Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Most interesting?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > Most interesting?   
Who do you find most interesting? Why?

I myself think that the most interesting character is gimli as well as all of the dwarfs.
They interest me because i dont know much about them and would like to know more.
The elves are all fascinating to me, they seem so familiar to me, yet so alien, so ethereal, just so damn lovely haha
Big Smile Smilie
Yes the elves are interesting but i have started to lose my interest towards them because i have studied the elves alot. But dwarfs they are interesting. very interesting.
Does tolkien tell more about them in any of his writings?
Well to me the elves are like fresh air that I cannot do without.
But the dwarves, they are a strange lot to me. First they are not even created by Illuvatar, so they started out diminished from whatever they originally were supposed to be. It is my opinion, that but for Aule there would be no such living beings. It is true Illuvatar, in his mercy and forgiveness allowed them to live and imbued to them characters and natures separate from the created being that created them. But to me they are always going to be the saddest of creatures. Always living in a dark place, sort of like a womb, dark and primeval, not brought forth into the light and normalcy as the other created beings, the firstborn Elves and then the race of Men.
They live in such a way to give me the impression they can dimly see the beauty of all creation but cannot come forth to partake and so they build replicas of the sun and moon and stars, of trees and other beautiful things as ones seeing them through the tissue of the womb, always surrounded by dark no matter how much light they pour into their works.
They are stunted in stature because the one that made them had not the power or mind to do other than make a poor imitation.
So I shall always have pain in my heart for them. They just seem so sad.
ohh LeeLee you are soooo melodramatic!

Dwarves are stunty little levain with no respect for nature, and they somehow find that horrible geometric design, that they fill all there dark and dank halls with, visually pleasing

dôl lhost nogothrim

Big Smile Smilie

xx
No discrimination of one of the Free Peoples of Middle-earth, or any people for that matter, please.

Every single race attributed to the richness of Middle-earth and played their part, either for better or worse.
hey Vir im not descriminating, if thars what they wanna do then sure, thats fine, was just voicing my views Big Smile Smilie
We Dwarves would rather not have to walk on the surface surrounded by all that green stuff and all that aromatic air that is filled with those yucky flowery smells which cause our large noses to become congested. Give us the underground with the aromas of the many kinds or rock dust, ancient molds, rancid grease, and stale body odors. Na-na-na-na-na Smilie
Ahh, we now find out the reason for why there were never any female dwarves! Very Big Grin Smilie

hehe :P
its nice to see someone has a sense or humour Grondmaster

maybe Vir left his deep in Dwarrow-delf??

:P
Quote:
Ahh, we now find out the reason for why there were never any female dwarves!

Actually, that's a common misgiving. All Dwarves were in fact, female.
Oh that is too rich and hilarious. Well then, some quick thinking Hobbit should have set up shop in Bree selling very strong hair removal creames for those very obviously Dwarf Damsels in great distress !!!!
Oh Vir, you are sweet.
Stoney? Is that you?
No, it's me.
o.O oh dear...
I would like to learn more about the culture of the Eagles. Not much is said about them so far as I've found, and though they have the potential to be the most stereotypic and shallow culture in all of ME, I'd like to know more of what Tolkien wanted them to be...
There really does seem to be very little written about the eagles and I'd hate for them to be just a deus ex machina (sp?) sort of creature when all the other races are so interesting.

Its hard for me to decide who I think is the most interesting; I really like the way the characters develop throughout the events that they go through: Legolas and Gimli become friends, Aragorn overcomes his personal fears and accepts his kingship, Faramir endures being in his brother's shadow.. I like it all.
Dwarves are wonderful creatures, I would like to know more about them. How I wish our many tunnells here were made by the dwarves... it would have been wonderful, I know it. *dreams*
I hadn't given much thought to it before reading the other posts, but I would actually like to know more about the eagles - they would seem to be on the same level as dragons or balrogs but obviously good instead of evil.

I used to love the elves more before I read about the kinslaying in Silmarillion - that was sooo tragic - but I still love them, especially those that were not responsible. Though there doen't seem to be too much more that we could learn about the elves since Tolkien gave us so much already.
Dwarves are my favourite race becuase of the way they were created (i always consider them the eldest race because they moved even before the elves) and there great difference from the other races.

I knew that elves didn't like dwarfs but i didn't know theyy could be as bad as Turion.

All Dwarves were in fact, female.
Quote:

and thanks for the compliment vir.
So Angry Smilie So Angry Smilie So Angry Smilie So Angry Smilie
There is no need to anger yourself.

After all, the world would be better off if everybody was female. Everybody would be so concerned with trying to decide what to wear each day and what to do with one's hair, that there would be no more time left to start and fight wars.

Elk Grinning Smilie
hah all the wars would be multiplied by ten because of gossips, lack of cosmetics and clothes to satisfy the women, hypocrisy, etc... so i think we are better off now
Elk Grinning Smilie

(and vir all the anger i show here are just for fun. no grudge held agains you)
Why does it have to be either only men or only women? It's such a rediculus discussion. It's ballance the world needs. And I am also quite sure that topic/discussion/fight falls under the category "politics", so we'll just stop now and get back to the real topic while we are all still smiling, won't we? Happy Elf Smilie
Feminine attitude...but okay we'll stop. Elk Grinning Smilie
Yes, so I see! Wink Smilie

Oh well.. yes, the eagles. I haven't given them too much thought, I have simply imagined them doing regular eagles things like hunting and such while keeping an eye on things.

I'd like to know more about the origin of dragons. And orcs. But a few mysteries makes things more interesting. Smile Smilie
haha is all in good jest Thorin Wink Smilie

*nudges thorin with elbow*

*Turion realises he is nudging thin air, so stoops down and nudges again*

as i said all in good jest Big Smile Smilie
I'm glad the dwarves are along for the ride but the elves interest me the most. They have the most advanced culture of medicine, food (though hobbits might give them a run for their money) , literature, woodcraft, metallurgy, song, manual arts, and probably other talents which I won't discuss here. This is not to mention being able to dwell in two planes of existence at the same time. However, if I were to dwell in ME, I would hang out with Men. I suspect that the immortal Elves would treat one like a short lived pet despite their polite manners.
Quote:
They have the most advanced culture of medicine, food (though hobbits might give them a run for their money) , literature, woodcraft, metallurgy

ha ha ha you're wrong my friend at leat concerning metallurgy. Here's why:
Quote:
Their smithcraft indeed the Sindar soon learned of them; yet in the tempering of steel alone of all crafts the Dwarves were never outmatched even by the Noldor, and in the making of mail of linked rings, which was first contrieved by the smiths of Belegost, their work had no rival.

you see my friend Dwarfs rule Dunce Smilie

And if the elven kings of beleriand had asked us to make their armour for the wars instead of making their own, to resolve unemployment as they said, you wouldn't have been beaten so soundly... Elk Grinning Smilie
Quote:
And if the elven kings of beleriand had asked us to make their armour for the wars instead of making their own, to resolve unemployment as they said, you wouldn't have been beaten so soundly...

They would've been beaten even more thoroughly. The Elven pansies wouldn't even been able to move in Dwarven-made armour.
Quote:
They would've been beaten even more thoroughly. The Elven pansies wouldn't even been able to move in Dwarven-made armour.

Ha, they're such a weak race...Dunce Smilie
haha we wouldnt lower ourselves to wearing ugly dwarven armour!

fashion ove ergonomics everytime!

Big Smile Smilie xx
'Can't we all just get along?'
the world would be so boring if we a got along grondy!! lighten up, is all in jest as im sure Thorin understands

Big Smile Smilie
Quite right Thorin, I had forgotten that bit of history but, I never knew of a dwarvish blade to glow blue in the presence of evil! Big Laugh Smilie
Quote:
I never knew of a dwarvish blade to glow blue in the presence of evil!

Truth be said, they use axes... Elf Sticking Tounge Out Smilie

Besides, it's better not to draw much attention to oneself with flashy blades. Look where it got Darth Maul and General Grievous.
Quote:
Besides, it's better not to draw much attention to oneself with flashy blades. Look where it got Darth Maul and General Grievous.

For once he said something sensible.Big Laugh Smilie

Well i do not see the meaning of carryind sorwds whixh turn blue when evil is near if you can't wield it like our elvenses friends so often show us...Elk Grinning Smilie
And here I thought the blue glow was good for giving plenty of time to decide to run! Paranoid Smilie