Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: JRRT CALENDAR COLLECTING GUILD

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Misc Guilds > JRRT CALENDAR COLLECTING GUILD   [1] [2] [3] >>
Thanks for dropping in and (perhaps) dropping a line here. I am into a small field of Tolkienalia: the Tolkien calendars. "Everyone" at one time or another has had one (if only one of related to the PJ movies). But could you hazard a guess at how many there are out there? You can view my collection/compilation at my website:

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

You will find everything from the first fanzine calendar to those of the various Tolkien societies to those of individual illustrators. You will even find one signed by the Professor himself! If you have any that are missing from my listing, I would love to hear from you (either here or through the email link on my website). Hope you find it useful . . . or at the very least interesting!

By the way, my username is derived from 'parma' (book), 'asta' (month), and 'hir' (to find). So 'book of months finder' or literally 'calendar collector'.

Away from the Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
I had a look and it is a very interesting collection. As I said in your welcome thread I don't collect calendars but I find it difficult to throw them away because of the lovely photos/artwork.

I do have a 'Discover England's Two Towers' 2005 calendar which has photos of "the original locations in England that provided inspiration for the Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth stories."
Thanks, Vee. I know of the calendar that you mention. I did not collect it last year simply because I don't consider it a Tolkien calendar as there is no artwork in it. Although perhaps I should reconsider. I have listed a calendar from New Zealand in my compilation. It contains photos of areas around New Zealand that were were labelled with LOTR sites. Now you have me thinking! That's why I started this thread.
I have the 2006 Hobbit Calendar with Tolkien's original artwork hanging on the wall near me. I also have this same artwork on a smaller scale that I cut from a desktop monthly planning calendar some time in the 1970s. I used to have calendars with artwork by the brothers Hildebrant, but don't think I do anymore. The past few years I have been buying calendars with photos from the Hubble Space Telescope or from Astronomy Magazine. This is the first year in a long time that I have reverted back to a Tolkien calendar.
I have a calendar with Labrador Retrievers on. If I'd call the pooches Grip & Fang, would that make it a Tolkien calendar?
hmmm not sure i had a Tiger calendar, once upon a time but iwould like a Tolkien calendar, i cant find them anywhere though!!!
Hi Elessar -

If you want a Tolkien calendar, you need look no further than ebay. You can find this year's issue "on the cheap" there. Indeed, you can pick up many past issues inexpensively.

Parmastahir
thank you very much Parmastahir ill take a look thanks, is it just movie pictures or the artwork??? (call me Loss)
Probably both, though there have been a lot more pre-movie years to make calendars for, so the movie ones should be in the minority; still they may have printed more of them, so who knows?
Hi Loss -

Take your pick. If you're interested in (what I call "true") Tolkien calendars, just go to ebay, click on "Buy", type in "Tolkien calendar", hit "Enter" on your keyboard and you'll find probably 50 listings for them. Right now they go from 1974 to present. You can find the PJ movie-related issues by typing in "Lord of the Rings calendar". I don't collect those. They are basically stills from the movies. I am interested in the work of illustrators like Howe and Nasmith (the most well-known) and those done by non-professionals (such as the illustrations done for the various Tolkien societies' calendars, e.g. - Polish TS, Italian TS, Dutch TS "Unquendor", American TS, Beyond Bree, etc). My only advice: Be patient. Watch a few auctions. Figure out what a good price is. You can always pay more than you want to. But getting a good deal on ebay is fun.

Parmastahir
Thank you for the good advice - i think we have a natural bargain hunter among us?? "Cheap as Chips!!" Except chips are getting expensive nowadays (UK = Chips, USA = Fries, Other countries = dunno Orc Grinning Smilie )

Ill look around, thank you!
Natural bargain hunter? Hardly. I overpaid for several calendars before I learned those lessons! So be patient. Believe me, the common ones will come up over and over again. It's the rare (or at least very much less common - whichever description you prefer) that I will pay more for. And I have acquired some of those "for a song" because not everyone realizes the rarity of certain issues. Being my specialty, I most often do! However, "my precious" is 1974 calendar inscribed and signed by Professor Tolkien himself. I also have most of the Ballantine and Allen&Unwin (both publishers now under HarperCollins) issues in mint (completely unopened) condition - including the 1973 Ballantine (the first commercial calendar - preceeded only by the 1969 Tim Kirk illustrated fanzine calendar) and the 1974 A&U (the first issued by that publisher). I have the 1998 Khandlendar done by Alex Lewis (yes, the Tolkien Society chair), a rare 1990 NOT Tolkien calendar (done by the Mythopoeic Society), the 2002 Italian TS (recalled after some disagreement with the Tolkien Estate), many of the Beyond Bree calendars (they issued only 65 of each one), both versions of the 1998 Italian TS (one spiral wire-bound, the other adhesive-bound), etc. Many of them came in mailers and I have those, too, in essentially mint condition (including the 1996 Italian TS which was the first one that that society did). OK, enough bragging. (Pride goeth before a fall.) I simply enjoy them very much . . . which is as it should be with whatever one collects! You can check out my collection at:

Hope you enjoy them!

Parmastahir
Well, it's April and that means a new "Calendar of the Month" featured on my Tolkien calendar website:

Hope you enjoy this one (and the others). Please drop me a line (via the website) if there is one on the website that you would like to see the illustrations from.

Parmastahir
Open note to Etharion: Please contact me about the Croatian version of the 2004 Tolkien calendar. Would love to add a picture and details about it to my website! Thanks.
Quote:
Open note to Etharion: Please contact me about the Croatian version of the 2004 Tolkien calendar. Would love to add a picture and details about it to my website! Thanks.
You could also have sent this as a Personal Message from the above 'My Account' link, 'Messages', and 'Create New Message'. Then you also could have given him your email address there too, while being more sure that he would read it sooner. Elf Winking Smilie
OK, I'm doing the same thing all over again. But I wish this to be a public "Thank You" to you (Grondmaster) for the helpful hint. I'm an expert at Tolkien calendars but have a lot to learn about how to use the various functions of these boards. Thanks again. I will contact him now.
Happy May to all!

May means a new calendar of the month on my website:

Have recently added some Finnish Tolkien Society calendars and will soon add a couple from France.

The biggest single change is the format of the site. I put the thumbnails into 10 different lists making the homepage easier to open (faster for those without hi-speed internet access).

Check it all out. Am always happy to hear from anyone!

Parmastahir
If you are interested, I updated my Tolkien calendar website this weekend...

Finally created a new Calendar-of-the-Month for June. Won't spoil the surprise by telling you what it is! I have been picking out calendars that are somewhat uncommon, and this one certainly is!

Have added a few "new" calendars (recently discovered or catalogued). You can find out which ones in the "What's New" section of the website.

Lastly, Beren suggested a section where calendars are sorted by country or society rather than chronologically. So I did so for a large number of them (excluding the large number of Ballantine/USA and Allen&Unwin/UK - and their successors - issues).

Hope you enjoy! Comments always welcome - especially if you have a discovery to report. Thanks!

Parmastahir
Let me know if you want the 'Discover England's Two Towers' calendar for 2005... or it goes in the recycling bin!

If you do want it then message me your snailmail address and I'll post it to you.
You have the Dutch 2006 Henning calendar... i believe he has a 2005 calendar also. He made 500 pieces and i do not know if they are still available. Should you want i can bring you in contact with the artist.
Hi Vee - Well, I would be crazy (not that I'm not already - just ask my poor wife about me and collecting these calendars!) to refuse your generous offer. You can drop me an email at agoss@adelphia.net to take this off-line. Thanks very much!

Hi Beren - I have written to Henning before and received most excellent responses from him. Unless my memory fails me, I thought he had told me that he had NOT done any previous calendars! Hmmmm... I guess I should drop him a line and see what's correct. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep you posted.

Best to all.

Parmastahir
Maybe i was mistaken... but i'm almost sure he did a calendar in 2005. I was happy to buy an original drawing of Henning last weekend and to be able to speak with him! He is a great guy indeed.
Hi Beren -

I received a response from Henning. He did not do a calendar in 2005 - which makes me happy because I don't have a copy of it!

Parmastahir

Happy July to Everyone!

I have updated my Tolkien calendar website with a few additions and the Calendar of the Month feature. That calendar is the 1976 issue illustrated by the Brothers Hildebrandt in respect to Tim Hildebrandt who passed away on 11 June. Check it all out at:

Would be pleased to hear from anyone with comments or a discovery!

Parmastahir
well, i cant say i collect much of nything
except dust
but

visit my website! www.dustingisforninnys.com/dustme
It has been a while since I posted. Hope everyone's summer is going well.

I have updated the Calendar of the Month feature on my website. This month's calendar is a particular favorite of mine as I noted on the website. Please stop by! As always, am very interested to hear from you if know of or have any "new" (previously uncatalogued) calendars.

Parmastahir
Updatedthe Calendar of the Month feature for September. Thanks all for looking in:

My calender for September is Tolkien's watercolor showing Bilbo waking up in the eagle's eyrie and seeing the Great Eagle standing there scanning the horizon.
Hi Grondmaster -

That would be the 2006 HarperPrism calendar with JRRT's illustrations (colored by Riddett). I love Tolkien's illustrations as these are how he imagined the scenes.

I updated the Calendar of the Month feature on my website last weekend. I don't want to spoil the surprise. but this calendar is by a "new", very talented, and really nice (having had several communications with him) illustrator. Some of his illustrations are VERY reminiscent of JRRT's. Check it out at:

Parmastahir
Fall is officially here. Hope everyone enjoys the season!

Added a "new" (previously uncatalogued) calendar to the website (1991 Laurin/Hamburg). Also updated the Calendar of the Month feature for October. You may check them out at:

As always, I would be pleased to hear from fellow collectors.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Updated the Calendar of the Month feature this morning. Won't spoil the surprise by telling you which one. You'll have to visit:

Will soon catalog a rather unique 2006 Advent calendar (has Shire coins in it rather than candy!) Best to all.

Parmastahir
Added some calendars in November and updated the Calendar of the Month for December. Hope you enjoy it!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

I have reformatted my Tolkien calendar website in an attempt to make it much less cluttered and easier to use. In addition, there are many new additions (2007 calendars and several new discoveries) and a new Calendar of the Month featured for January. Hope you all enjoy (and use) it!

Parmastahir

Hello to all -

Hope your January is going well.

Added society listings for the Tolkien's Ring and Shire Post groups to the website this weekend. Even small societies can issue calendars if they are active and motivated!

Ordered a new one from Tolkien's Ring, and I hope to add a rather rare one to the list soon.

As always, I very much appreciate the support of the many people (here and other societies, fellow collectors) that has taken my personal quest to where it is today!

Parmastahir
Wonderful site! I have many calendars but never considered them as a collection. I just can't throw them away. Now I have a "new" collection. Smile Smilie Searched ebay and watched a couple of auctions. Lots of fun. I have my collection in a good place with my books but haven't looked at them lately. Will now catalogue them. Thanks for the thread.
Parmastshir, your collection is amazing and I can well imagine how special the one signed by the Professor is! You're very fortunate to have it and I'm glad to know its safe in good hands.
How can you have a 1974 calendar signed by JRRT if he died in 1973, a year before that? Did he sign it before it got released?
Tolkien Lives!
Thank you all for your visits and posts.

To Halbard: If my website inspires you to catalog your collection of calendars, I'm glad. Doing so will force you to handle and examine and enjoy them all over again. And that is why you started collecting them in the first place, n'est-ce pas? If you should have questions about any of them, please post here (I check in almost daily) or drop me a line through the website.

Creating a catalog of my collection is pretty much the reason that I started my website. Had them all in an Excel spreadsheet, but needed an easier way to share the information on them with fellow calendar collectors. So I learned a little html (who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?) and put it out there. The current site is about the fifth or sixth version of it. As I learn more html, I make what I think are improvements to it (organization, content, functionality, etc).

And here is a little 'secret' (hidden in plain sight) about it: For those calendars that I own a copy (or two) of, the year is in bold (for example 1973. Those I need are in regular text (for example 1969).

Thanks to Sian for the compliment.

And to Tyrhael, I think that both you and Virumor are right. Tolkien does live, but the calendar was issued in August 1973 unless he was able to get this one from the publisher a little earlier. One would think that he would have had some pull in that matter! It is wonderful to hold it and imagine him signing it for his friend, but sad to know that he would soon pass away. I know people that own over thirty different books signed by JRRT. And while I think their collections spectacular, I had only ever wanted one thing signed by him and was very fortunate to acquire it. I am in this regard much like Sam Gamgee who only wanted his one little garden.

It has been fun collecting the calendars, but it has been wonderful making friendships with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts all over the world. It is those people that are more precious than rings (or calendars!) to me. Without their support, I could not have collected as many as I have. It never ceases to amaze me how people that "do not know me from Adam" (as the expression goes) will go out of their way to help me make my collection complete. Many of them are noted on the homepage of my site. I communicate with most of them regularly almost to the extent, in my mind, of becoming a pest. But I can not help myself. It is too much fun, non-fattening, and completely legal!

Parmastahir
February Website Update

Added some new calendars in January and put up the Calendar of the Month (a little known gem)for February. Hope you enjoy. As always, would love to hear from you about undiscovered calendars. Hope your winter is going well!

Parmastahir
BIG Little Calendar

Added a rarity to my collection this week: the 1983 Antioch Publishing Not-Too-Big "Fantasy Calendar". I have been searching for one for years. It was the only calendar that year to have any Tolkien-related illustration. Not Ballantine Books nor Allen&Unwin nor any of the various Tolkien societies did so. Even then, only the July illustration ("Gandalf's Visit" by Sylvia Thomas) is so. The name is very much self-descriptive: it is only 5.75 inches square. Have created an entry and will add a picture at my website: www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Thanks for looking in and your interest!

Parmastahir
March Tolkien Calendar Website Update

I added several calendars in February (find them under "What's New") and just posted the March Calendar of the Month. It is the first issue in a series that are personal favorites. Hope you enjoy it!

Spring is coming! I could feel it in the air here today.

Parmastahir
Society and Calendar Histories

Hello to all -

In addition to the commercial publishers (e.g. - Ballantine and Allen&Unwin which are now under the HarperCollins banner), there are many Tolkien societies/associations that have published calendars for their membership. I have been fortunate to discover and collect some with as few as three copies. More importantly, members of these societies have been kind enough to write up histories of their groups for me. In an attempt to provide more content than the simple "cut and dried" information provided by each calendar entry, I have been adding their information to the appropriate sections/entries within my website. You can discover those entries in the "What's New" section of my website:

As always, appreciate your posts/comments. Should you know of any calendars that I have not catalogued, I would of course love to hear from you. It is my quest to make my gyde compleat! Thanks much.

Parmastahir
APRIL CALENDAR WEBSITE UPDATE

Happy Spring everyone!

It's the first of the month and that means that I have updated the Calendar of the Month feature on my website. April's calendar is a rarity and particular favorite. Recent updates may be found under "What's New on this Website?" You may view it all at:

Hope you enjoy it! Best to all.

Parmastahir
See if you can figuer out wha'ts worng with this pitcher!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-Stephen-Hickman-Tolkien-Calendar-Illustration_W0QQitemZ170099089312QQihZ007QQcategoryZ3 987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Parmasthair
The Professor's name is spelled wrong! I can't laugh, I've misspelled it myself (and also misspelled a client's name on a bakery commission to be served their grand opening >blush<)
Bingo! Give that man a cigar. I understand that you can't laugh. But really, a Tolkien calendar cover to be viewed by millions and he couldn't spell check his draft before he did this? Makes me wonder if it's genuine! Thanks for playing along!

Parmastahir
Enjoyed it! (I am, like Eowyn, no man and can't smoke but will thank you for the stogie all the same Happy Elf Smilie )
Posted a new Calendar of the Month for May this evening at:

Hope you like it.

Happy May Day!

Parmastahir
POLISH TOLKIEN CALENDARS

I have been able to catalog but not collect a number of commercial Tolkien calendars from Poland. Surprisingly, I have been able to find all of the issues from Parmadili/Polish Tolkien Society even though I am certain that they create many fewer calendars. If anyone can help me to find and collect the Polish Tolkien calendars from Zysk-i-ska and Wydanicto Amber, I would much appreciate hearing from you either here or via my website [url=http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars] Compleat Gyde to Tolkien Calendars . Thank you!

Parmastahir
  [1] [2] [3] >>