Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Orc and Uruk-hai Names

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > Orc and Uruk-hai Names   
Everyone remembers the names Uglķk, GrishnŠkh, Gorbag, and Shagrat; but what other names did Tolkien give his named Orc and Uruk-hai characters?

In Rohan there was Lugdush and in the Tower of Citith Ungol There was Radbug and Snaga, though the latter was probably not a name, but a demeaning epithet, a Snaga was also found in Rohan. In the valley between the Ephel Dķath and the Morgai there were an tracker and soldier, but I think they remained unnamed.

Can we come up with anymore? Orc Grinning Smilie
Now that i think about it, the orcs and urukai do not have any many individual people named in the books, but i can think of a couple;

There was Bolg, he led one of the five armies in 'The Battle of The Five Armies', he was the heir of Azog,

There was also Golfimbul, he invaded The Shire and confronted Bandobras 'Bullroarer' Took where he was slain.

One was called Lagduf, he was shot as he tried to escape with another orc, as there was a battle between some other orcs

That's all i can remember Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
Ufthak was the Orc in Shelob's pantry.
Was there a Glaurung whom lead the the orcs to victory in Angband?
No, Glaurung was the father of dragons.

PJ invented 2 Orcs : Lķrtz & Slothmog.
Ok Vir Smile Smilie thanks for explaining it to me..I need to read some more !! But Im still learning a lot from you guys!!
The triplet Lķrtz had two wombmates: Lurch and 'The Larch'. Orc Grinning Smilie
are we stating names from the books or can we make a few up? Wink Smilie
There was a Gothmog, 2nd in command of the attack on Minas Tirith. There was also a Mauhur, who attacked Eomer and his horsemen from Fangorn.
We should be coming up with only Tolkien named Orcs and Uruk-hai in this thread. However if you want to add your own made-up names, feel free to do so as long as you make it clear that they are undocumented fabrications. Happy Elf Smilie
ooh i will state that they are made up veryyyy clearly.
urukfluff the orc witht the pink slippers.
Smile Smilie

er... made up.
Scroil
scroll
scroilet
Groll.
im done now. Big Smile Smilie
I read that JRR stated that when Golffimble ( o however its spelt) was killed by a club wound and his head flwe throuhg the air and landed in a rabbit hole , and thats how the game golf was invented. Wink Smilie
That Goblin King's name in The Hobbit was Golfimbul, of which golf was named after, and this bit was related by Gandalf to Thorin to prove hobbits had courage after his nominated burglar had fainted.

Check this game called Lord of the Rings online they made up LOADS of orc and uruk names Big Smile Smilie

is taz an urukhai name

by the way who is Taz,he seems so aloof.He sends me Mithril if i send a unique post!