Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Legolas & Gimli

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > Legolas & Gimli   
Questions: Question Smilie

Did Legolas & Gimli ever find Valinor (after Aragon decided to give up his life, they both got a boat to find Valinor)

Why didn't Arwen go with them? I know she gave up her mortality but surly her people would have helped her.

Who buried her if all the Elves had gone to Valinor?

Sorry, but I've so many questions. Read Smilie I wish Tolkien had kept the story going on. Very Sad Smilie

All you guys are helping me - thanks for all answers to all the threads I've posted witth questions Serching Smilie

Thanks Kiss Smilie
Arwen's ending is quite lonely and sad...

Quote:
There at last when the mallorn-leaves were falling, but spring had not yet come, she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.

Appendix A LotR

I feel that Tolkien was illustrating what a great sacrifice she made in staying and the cost to herself of loving Aragorn and following her heart.

I don't know how Gimli and Legolas went to Undying Lands but again in Appendix A it says:

Quote:
But when King Elessar gave up his life Legolas followed at last the desire of his heard and sailed over Sea...

But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel; and it may be that she, being mighty among the Eldar, obtained this grace for him.

Cathol-linn wrote a story about Legolas and Gimli and how they left Middle-earth. Find it here

Tell This Mortal

It is a beautiful story and a wonderful interpretation of Legolas and Gimli's leaving Middle-earth.
Quote:
Who buried her if all the Elves had gone to Valinor?

The Dwarves put her in a glass coffin, waiting for some fair prince - whether he's a fat, green goblin or not : who knows - to wake her from her dreams.

Well, seriously : the "green grave" is a bit unrealistic to me. If she died, her corpse should've been dealt with by nature in the usual way : by crows and vultures. After that, wild dogs would've taken her bones to their holes, endlessly gnawing on it.

Good old nature does the job !
Oh Virumor how un romantic Shaking Head Smilie
Unromantic, but most probably true. Vir just put my own thoughts into words.

Maybe first, lots of tiny woodland birds and squirrels covered her with a blanket of silver Mallorn leaves, but unless they were able to build a cairn of heavy stones, once the crows and jackels turned up, the end result would be the same. One day a princess in mourning, the next, just dinner for the scavengers.
Unromantic? Depends on culture..

In Nepal, Tibet or somewhere arond there, people bring their dead loved ones up on a mountain peak to be devoured by the birds. They even cut them up a bit to help with the process. The birds are seen as the link between heaven and earth, and in return for the flesh the birds bring the spirit of the dead to the God(s). (Disclaimer: IANAA)

Our traditions of putting our dead in a hole in the dirt is seen by many as rather disgusting and disrespectful.

The ancient Romans and Egyptians(?) was equally horrified with each other.
The Romans: "Gaah! Those uncivilized Egyptians eat their dead! How horrible! "
The Egyptians: " Gaaah! Those uncivilized Romans burn their dead, as if they were garbage! How horrible!"
I have just raed the story that Vee indicated. It was wonderful, I know I'm a bit soppy but I had a tear in my eye.
Very Sad Smilie
This is definitely worth reading again. I'll recommend it Thumbs Up Smilie

Thanks Vee

Quote:
I had a tear in my eye.

Only one?! Shocked Smilie Are you made of stone or what? Wink Smilie
what book are y'all talking about? it sounds interesting? anywayz, i have a question.
What was Mordor like before Sauron came?
In Vee's post above, there is a link to a story written by one of our members, Chathol-linn. It is well worth the read.

Mordor before Sauron. That's an interesting one. Sauron created the Dragonsteeth Mountains, so they were not there before. I think Mount Doom was already there, though, so the plains of Gorgoroth may have been volcanic ash irrespective of whether Sauron turned up or not. I'll have to have a look through HOME to find out more.
Thank you for reading and commenting on my story. It means a lot to me that you liked it. Regards - Chathol-linn
Quote:
Sauron created the Dragonsteeth Mountains

What are the Dragonsteeth Mountains? Isn't that from the Wheel of Time series.

Mordor was bordered by the Ered Lithui and Ephel Duath mountain ranges, and therefor chosen by Sauron as his dwelling place. The only thing Sauron built, was Barad-DŻr. He wasn't Melkor who could build entire mountains ranges and lands - like the Misty Mountains.

Furthermore, what has Mordor to do with Legolas & Gimli?
Quote:
Unromantic? Depends on culture..

In Nepal, Tibet or somewhere arond there, people bring their dead loved ones up on a mountain peak to be devoured by the birds. They even cut them up a bit to help with the process. The birds are seen as the link between heaven and earth, and in return for the flesh the birds bring the spirit of the dead to the God(s). (Disclaimer: IANAA)

Our traditions of putting our dead in a hole in the dirt is seen by many as rather disgusting and disrespectful.

Yeah well, methinks Tolkien would've thought leaving people to rot, or eating them would've been just EW!!!! It's unromantic, it IS!!! According to WEstern culture. Which is Tolkien's. So it's unromantic. ADMIT IT!!!
Dying is never romantic, safe perhaps for necrophiles.
Tolkien said in The Silmarillion that Elven bodies disintegrated very quickly if they were slain. Feanor turned to ashes on the spot, so firece was his spirit. Maybe Arwen was granted a last Elven grace, evern though she chose mortality. Maybe after she drew her last breath, her body melted away at once, and therefore she had a "green grave." Poor Arwen. I always thought she was right up there with Ophelia and Juliet. A Shakespearean tragic heroine, or better.
Arwen could have had a totally different ending, though, instead of the melodramatic way she chose : she could still stay in Minas Tirith after the death of her husband, among her people and her family, instead of doing the desperate sorrowful black widow trick.

I never liked that ending. It seems so self-absorbed to me. It's not like everything she had in her life was Aragorn, was it ? There were still things left for her, things to liv for (pun intended).
Quote:
What are the Dragonsteeth Mountains? Isn't that from the Wheel of Time series.

Mordor was bordered by the Ered Lithui and Ephel Duath mountain ranges, and therefor chosen by Sauron as his dwelling place. The only thing Sauron built, was Barad-DŻr. He wasn't Melkor who could build entire mountains ranges and lands - like the Misty Mountains.

That's strange. You are correct Vir, but ever since first reading LotR I have been under the impression that together the Ered Lithui and Ephel Duath were collectively known as the Dragonsteeth Mountains, and that they were raised by Sauron. Don't know where I got that impression from, but it's one that has stuck with me until now. Maybe a legacy of my Roleplaying days.

Strange how our minds work.... I must be going senile.
Quote:
I never liked that ending. It seems so self-absorbed to me. It's not like everything she had in her life was Aragorn, was it ? There were still things left for her, things to liv for (pun intended).
I can't help but agree. "Farewell my children, I will now leave you and die I won't give you a grave to mourn by beacuse all that matters is me and my grief." Or maybe she was the senile one. An old, confused lady who ran away to Lothlorien to see her husband. And her kids just made up a nice story to hide the truth from the tabloids. Wink Smilie

YEAH... but it was still sad and everyone cried.

Quote:
Dying is never romantic, safe perhaps for necrophiles.

Yeah it is.... in movies and stories and all that. Maybe not in real life. But you know, when someone lays down his life for his friends, everyone's like "AAAAw.... that's SAD" and it's good in a story. Cause everyone's like "aw." But if it really happens, it's bad, but it's still "aw." And I"m just rambling. Must be my Meningococcal B vaccination I had yesterday.
Quote:
YEAH... but it was still sad and everyone cried.

I didn't.
THAT'S because it wasn't all written up sad. Tolkien should've written it up sad. And it hasn't been made into a really really really sad movie. If it was you would cry. Or are you one of those sensible normal people who don't cry in movies? I used to never cry in movies. But now I do. I make myself cry. A sad movie is wasted if I don't cry.

(I'd like to emphasise that I'm speaking from a completely unserious view, and that in real life death is seldom romantic. I'm just speaking from an unfeeling, "only function of stories is entertainment" point of view which is seldom right either).
Quote:
Only one?! Are you made of stone or what?

Well actually I couldn't stop crying Very Sad Smilie my hubby was wondering what was up. I couldn't stop reading. It was beautiful. I left a review for the author. I always leave feedback if I like something (I have even sent 'Thank you' e-mails to companies if they have given good service - it's nice to say thanks, (soppy - that's me).

If anyone else has read good stories - I'd like to know.

ps Amarie I loved your website, I left you feedback a while ago.
pps Were the children of Aragon and Arwen imortal, did they have long life or what. Elf Confused Smilie

I know it's in the wrong thread but it sort of follows on.

Please move to the correct thread if needed Moderator Smilie ??
The Children of Aragorn and Arwen would be mortal because their parents had accepted the Gift of Man. There appears to only have been choice in the matter when the gift had been refused by a parent. Elrond and Elros were both given the choice, and so were Arwen, Elrohir and Elladan even though their father had turned down the Gift for himself. Had Arwen refused the Gift herself, and remained immortal, I imagine the children would have had the choice themselves.

It must be remembered that mortality and the ability to leave the confines of Ea is a Gift not a curse. Where both parents are mortal, there is no need of choice in the Children... they automatically have the right to the Gift. Where one (or both) parent has chosen to be Immortal, however, the Children cannot be denied their right to the Gift if they so choose to take it, so they are given a choice.