Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Frodo too skinny?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > Frodo too skinny?   
What do you guys think, is Frodo to skinny to be called a Hobbit? I think he's too skinny to be a Hobbit. Big Laugh Smilie

Welcome to the site, FunnyHobbit.

Frodo was partially Fallowhide. These tended to be taller and slimmer than the Harfoot and Stoor strains, so explains Frodo's appearance.

We see him on the day that he jumps into Gandalf"s arms, at the start of TFOTR so he looks to me to be the same as he did over 12 years ago, which in itself is amazing....

In my Imagination , not only is he 2 skinny but also the wrong shape. on being read the Hobbit at the age of 7 I pictured hobbits as more pear shaped, like a McDonalds Grimmus but smaller and not purple

O my elbereth....not purple? I think hobbits are just stronger and chubby. Frodo was loose limbs and anorexia.

Maybe being around the One Ring while growing up made his physique different. blush

Maybe, or maybe his real father is Lord Elrond and we just dont know it 0_o

"Frodo was neither very fat nor very timid; indeed, though he did not know it, Bilbo (and Gandalf) had thought him the best hobbit in the Shire." - Fog on the Barrow-Downs

However, somewhere in the book it says that when Frodo left the Shire, he was fairly fattened-up and "timid".

"'I am sure you have given me all the heaviest stuff,' said Frodo. 'I pity snails, and all that carry their homes on their backs.'

'I could take a lot more yet, sir. My packet is quite light,' said Sam stoutly and untruthfully.

'No, you don't, Sam!' said Pippin. 'It is good for him. He's got nothing except what he ordered us to pack. He's been slack lately, and he'll feel the weight less when he's walked off some of his own.'" - Three is Company

But of course the quest took its toll, and later on Frodo was a shadow of his former self.

Your correct Widespace. Frodo, like all Hobbits, would have been slightly chubby at the start of his quest. He gradually looses weight through his journey.

However he also was much older in the book. I don't think an older Frodo would have worked and Elija's beautiful performance won me over from the fist introduction. Merry and Pip also should have been chubbier. But again I loved them.

Holy Lembas bread Frodo was described in the book as " Tall, fair, thinner then most hobbits and had an elvish look to him...." he looks just fine.  But I must admit he must take a whole lot of evening walks or skips second breakfast or something.  On the other hand if you think Frodo is skinny then what about Merry and Pippin? they arn't exactly like a bowl full of jelly.  indecision

Hey I'm sorry on screen I sounded really harsh.  All I'm trying to say is Frodo is a brilliant hobbit played by an outstanding actor.  And he looks great.

^^Haha! Didn't sound that harsh Big Smile Smilie

You know, as much as I'm really enjoying this question, honestly at first I thought this was kind of a joke thread!

And that's what I love about PT. Either way, even if it was or wasn't, it was turned into a serious discussion about the appearance of hobbits! Been to a lot of forums, and honestly at most, this thread would probably be shut down by now...

+100 for Planet Tolkien!

In addition to Wildespace's quote above, earlier in the same chapter [Three Is Company].

'He [Frodo] had not done any strenuous walking for a long time, and the reflection looked rather flabby, he thought.'

But as Wildespace also noted the Quest would change that, as by Many Meetings for example:

'Looking in a mirror he was startled to see a much thinner reflection of himself than he remembered: it looked remarkably like the young nephew of Bilbo who used to go tramping with his uncle in the Shire;...'

We have to admit that both Frodo and Sam looks haggard and warn in the aftermath of the destruction of the Ring. Cracked lips, dirty and exhausted. You could feel the toll taken in them both.

I think PJ portrayed the gradual downfall of the health of both of our Heros very well on film. "

The scene if both of them stranded on the rock before their rescue via Gandalf and the Eagles is very powerful and brings a tear to my eye every time.