Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: The Phial of Galadriel

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > The Phial of Galadriel   
Whatever became of the Phial of Galadriel, the glass with the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star? I seem to remember it last mentioned in the glades of Cornmallen, and then what? Would Frodo have kept it forever and taken it Over Sea? Would he have made it a wonderful gift to someone? To who? Arwen? A nice night-light for Eldarion? The House of Wonders in Minas Tirith? Who can tell? Happy holidays, brothers and sisters...
Hello Dear Marghana. I thought he left it with Sam along with his other possessions. I could be wrong. Perhaps Frodo did indeed take it West. Perhaps it's light would grow stronger and stronger as the Silmaril did on Earendil's brow, leading Vingilot to the Blessed Shores so long ago. What a lovely thought.

In my opinion the perfect ending for this gift would be if Frodo would take it with him over the Sea. It's an item strongly related to Galadriel and her power, and as a gift it had it's part on Frodo's journey, and therefore on crucial Third Age events. I think it should be with Frodo. Since last chapter of both Frodo's and Galadriel's stories is on the West it makes perfect sense that the phial is also there.

Agreed Indis. After all, the light it holds has its origin in the West. Perhaps it would have been a wonderful gift for Varda. The light of Earendil's star captured in Elvish glass. Having Travelled across the Eastern lands to the benefit of the little folk who destroyed the darkness by his selfless act.

He did indeed take it with him: "...and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost."

He did indeed take it with him: "...and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost."

That is actually a sad quote. Is it implied that it shone for a last time and then never again or what does this "lost" mean? Maybe I read it wrong. Or did it drop in the ocean and was lost?

Imbartman, I'm stunned at your perception!  You are totally a deep Tolkien reader, and I rejoice that there are such among us...  

My own choice, having missed what you pointed out, was that it would be left for Arwen's and Aragorn's descendants as a living memory of their great lineage, but you really have it tied down and on display.

Would you care to try my other pending questions:  What became of the twins Elrohir and Elladan?  And who was the blue-brooch lady befriended by Goldberry and Tom Bombadil?

Thanks again, and Namarië.

Ahh Marghana. Don't doubt your own knowledge! Such a poetic soul.

Hi Marghana,

To the first I can say that Elrohir and Elladan remained in Rivendell after Elrond took ship for the West. It is not recorded what their ultimate fate was: did they follow Elrond to the West, as they would have been allowed, or did they do as their sister Arwen and choose to stay in Middle-earth?

As to the "blue-brooch lady", I do not recall and have not found where she is mentioned. If you would tell me where in the LOTR she appears I may be able to help.

A final thought on the Phial of Galadrial. I have never interpreted that line to mean anything but that it was "lost" to sight by those on shore. I have no doubt Frodo had it when he reached the Western shore.

A final thought on the Phial of Galadrial. I have never interpreted that line to mean anything but that it was "lost" to sight by those on shore.

I agree Imbartman (maybe a reference to the Simpsons I'm guessing). And seeing your quote from the books is like music to my eyes!