw it onto the table, and sat back down.
"I forgot you wrecked my old one." Morohtar muttered, before having a mouthful of apple juice.
OOC: I thought that it would be acceptable, since the Inn has hardly ever been strictly within Tolkien's world (electric guitars, non-LOTR magic, large blue and white cats, just to name a few). So I thought an apparition of Death would be OK. Still, I did make a mistake in that Death should actually speak in small caps, I'll rectify that when I have access to a computer (on holiday and using an iTouch ATM). Though if you find it completely unacceptable Loss, I'll have him leave the Inn.
Though I don't really understand your comment about starting a new line, Eruheran, since I hadn't written anything before that on those posts. There was no need to start a new line.
Very Evil Smilie

Morohtar leapt from his chair, and looked at the calendar. April the First. He grabbed his cloak, and ran to the cellar, returning 5 minutes later, covered in dust and soot.
"I fixed the Badger machine!" He shouted, jumping onto the tables and reactivating the speakers, before swinging on the chandelier to the exit/entrance.
"And I... Accidentally... destroyed your pitchforks!" Morohtar added, before laughing evilly.
"Aprils Fools!" He shouted, flicking the lightswitch. The Room went pitch black, and the door slammed shut. Moments later, the badger song resumed.

Morohtar leapt down from the apple tree in the garden, and ran to a dust covered statue in the corner, and pulled down a large sheet that was on top of it. The Statue of Grondy, and the crane that Eruheran had used to get it onto the roof the first time was still there. Morohtar climbed the crane, and ran across the top of it, before leaping onto the roof of the inn. The lights suddenly flickered back on, so he dropped a smoke grenade down the chimney.
"Death, you killed my Father!" Morohtar shouted down the chimney, using this as an odd form of revenge.
The song and sudden dark were very annoying but the smoke bomb was intensely irritating. Scowling Ashwyn jumped up from the table and stalked after Morohtar to tell him exactly what she thought of this stupidity. "April Fool's day." she snorted "What a pathetic mortal holiday." She could see him on the roof and so she quickly and quietly made her way to the roof as well.
"Ashwyn!" Morohtar shouted, suprised.
"What time is it? Was the fireplace on when I dropped the bomb?" Morohtar added, deactivating the Badger bomb. The loud music stopped, and Morohtar coughed from all the smoke. He kicked the wood that had been covering the hole in the roof, and it collapsed. He then jumped down, landing in one of the guest rooms, and waited for Ashwyn to follow.
"Ashwyn, come down. We just need to go downstairs and hope the fireplace wasn't turned on!" He shouted, jumping, before slamming through the second patched up hole, landing on a large table.
The dim blue light from Death's scythe blade shone in the smoky darkness.
I DON'T MIND, he said. DARKNESS SUITS ME.
He then heard Morohtar and Ashwyn talking about the fire upstairs, and looked towards it. It was still smouldering, and the smoke grenade was giving off copious amounts of smoke in the glowing embers.
IT'S STILL GOING, he said, not needing to raise his voice for it to penetrate all corners of the Inn.
Ashwyn goraned inwardly. Why was it that these mortals didn't think before they did something? Still she jumped gracefully down beside Morohtar and turned to look warily around, beginning to dread what they would find when they went to check the fire.
Morohtar heard the echoes of death, and coughed from the smoke. He could see the outline of the ashes.
"It explodes if near to fire." Morohtar explained, leaping melodramatically to the fireplace.
"Death... Can you shove your hand in the fire and save our lives?" Morohtar asked, after burning his hand trying to get the bomb.
What a disaster! Ashwyn felt sorry for the poor inn. It seemed like it took a beating all the time! Now though she glared at Morohtar "If you knew that it exploded if it made contact with fire then why would you do such a dumb thing as to put it into a chimney?!?!?"
"I Expected the fireplace to be off!" Morohtar muttered, before throwing his arm into the fire and pulling out the smoke bomb.
"I only bought this one because elves are cheaper. Dwarven smoke grenades are less explosive!" Morohtar argued, throwing the grenade through the window. It exploded the second it hit the glass, and covered a corner of the inn in soot.
"Elves are amazing." Morohtar muttered sarcastically, leaving for his room.
Eva, smelling the smoke, emerged from the kitchen, where she had been cleaning and organizing when she wasn't out in the garden, which required considerably more attention. She stared at the shattered window and the soot-covered corner.

"...Seriously? It's like that family is on some sort of quest to damage this inn..." She looked up to see that the boards covering the hole in the ceiling had fallen as well. "I realize the idea behind April Fool's, but even Cloveress' pranks didn't cause this much actual damage." Eva missed the fairy, the more so because of the nature of the holiday.

She grabbed a broom to start sweeping up the glass and soot. "Any volunteers to fix the roof?" she asked. "I'm not skilled at carpentry, nor do I have confidence in my skills to get the boards back up there. I'm just glad they didn't break another table when they fell in..."
I SAW THORIN'S WORK ON THE DOORS, said Death to Eva, motioning towards the beautifully carved front doors of the Inn. I'M SURE HE COULD FIX THE ROOF UP PROPERLY IF CALLED UPON.
The little blue pinpricks of light in his eyesockets darted around for a few moments, looking for the dwarf, but the short, dependable bartender was nowhere to be seen.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE HE MIGHT BE?
"I Did not expect that to happen." Morohtar shouted from the room above.
"I will fix the ceiling. I was forced to build a library by my father, because that bunch of elves from Mirkwood are lazy morons. And some other elf woman didn't help either." He added, taking apart the bed in the room, and begun to the pieces in place on the hole.
"Whose room am I wrecking?" He added, as he hammered some more pieces of bed into the hole.
Ashwyn snorted. Morohtar's jibes directed at elves didn't bother her that much seeing as he was the one saying them Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie but all the same they were irritating. she jumped down into the inn and smiled at Eva. "I can help clean up if you'd like." despite the fact that she hadn't done anything, Ashwyn felt responsible for at least part of the mess and helping Eva clean up didn't seem like it would be a problem.
Eva scowled slightly. "I'd like to see him say that to Thranduil's face," she muttered before turning to Ashwyn with a smile. "Thank you, that would be nice... could you finish sweeping this bit up, then, while I get the dustpan and the things to scrub off the soot that won't just sweep up?"
"I'll Help. And I don't mean Thranduils folk. My Father asked some elves of Rivendell to clear the place, so they went off to the Undying lands and got a unknown bunch of elves to do it, from Mirkwood. And the Elf woman who helped him didn't help with the rebuild either." Morohtar explained, pulling out a water balloon.
"This is much quicker!" Morohtar added, throwing it in the corner. It exploded, and the water cleared the mess, into a small puddle.
"Much Quicker. Get a bucket!" He finished, throwing his coat onto a table.
"...If they're from Mirkwood, they're Thranduil's folk... And I only mentioned him because he's the most easily riled of the Elven leaders. I'm not sure he would care which elves you were talking about." Eva flicked dirty water from her tunic. "And it would have been better if you did that after the sweeping was done, but thank you."
"There was a bunch of unknown people in Mirkwood actually. My father met a bunch of tiny bears in hoods." Morohtar added, sitting down at the bar.
"They lived in huts on the top of trees, and had funny helmets they used for drums. Weirdos." He finished, finishing his drink.
WHICH CREATURES DO YOU REFER TO? asked Death. I'VE NEVER HEARD MENTION OF THESE HOODED BEARS, AND IF I HAD, THERE WOULDN'T BE MANY LEFT TO TELL THE TALE. THEY SOUND IRRITATING.
The chair that Death's presence had been slowly rotting and eradicating over the past few minutes suddenly gave, and Death fell to the floor with a swoosh of robes and a clatter of bones.
AH... he said, picking himself up with a sigh. He looked at the black remains of the chair, then turned to meet the stares of the diners, some of whom turned back to their drinks with a shudder. I DO THAT. I'LL JUST... he glanced at another chair, and thought twice ...GO AND STAND IN THE CORNER.
He picked himself and his scythe up with as much dignity as possible, then walked over to one of the corners furthest from the fire. Death turned and watched proceedings with dark intent.
"One gave its name as... Wicket, and another was Teebo." Morohtar replied.
"My Father was planning to head east, and find out where they came from. Then some stuff happened, the Elf woman ran off, so he came back here, leaving me in charge. Then his men headed north and came here, some nutters had attacked the place. They hadn't come back so I came here." Morohtar added, somehow turning it into his life story. The top of Deaths thumb hit him on the foot, and he turned around. Death was rebuilding in the corner.
"Where are the other 3 Horsemen, Death?" Morohtar asked, sliding the thumb down the bar.
WAR, PESTILENCE AND FAMINE? asked Death. I THINK THEY'RE LOOKING FOR SOME OTHER TAVERNS IN THE AREA. WE DECIDED TO DO AN INN-HOPPING TOUR ALL AROUND MIDDLE EARTH BEFORE GOING BACK TO THE DISCWORLD, AND WE'VE FOUND A FEW GOOD ONES SO FAR. He paused for a moment. INCLUDING THIS ONE.
"Any others." Morohtar asked, reaching for his Scimitar.
WELL, I HAD A QUICK LOOK INTO ONE EAST OF HERE. THE... BARAD-DÛRISH INN, I THINK IT WAS. FULL OF ORCS, BRIGANDS AND THE LIKE. NOT REALLY MY TYPE, BUT I THINK WAR IS STILL THERE.
He saw Morohtar going for his wickedly curved sword.
WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU DOING?
"Nothing..." Morohtar replied, letting go.
"You were about to say the Barad-Durish is better than this place." He explained, standing up to go to the toilet.
IT IS, IN MY OPINION, said Death. BETTER HYGIENE, FOR ONE THING.
"The Barad-Durish is more hygienic?" Morohtar replied, swirling his sword.
"I heard that they have fight pits. Arthion is in the middle of a fight with a pack of Wargs there." Morohtar explained.
Grondy crawled through a crack in the floor "Whew, thought I'd never get back from where ever that was, took me months to do it too." He looked around at all the new people; climbed up on a bar-stool and said. "I'll have a pint of Gimli's Finest™ if you lot haven't drank all me barrels dry; and add me a plate of Spicy Hot Balrog Wings, if whoever is running the kitchen still knows how to make them."
WELCOME, MASTER DWARF, said Death. I MIGHT BE MISTAKEN, BUT ARE YOU THE KEEPER OF THIS INN?

This might all be a tad confusing, Grondy, as there's been about five or more pages added to the Inn in your absence! Suffice to say, it's been a bit hectic.
Hooray!

"Of course I do, Grondy! I'm hardly that forgetful. Though it's lucky you left plenty of the spice mix, because I wouldn't have known how to make that." Eva stuck her head out of the kitchen. "I'm sorry the roof and windows are a bit patchy, this bunch has been pretty rambunctious with no one to keep them in order." She grinned. "It's good to see you again, by the way."
"Grondy's back?" Morohtar grumbled, waking up. He turned, and saw Grondmaster, before examining him.
"I heard about you. My fathers statue of you is in the garden. It was meant to be on the roof but... it collapsed, almost killed him, got us attacked a few times by a weird bloke and a dragon, before my father was killed by Death. I then arrived, and it has calmed down since then."Morohtar explained, before running to examine the crack.
"How do you get in there?" Morohtar asked.
"And I will pay for the damage in the ceiling." He added, pointing to the roof, and then the ruins of the table in the corner.
"The wings seem to taste alright Eva and me ale hasn't turned sour, so thanks to those of you who have minded the Inn while I was away."

" Your offer to pay for the repairs sounds fair and is accepted Morohtar. Don't know how I got in that crack, but I sure I don't want to return there. I'd like to ensure it stays closed; maybe a good grade of glue needs to be squirted in it; or maybe I should hire a friendly wizard. But first I should check the ceiling in the first cellar below the crack to see if it goes clear through, won't be surprised if it don't because I haven't been down there for months."
THE CELLAR HAS ACTUALLY BEEN VENTURED INTO DURING YOUR ABSENCE, GRONDMASTER, said Death. MOROHTAR'S LATE FATHER AND A RANGER THAT HAS SINCE LEFT ENCOUNTERED YOUR SPIDER DOWN THERE.
"I am unsure of how you knew about that, but Ashwyn was also there. And how much do you need to cover all of this? I will add an extra 100 gold pieces* for an extra floor, if needed?" Morohtar replied, heading for his room to get the money.

*Or whatever the ME Equivalent of £200 is.
MY OMNISCIENCE HELPS, said Death to Morohtar's first statement before Grondy answered.
  << [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [45] [46] [47] [48] [49] [50] [51] [52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57] [58] [59] [60] [61] [62] [63] [64] [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74] [75] [76] [77] >>