Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Aerin

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > Aerin   
I was just rereading Chidren of Hurin and I wonder what happened to Aerin in the end? When it says she burned the house of Brodda, does it imply that she was burned along with it? Or perhaps, when she said that Turin's rashness had brought death upon her it was Tolkien's way of telling us that she did perish?

And besides, what of the people of Dor-lomin that rebelled against Brodda at the sight of Turin? It is said that they hid in the mountains, waiting for Turin to come back and save them, but Turin never went back, for he died in Brethil, so what happened to the people of Dor-lomin?

And how exactly was Aerin related to Hurin? She is said to be Indor's daughter, but who is Indor?
If she's really related to Húrin, Indor might've been a brother of Galdor.

Tolkien would've surely mentioned it if they were siblings.
Aerin was changed from a 'kinswoman of Morwen' (early Quenta, Quenta Silmarillion and Grey Annals) to one 'of Húrin'. She was 'white-haired' and Túrin called her 'aunt' in the tale.

Though I guess that much is already known Smile Smilie
This is similar to the matter of Celeborn being called a "close kinsman" of Thingol, which is then explained away by making him the grandson of Elmo (the cute Muppet).
Yeah, I know turin called her "aunt" but that was still kinda vague, because virtually any female relative that is one generation above you could be called "aunt". Maybe she was just something Tolkien despaired. I mean, family trees can make a man want to tear out his beard...
Quote:
Indor might've been a brother of Galdor

I don't think this is the case, as Galdor's only siblings were Gundor and Glóredhel. I don't believe Indor's relation to Hurin is ever mentioned.
Quote:
I don't think this is the case, as Galdor's only siblings were Gundor and Glóredhel.

According to what?

Tolkien juggled with family ties quite a lot.
These are the names according to the table 'The Folk of Marach' at least (reproduced in The Later Quenta Silmarillion section of War of the Jewels), and the genealogical table in the constructed Silmarillion.

With respect to textual references outside tables: 'The sons of Hador were Galdor and Gundor; and the sons of Galdor...' (Later Quenta Silmarillion). If these were the only sons then 'Indor' would have to be female to be another sibling of Galdor, which would not fit very well given other considerations.

Certainly Tolkien was not against revision in general, but in any case this is in response to the 'according to what' part.
The fact that she is not mentioned does not need to be much of a burden; notice how Tolkien hardly ever mentions females in the Houses of the Atani if they're not of primary importance to his tales.
Indor is explained as a Man of Dor-Lómin, father of Aerin, in The Children of Húrin at least.

Just to note it, the name had been used much earlier (starting in The Book of Lost Tales) for the 'father of Tuor's father', and was said to be perhaps the word indor 'master (of house) lord' used as a proper name (the words indo 'house' and Gnomish ind, indos 'house, hall' are noted in this very early context).