Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Rings of Power?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > The Rings of Power?   
I posted this question in another section, but I'm posting it here too because the other section didn't seem to be very popular lol, but if this against the rules let me know and I'll delete this thread.

My question is: who created the rings of power? It is suggested that at least the dwarven rings were not created by Sauron, only tainted by him. And the elven rings were created by Celebrimbor, and were not tainted by Sauron, which is why he couldn't control them with the One Ring, right? Why didn't the seven dwarf lords become like the Nazgul? Who created the seven rings and the nine rings? Were they created because the men and dwarves were jealous of the Elves' three?
The Elven-smiths of Eregion began making the Rings of Power, see Appendix B c. 1500 for example. The Dwarves of Durin's folk said that the first of the Seven to be forged was given to Durin III by the Elvensmiths themselves, not by Sauron...

... but Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age relates, concerning Sauron (who came with war to Eregion): 'Seven rings he gave to the Dwarves; but to Men he gave nine,...'

I tend to believe this a bit more than the Dwarvish version Smile Smilie

Another account reveals only that Celebrimbor, under torment, revealed where the Seven were bestowed. This detail is from a roughly composed outline, not published by Tolkien himself -- though JRRT himself did not publish Of The Rings Of Power as well, and plenty of other texts now in print, in any case.
Hi there Galin!! Nice to meet you in another of Tolkien Forums!

And Vek555, the Dwarves were created by Aule, such that they were stubborn in friendship and enimity. They ill endure the dominion of others. That is why they could not be bent to the power of the Will of Sauron.