Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Thorondor

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > Thorondor   
I have often thought about Thorondor and I wondered, how many times does he come into the books? I thought that he was Gwaihir's and Landroval's father, right? Is he really the King of the Eagles? Basically I would really like to learn more about him. Wink Smilie
Thorondor only appears in the Silmarillion, but is listed as Gwaihir's and Landroval's father. If you want to learn more about the Lord of Eagles, i suggest reading through the Silmarillion.

It was Thorondor who picked up Maedhros and Fingon from Thangorodrim, and also saved Fingolfin's dead body from being fed to Morgoth's wolves.
I think I've read something on the Net about him probably being a Maiar. Makes sense, though.
Yes, the great eagles were Maiar. Manwe summoned them to take bird form at the same time as Yavanna summoned others to take tree-form and become ents. Once they took on flesh, they kind of became bound to the earth, losing some of their spirit powers, but they were then able to procreate. Melian also did this when she took form to marry Thingol.
So the Ents were Maiar too? I never knew that... Dunce Smilie
I didn't know either were Maiar!
From Of Aule and Yavanna - The Silmarillion

Quote:
"When the Children awake, then the thought of Yavanna will awake also, and it will summon spirits from afar, and they will go among the kelvar and the olvar, and some will dwell therein, and be held in reverence, and their just anger shall be feared. For a time: while the Firstborn are in their power, and while the Secondborn are young." But dost thou not now remember Kementari, that thy thought sang not always alone? Did not thy thought and mine meet also, so that we took wing together like great birds that soar above the clouds? That also shall come to be by the heed of Iluvatar, and before the Children awake there shall go forth with wings like the wind the Eagles of the Lords of the West.'

........ ..........

"In the mountains the Eagles shall house, and hear the voices of those who call upon us. But in the forests shall walk the Shepherds of the Trees."

This section follows from Yavanna's concerns that Aule's dwarves will be permitted to harm her trees. Although it does not specifically mention Maiar by name, it does say "will summon spirits from afar". At this time, however, only Valar and Maiar occupied Ea, so the spirits must be Maiar. Morgoth's werewolves and vampires were also maiar, and in my opinion so were the early dragons. Also, in Morgoth's Ring, Tolkien attempts to explain the origin of orcs, and one of his explainations is that some of the early orcs were also Maiar.
Well of course the Eagles are Maiar. Gigantic Eagles which are able to speak and drag wizards around the half of Middle-Earth, aren't just animals.

The same argument can be used for talking trees. Broo-ra-room.
WOW, and I've always thought the only Maia on Middle-Earth was Melian. So most of the bad guys are Maiar, too? Gosh and so many of them were killed!
The Eagles show us that Maiar are able to reproduce. Landroval and Gwaihir were Thorondor's sons, for instance.

Dragons were probably also able to reproduce, as during the War of Wrath there were quite a few of them flying dragons (Ancalagon probably had a lovely time during the centuries).

To generalize, every Ainu who'd take the form of one of the Eruhíni, or an animal form, would be able to produce offspring : Melian is the definite example here, although Gothmog is mentioned as Morgoth's son in HOME as well.
It's that question of Valar reproduction again. Why did Tolkien abandon the idea of the Valar having children in the end, anyways? It seems wierd that he makes them married, but doesn't let them have children.
Quote:
Why did Tolkien abandon the idea of the Valar having children in the end, anyways?
How about—I'm just thinking off the top of my head here—how about: Because in the 8-10 milleniums or so that Tolkien permited the Valar to live on Arda and its environs, he didn't want their population to outgrow the available landmass. Like they were subjected to no natural predetors other than their siblings. All those offspring would have wanted homes of their own and would have crossed the Sundering Seas, and being more powerfull the Iluvatar's children, would have crowded them out.

That could be one reason they weren't allowed to reproduce, just as why the Elves were limited to only a reletively limited child rearing years, so their offspring wouldn't crowd out those of Men.
Quote:
It seems wierd that he makes them married, but doesn't let them have children.

Oh, but they did have children. The Children of Illúvatar were their children, albeit not in the physical sense.

And the Dwarves were Aulë's children. Orcs, Dragons, Balrogs, Trolls, Wargs and what not, were Melkor's children.