Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: How well known is Sauron?

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Characters > How well known is Sauron?   
I was wondering how well known Sauron was in the third age before the War of the Ring? I mean, sure, the elves know exactly who he is and what he is capable of, many of them were there when they fought him the first time, but what about the less immortal folks? Would he be more than a scary fairy tale to a Hobbit? What about the Dwarves? Men?
I think he is known as myths and legends to the common mortals.

I'd like to know how much the Dwarves knew about Sauron during that time. I remember that the dwarves are often characterized as the folks that don't really care about Middle Earth that much - they are busy with their own lives so they can survive in their dwellings. A lot of those who could remember more about Sauron deceased and I think there were only a few who remembered the stories and tales.

During the reign of Melkor, Sauron gradually gained power, some lent to him by Melkor, some grown by his will and strength of knowledge.  He became Melkor's lieutenant and held his own strong holds and armies.

After the removal of Melkor, Sauron gathered all remaining fell creatures to him and over the Ages bred them and became The New Dark Lord.

Early on he could change his form and would have become known either as The Dark Lord & or which ever guise he had taken.  The Sorcerer of Dol Guldur, The Necromancer, Anatar Lord Of Gifts etc, etc.