Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Eagles

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > The Eagles   
Well it looks like I'm the only "fool" to whom the Eagles represent somethin great , and after all they were thought of in the song of the Valar long before the Elves avoke......

Behold! When the Children awake, then the thought of Yavanna will awake also, and it will summon spirits from afar, and they will go among the kelvar and the olvar, and some will dwell therein, and be held in reverence, and their just anger shall be feared.

" But dost them not now remember, Kementári, that thy thought sang not always alone? Did not thy thought and mine meet also, so that we took wing together like great birds that soar above the clouds? That also shall come to be by the heed of Ilúvatar, and before the Children awake there shall go forth with wings like the wind the Eagles of the Lords of the West.'

It is very strange that I am an eagle don''t u think.....
Grondy doesn't think wanting to be an Eagle, especially a Great Eagle is weird, he thinks it is a high aspiration and would love have the freedom to soar with the clouds. Thumbs Up Smilie

(Grondy also cleaned up only the word-wrap in the above thread's text, which came from 'Of Aulë and Yavanna' in The Silmarillion.)
Hey! Careful who you're callin' a fool! Elf With a Big Grin Smilie Me and Amarie are Eagles, too!
Yes yes, we all know your a fool Laurel Orc Smiling Smilie

We do have a few Eagles but they seldom show themselves, just as Gwaihir and Landroval only turn up when Gandalf can't be bothered to walk Elf With a Big Grin Smilie
We like to observe from afar. Wink Smilie
Im also an Eagle but I'm most of all MELLONSmile Smilie
I'm not sure what variety of mellon Mellon is: she may be a Honey-do, a Can-elope, or a teary Waa-mellom, but I don't think she is a Musk-mellon because I hear she smells nice. Elf Winking Smilie
Hold on, is the fruit spelled "melon" or "mellon"? I hope it's 'melon' otherwise I have been making jokes about Gandalf at the Gate of Khazad-Dûm for nothing.

And while we're at it, is spelled spelled "spelled" or "spelt", or is spelt spelt "spelled" or "spelt"?
i never knew you were in mcq vir! Wink Smilie
I are an enganear and we all no they can't spel.
And their grammar is absolute rubbish, too! If I ever grow up to be an English teacher, I would dig up this thread and show it to all my students for a good old laugh, just to tell them they aren't alone in this world.
if you do this you're lose all your students 'cause thy're prefer this site to their old boring teacher... Wink Smilie
Well since English is not my mother tongue, I believe I am excused.
me too. in my country we have two official languages; english and le francais mais il penses aussi ajoute un autre! but my french is way worst than my that english!
The eagles are wondrous beautiful and noble and strong. They are not though what I would call social butterflies, schooled in the art of delicate conversation and manners.
I love when Gandalf escapes from Isengarde on the back of the eagle and the eagle informs him it isn't his responsibility to take him all over the place. Just so matter of fact, no nonsense. Get the job done and now just buzz off and let me be.
I love it.
Quote:
I love when Gandalf escapes from Isengarde on the back of the eagle and the eagle informs him it isn't his responsibility to take him all over the place. Just so matter of fact, no nonsense. Get the job done and now just buzz off and let me be.

One must not forget that Gandalf and the Great Eagles were of the same order, and had the same Master : Manwë Súlimo - though Olórin had learnt of many Valar when he lived in Valinor, he had been sent to Middle-earth by Manwë and Varda themselves (which is the prime reason why Curumo/Saruman was envious of him).

And I take it that since Gandalf belonged to the Istari and served as a Guide for the Free Peoples of Middle-earth, whilst the Eagles' primary function was to serve as Messengers for Manwë, the Eagles more than anything did not want to interfere with the work of the Istari, so to speak, safe of course in emergencies.

This 'emergency help', in fact, might have been by order of Manwë... for the same, Gwaihir could have just ignored Gandalf on the peak of Orthanc when he was flying over it - but he did not.

Gwaihir carrying off Gandalf from the peak of Zirakzigil to Lóthlorien was almost certainly also on Manwë's bidding. Gandalf's 'rebirth' was after all a climactic event, and it is absolutely impossible that the Valar would not have known this. Manwë realized that the One had sent Olórin back in a new form (see also : Gandalf's rebirth) , directly interfering in Arda, hence it was, needless to say, of primordial importance that Olórin needed help during his 'first steps' in Middle-earth.

The Great Eagles appearing to counter the flying Nazgûl during the Battle before the Morannon (and safe our two intrepid Hobbits from a lava bath) near the end of ROTK, might have been on Manwë's bidding too...
Unless the Eagles were moonlighting as mini-cabs. No doubt Gandalf and Frodo had their numbers in their mobile phones.

I wonder what sort of mini-cab service the Orcs offered?

"Take me to Mount Doom."

"OK, guv, but I just gotta make a quick detour to the Dark Tower where I left my sandwiches...."
Perhaps the main reason why Gwaihir would have helped Gandalf at this time was becuase he saved him many years previous from an Arrow wound. Forgive me if this has already been said.
vir you were wondering how to spell a fruit and it is melon
Quote:
vir you were wondering how to spell a fruit and it is melon

NoBig Laugh SmilieArath Smile Smilie He makes his daily joke of me ...I think everyone know that melon is a fruitSmile Smilie
Really? Wink Smilie
Quote:
Mellon
NoArath He makes his daily joke of me ...I think everyone know that melon is a fruit

That is why you should have named yourself Tomato! So then we could all sit down and have a nice lengthy debate about what category you'd fit into.
Tomatoes are a fruit.
The arrow Gandalf plucked from Gwaihir was the given reason he was saved from the burning trees along with a dozen Dwarves and one Burrhobbit in Tolkien's great children tale. But the real reason is as Virumor has stated above; though the two are not incompatable. Anyway that saving from the burning tree episode is another instance of devine intervention when it seemed Gandalf's quest was about to expire, this time in a towering inferno. Jumping Flame Smilie

The tomato is a vegetable. Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie
I found t his in science bob:

To really figure out if a tomato is a fruit or vegetable, you need to know what makes a fruit a fruit, and a vegetable a vegetable. The big question to ask is, DOES IT HAVE SEEDS?

If the answer is yes, then technically, you have a FRUIT. This, of course, makes your tomato a fruit. It also makes cucumbers, squash, green beans and walnuts all fruits as well. VEGETABLES such as, radishes, celery, carrots, and lettuce do NOT have seeds (that are part of what we eat) and so they are grouped as vegetables.

so, either the tomatoe is indeed a fruit or bob is a rotten liar Smile Smilie

I realize the connection between eagle and Olerin but I was merely talking about the eagles' personality. A no nonsense guy, well bird. Gandalf did have a sense of humour which I never saw in the eagles. oh well..........
I just had to mention the fact that in our province right now between Brackendale and Squamish, all along the river you can view hundreds, yes hundreds of bald eagles, it is unbelievable. There they are ,fifty at a time at the water's edge dining on the carcasses of salmon. Then if you go further down you will see literally hundreds of t hem just sitting in the now barren trees.
It is truly spectacular. Cool Smilie
I'm curious, Leelee, what exactly are 'bald eagles'? Condors or vultures?

Or are they reminiscent to the carrion-mount of the Dwimmerlaik who was so bravely slain by Éowyn?
Bald eagles are North American eagles (raptors) with white feathered heads and they are sea or fish eagles and dine mostly on dead or dying salmon. Condors are huge vultures, and like most vultures have featherless heads; they are true scavengers.
I live on water front property and there are always bald eagles comming and going dining on ocean snacks.
how enchanting Turin. We have one only eagle that has her nest each year at the top of the ridge against our condo. It is the most breathtaking sight when, under a full moon and star encrusted night sky she glides round and round and then swoops back to her nest. glorious.

bald eagle

Bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus). (credit: Alexander Sprunt, IV)Species of sea eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) that occurs inland along rivers and large lakes. Strikingly handsome, it is the only eagle native solely to North America, and it has been the U.S. national bird since 1782. The adult, about 40 in. (1 m) long with a wingspan of 6.5 ft (2 m), is dark brown with white head and tail and yellow beak, eyes, and feet. Bald eagles snatch fish at the water surface, rob osprey of fish, and eat carrion. They nest in lone trees, often on river islands. Though still protected in the U.S., the bald eagle is no longer considered an endangered species.