Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Aragorn's Grandfather

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > Aragorn's Grandfather   
Greetings, I was in a trivia contest on Middle Earth in a 3D chat room that I am a member of...and one of the questions was...What was Aragorn's Grandfather's Name? Can anyone help? All of my LOTR books are still packed up from a move....so I would be thankfull for any help you can give.

May Varda's Stars Light Your Path
Hi Varda, Aragorn's grandfather is Arador. According to The Encyclopedia of Arda, he was slain by trolls. Hope that helps!
While Arador was Aragorn's paternal grandfather, Dirhael was his maternal grandfather. I didn't know until today when I looked in The Thain's Book. Read Smilie
It's mentioned in the LOTR Appendices, though : he was the one who opposed to the marriage of Gilraen and Arathorn, as he felt Arathorn wouldn't live long - but his wife Ivorwin convinced him.

As always, JRRT delivers the answer.

I didn't know until today that Idril was named Celebrindal (Silverfoot) because she always walked bare-foot... crossing the Helcaraxë must've been quite cold then... respect to the she-elf !
Quote:
I didn't know until today that Idril was named Celebrindal (Silverfoot) because she always walked bare-foot... crossing the Helcaraxë must've been quite cold then... respect to the she-elf !

And there's me thinking frostbite is black.
Quote:
And there's me thinking frostbite is black.
Yes, but when the ice crystals are gathered on the barefeet before they turn black, mightn't they appear silver?
Anyway, back to topic....

Quote:
It's mentioned in the LOTR Appendices, though : he was the one who opposed to the marriage of Gilraen and Arathorn, as he felt Arathorn wouldn't live long - but his wife Ivorwin convinced him.

Obviously it was lucky for Aragorn, and the whole of Middle Earth, that Ivorwin did convince Dirhael to allow Gilraen to marry Arathorn. It begs the question, had this marriage not taken place, would the son of Arathorn and whoever he did marry have the strength of character that Aragorn had, or was Aragorn "special"? Was Aragorn the product of the very best the Dunedain had to offer?

The reason I ask this is because Dirhael himself was a descendant of Aranarth, the first Chieftain.
Well, it was predestined that someday someone would pop up to pick up the Elessar, who'd either be victorious vs evil or would perish in flames - and, who would have the opportunity to join the half-elven lines together.

I think Aragorn, just like Isildur, Túrin, Beren (for instance, Beren was able to pass the Gerdle of Melian), etc was one of those 'key figures' in the history of Arda, whose coming was set by Eru.

However, i think their actions were not prearranged by Eru, as that wasn't part of the whole test/ordeal.

PS : in my earlier post i made a typo : it's Ivorwen, not Ivorwin.