Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: What is Sauron?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > What is Sauron?   << [1] [2] [3]
Well of course that was just an effect for the films. It looked good though.

My original point was I don't think that beginning scene would have had so much impact if it was done like it was in the book. Having Sauron fall after fighting with Elendil and gil-galad would have made Sauron seem like an easy to beat in combat foe. However becuase he was vanquished in the film by a mere mistake on his behalf it made him appear even more invinvible should he come back.
Quote:
Having Sauron fall after fighting with Elendil and gil-galad would have made Sauron seem like an easy to beat in combat foe.

Well, that's the way it was. Sauron didn't wait to come out of Barad-dŻr until the very last moment for nothing.

I do not think filming the prologue as in the books would portray Sauron as easy to beat, it would only stress the might & valour of Elendil & Gil-galad.

That is, if it's filmed appropriately. One should film a rather long and fierce duel, which would imo impress the easily gullible public even more than what was really shown.
Quote:
That is, if it's filmed appropriately. One should film a rather long and fierce duel, which would imo impress the easily gullible public even more than what was really shown.

That would be nice, but time is probably the reason it was done as it was. Can't waste too much time on the prologue. And it might mean cutting down on the Dwarf jokes! Heaven forbid! Let's make it a lucky accident instead.
Yep for once vir is right sauron seems to easy to beat in the prologue of lotr though i wander where gil-galad was? Maybe out-of-focus? I seem to remember seeing someone wielding a spear but it's too vague. Maybe you guys can tell if gil-galad was in the prologue.
He seems like an elf gone wrong. But then he seems like a wizard. And then he seems human like. So confusing.
Smeagol its not confusing. Sauron is a Maia, just like Saruman, Gandalf or Saruman. He was at first like most Maia akin to the Valar. He came to Middle Earth before the Elder Days when the Earth was young and laboured to create a liveable world for The Children of Eru. At some stage early on he aligned himself with Melkor, The Fallen Valar and First Dark Lord. Over the Ages he aided Melkor and did his best to destroy the Children of Eru. He could, like all Ainur take any shape he wanted, sometimes monster, sometimes Humanoid, sometimes spirit. His power grew under Melkor until he became possibly the most powerful Maia on Arda.

After the removal of Melkor at the hands of The Valar he almost confessed and returned to Valinor to be punished and return to the fold. However he gave in to his Dark Side and remained in Arda and became The Second Dark Lord of Arda.

The rest I think you know.

In Tolkien's earliest mythology (The Book of Lost Tales), Sauron was a demonic cat, Tevildo the Prince of Cats.

Then he became Thu the Necromancer

And finally, Sauron became a Maia who allied himself to the first Dark Lord Morgoth.

<< [1] [2] [3]