Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Film and Book: How do you see the caracters?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > Film and Book: How do you see the caracters?   
Do you mean physically, as in looks? Or as in personality?
That doesn't matter, whether it's about personality or looks or whatever : they are all hidious.
In looks,I still imagine them as I did before I watched the movies.
And in personailty,I look at them a bit different.
In looks i see them as the movie presented but not always. In sprit i see them as seen in the book and always will, though i love the movies.
When you see something on film it is very rarely how you first imagined it to be when reading a book. However, once you have seen something on film, the memory you originally had in your mind tends to be erased and replaced with the film version. Now when I imagine characters from LotR, it is the actors faces which I see, not my original impressions.

Saying that, the film versions of Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo and Gimli were all remarkably close to how I had always imagined them. Legolas, Faramir, Eomer and Theoden were quite different (and in particular chubby-elf Haldir).
I think I look more at the characters in the book. After the movies (one and two) I was reading the book again, was checking everything, so I was checking the charackters.

I think I always see the BOOK_Charakters on the first place, we dont wanna talk about the *mistakes*but so I saw more off the carakters, what I not saw befor the movies, but always like Tolkien try to make it in oure imagineten. (sorry..............I dont no how to spell)
The Characters I see them as they always were in my minds eye. I know what VAl means by them being erassed by the films as this happened with Leto in that dune miniseries. But for the disgrace of cinematography I will not allow them to polute my immagination.
Nobody, absolutely nobody in the movie version was in any way alike to how I imagine him after many repeated lectures of the book. The same is true also for the places and landscapes. Perhaps with the exception of parts of Rivendell valley and of Moria.
I imagined them much more wonderful.....Legolas much wiser and a person who you could see that though his looks are young he is about 3000yrs old......Now with Orlando he looks like a dumb ignorant elf who just wants the attention of the ladies!!!.....BLAH TO THE MOVIE! The books rules!
I think they did a pretty good job making the charctrers in the movie. The book described aragorn as tall but borimer broader. And wat do u know? Thats how they made them in the movie. Other wise I dunno. I read the books after they came out with the movies!
Well, thanx you guys...
I wanted to explain it, but Val did it very well...I actually see (since the fims) the caracters as PJ chose and that just bugs me cuse I don' want to but I cant get those faces out of my head...
I saw the fotr movie I read the books. But the new movie carracters does erase the image I had of those from the book that weren't in fotr. I see Ians face when reading about Gandalf and Elijahs face when reading about Frodo.. A bit annoying, though I loved Ians Gandalf.
I have to admit it I was initially disappointed since I wanted Connery and Gibson for Gandalf and Aragorn, but both Sir Ian and Viggo performed admirably. The deluge of blonde Eldar (among other things) prevents any danger of my envisioning the characters in the movie mold.

You're right about Saruman, too, Miruvor, an oversight on my part. It seems some good came of the Clone Wars after all (just not in those films.)
I imagined Aragorn a little older and nobler (EE cutting of the mouth of sauron's head in a parlay?? but that is a different matter) and Galadriel with less 'witch-like' eyes.
But aside from that, I think that the rest were admirably cast.
Well, Bilbo comes close to how i imagined him, and also Galadriel the first time we see her, stumbling off them stairs, but that's about it, although Saruman gets a thumbs up as well.

I think Galadrriel was cast okay, though Eowyn was sort of miscast. It's the bad thing about movies, they always differ from your imagination in some way, and that sticks into your mind.
Well, you know what they say about opinions....

There's no way Galadriel could've lived up to my expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised by Eowyn. Well, the actress anyway....
Hmmmm.... have I said this before? FARAMIR! He didn't look like, speak like or act like the character in the book as I see him. Galadriel did more or less - I liked the mischievious twinkle in her eye. Gandalf - yes, Saruman yes, Bilbo and Treebeard - yes. Frodo - no way. Legolas - no way. Aragorn - more or less. Elrond - not a chance. Eomer - yes. Eowyn - no, she was way too fragile.

I think that, when reading, our minds often form a solid idea of what a character looks/speaks like depending on how receptive we are to the clues given by the author. And our view may change as we find out more about the character. But the very nature of imagination can make this a hazy image - so many ideas and descriptions to process as well as action and images. Therefore some characters may be unformed like an outline. It is very different to 'read' a character than to see it on the big screen ready made and that, unfortunately in some ways, is a very strong image likely to overwrite any vague outline we may have previously created. This is OK if the screen image closely resembles the one we have but it does mean that a lot of screen images become prevalent.
for me, most of the older characters were portrayed far better than that of the younger, or younger looking ones.
Saruman and Gandalf in my opinion were very good, but they were of course played by Christopher Lee and Sir Ian McKellen respectively, 2 very accomplished actors.

Contrast that with Frodo and Legolas, 2 characters who i dont believe were portrayed well, Orlando Blooms first big acting job and Elijah Wood, who while not bad, i dont believe has really proved himself in a real acting role,(although i believe the way he acted was good in LotR, i just dont believe he portrayed the character very well.

Thats not to say it was all the actors fault, far from it, John Noble, who played Denothor, is a very good actor, but look at the character.................

having said all that, I stil believe that it was impossible to portray the characters well for everybody, because there are countless different interpretations and minds-eye pictures of the characters, which in itself is one of the beauties of the written word, over the mindless pleasures of just being told what the characters look like on screen.
I didn't see Eowyn as fragile in the movie, but maybe I had the books on which to lean. I just saw her as quite and subdued. I think the phrase was "steel wrapped in silk." I could just have seen what I wanted to see though (although not with characters like Gandalf and Aragorn.)
Before I say anything, I would like to compliment Peter Jackson for his hard work in the production of the Trilogy. They were fantastic!
Anyway, I had read the books about a month before the FOTR came out. I could picture the characters vaguely. But, when the movies came out, it was like my faint pictures of the characters had come to life. It was as though those were the characters that I was imagining all along. PJ casted perfect actors/actresses for the parts. I was EXTREMELY impressed with who they casted for Galadriel and Arwen. Cate Blanchett really gave the mysterious appearance to Galadriel and Liv Tyler did a wonderful job with the emotion involved with her relationship with Aragorn. (Actually, Viggo Mortenson was a perfect choice for Aragorn!) Well, I could probably go on forever. Cheers to PJ!
It is interesting how we each see the characters. Eowyn was described as

Quote:
Very fair was her face, and her long hair was like a river of gold. Slender and tall she was in her white robe firt with silver; but strong she seemed and stern as steel, a daughter of kings.

I have always seen her as sombre, tall and slender but looking as though she could wield a sword and fight the WitchKing. The Eowyn in the film seemed 'flimsy', a puppy dog to Aragorn, begging for his attention. She lacked the strength I associate with Eowyn.

I didn't particularly like Arwen either. Her eyes were always watering.

At the weekend I watched all three EE DVDs and thoroughly enjoyed them despite not being completely true to the books. I hated the character of Gimli, wished Frodo had more maturity and wanted to slap The Mouth of Sauron. Wormtongue was excellent as was Theoden. Also I loved the character of Boromir and still cry at his death.
Quote:
Yes, there was a lot of dust blowing around those sets in New Zealand and she could never find a brand of eyedrops that really worked for her. Of course I may be making this all this up out of whole cloth. Elf Winking Smilie
I guess that Eowyn will always be a warrior (or warrioress?) in my mind- someone who can stand tall and proud and fight for what she believes in. Arwen to me is slightly more tranquil. But Liv Tyler is too flimsy, even for that.
Quote:

Or maybe she was allergic for Barfagorn's rough Ranger beard, so that Orlando Bloom had to be stand-in for the kissing scenes.... very slick, Ms Tyler.
lol...the first time I saw Arwen I thought she was just perfect. I always just saw her as this really beautiful woman, nothing more (come on, people, the book didn't exactly say much about her, did it?). And Liv Tyler, no matter how emotional she gets, is definately beautiful...