Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Ents

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > The Ents   
Intresting.Not disapointing to me,I still think the Ents are more of Tolkien's invention then Shakespeares. Big Smile Smilie
Tolkien still made them talk and gave them a language, places to live, life and soul, and Entwives. Even if he didn't invent walking trees, to me he still invented the Ents.
Tolkien introduced Ents in TT, but already in FOTR he introduced hostile trees from the Old Forest (Old Man Willow & Company). When I first read about them, I had a very strong "deja vu" sensation. And then I realised that hostile moving trees were also in "Ther Wizard of Oz!".
Trees are living creatures and although they can't walk or talk, we can imagine them doing so. I don't think Tolkien "invented" Ents, they were already there, he just named them Smile Smilie
I think some of the old Anglo-Saxon and Nordic stories that Tolkien used to translate also contained walking trees. I think Ents, specifically, were a type of giant in the Beowulf sagas.
The revelation that Shakespeareís MacBeth influenced Tolkienís Ents does not disappoint me in anyway. Personally, I always find it very interesting to learn more about the things that inspired Tolkien, and helped influence his creation of Middle Earth, or I should say Ea in general.

Even though the idea of walking trees so to speak was not originally his, I still feel like Tolkienís creation of the Ents is still most definitely his own invention. Tolkien took that idea to a whole new level. To me, what Tolkienís Ents stand for, who they are, and what they represent is radically different from the idea that was at work in MacBeth.
Elf Smilie

Well all that is true, and Tollkien's work, I'm sure , is not just a partof imagination. However, I would prefer to keep in my little brain tht he invented the Ents... Wink Smilie Although I love Shakespeare too, but just a lot lot lot less, that's all... Tongue Smilie
Shakespeare's walking trees weren't Ents, they were mobile trees. Ents aren't trees, they are treeherds. So IMHO Tolkien invented Ents. Happy Elf Smilie

Of course I suppose someone can probably go back to Grecian Drama or the Sanskrit Tablets and find something that is comparable to an Ent, but until such time as they do, I'll watch. Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Shakesphere wishedd he could make live trees as good as da ents!! Tolkien had a spectacular vision 4 da ents. And oz has nothing 2 do wik LOTR cause da trees weren't mobile.
Quote:
Shakesphere wishedd he could make live trees as good as da ents!! Tolkien had a spectacular vision 4 da ents. And oz has nothing 2 do wik LOTR cause da trees weren't mobile.

Shakesphere. LOL. I like that name. I don't think he was that fat at all. Shakesphere!

Anyways, getting back to te point. Whether Tolkien invented the Ents or not they are the most intelligent beings that have ever been created in any story. But yes...I'm still confused as to the birth of Ents. It is not explained very nicely in either of LOTR or the Silmarillion! Does anyone here know?
I thought they were just regular trees and the elves "awoke" them... i think they originated shortly before the 1st age.
That's what given in the LOTR. But somehow, my instincts tell me that there is something more believable and descriptive given in one of the other Tolkien writings!
Yes.... They are to special to be ordinary trees.
Quote:
i think they originated shortly before the 1st age.

Didn't Yavanna create them? As an answer to Aule's creation of the Dwarves? Besides these wonderful treehearders... don't you love how they were portrayed in the movies? Any ideas where the entwives may have went?
Yavanna didn't create the Ents, Eru did. She was discussing with Manwe the problem of the Dwarves and her beloved trees, which she was worried would be destroyed by the Dwarves. 'Not to worry!' said Manwe, 'Eru had taken care of it'

There were going to be giant Eagles to watch over the animals and they would live in Aule's trees, the mountains. And there would also be treeherds to watch over her plants. This would be until the Elves left and the Men inherited their dominion. Or at least this is my summary of the ending of The Silmarillion's Chapter 2.
As usual, the last post is Grondmaster saying exactly what I would've, but with more eloquence and brevity.

I once had an Engish Prof. who essentially maintained that literary critics are in agreement that everything from the Aenied to the Divine Comedy to Huck Finn to On the Road were just "Odyssey Redux" the one exception being the critics that held the Odyssey was just a rewrite of the still new (to modern scholars) Epic of Gilgamesh. Comparisons are inevitable, but the appearance of Elves in both Middle-Earth and Xanth don't make them derivative on one another.