Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: JRRT CALENDAR COLLECTING GUILD

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Misc Guilds > JRRT CALENDAR COLLECTING GUILD   << [1] [2] [3] >>
Added a rarity to the Compleat Gyde to Tolkien Calendars [www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars]today: the 2003 Tolkien's Ring calendar. Only three copies exist. A member (who created an illustration of Old Man Willow for it) was kind enough to part with it.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
"New" Polish Tolkien Calendars

I discovered a Polish website that appeared to have three Polish Tolkien Society calendars for sale. One I had catalogued but not collected, and the other two were new to me. Long story short, I contacted a colleague there who confirmed same, ordered them, and sent them to me. I added the two new ones (2003 Parmadili calendars) to my website today.

Thanks for looking in!

Parmastahir
Calendar of the Month for June

It's June and that means a new Calendar of the Month feature. Hope you like it.

Happy Summer everyone!

Parmastahir
Added a new calendar to the website this week. An 18 month, 2007 - 2008 calendar from the Middle-earth fellowship. They only made 25 for members. Made an entry for it but need to get a photo of it (hopefully tomorrow or this weekend). Am hoping to add some from a small European society soon! Hope you enjoy it!

Parmastahir

http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars
Added another new (previously undiscovered) Tolkien calendar to my website this week: a variant of the 2006 Polish Tolkien Society calendar. The first few copies of this calendar were printed on yellow paper. The rest of the "regular" issue (perhaps 100 or so?) were printed on white. Was fortunate to add a copy of the yellow version to my collection this week. View this and all other calendars at:

www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars

Thanks for visiting!

Parmastahir
Hello to All -

Hope your summer is going well (and, for those here in the US, that you have a most enjoyable 4th of July).

Put a new calendar of the month up for July. It is a true rarity (only three copies of it were printed).

Parmastahir
Have been fortunate to discover and collect four new (previously undiscovered) calendars in the recent weeks. As soon as I as receive them, I'll post them to my website. You will be able to find them most easily through the "What's New?" link there. Hope everyone's summer is going well!

Parmastahir
Added three of the new calendars noted above to my collection/catalog this week:

- A 1984 Arthedain (Norge Tolkien Forening) calendar with Gregorian, Shire, and Imladris reckonings.
- 2006 and 2007 Tolkiendil (French Tolkien society).

You can find them at www.angelfire.com/tn3/tolkiencalendars.

Hope you enjoy them!

Parmastahir
The calander with Shire reckoning and Imladris and Gregorian sounds wonderful! I've always wanted a calander in Shire reckoning.. may have to make my own, tho.
Hello Miss Sian -

I have been fortunate to collect several calendars in the reckonings of The Shire, Gondor, Imladris, etc. It is easy enough to create one comparing the standard Gregorian reckoning with that of The Shire. For an idea of how to compare several systems at once, I highly recommend an e-calendar created by Ryszard Derzinski. It is still available as a free download here:

http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/shop.htm#calendars

Look for the 2001 Elvish Linguistic Calendar. It is full of useful information on the reckonings. After that, it's up to you! Thanks for looking in.

Parmastahir
Received and created a listing for a 2007 Hobbit calendar from Australia this week. It is an excellent calendar from Colin Williams. The illustrations are great, the production quality is top notch, and it's simply different from all of the others that I have collected. Prior to finding it on eBay, had not heard of this one or its illustrator. Could not find a website or email address for him, so have written to him to find out more about his work. Has anyone here any information on Colin Williams (Annandale, NSW, Australia)? Thanks!

Parmastahir
Thank you so much for that link, Parmastahir, I downloaded it and I see how I can make a nice calander ! :-)
Hello Sian -

You are more than welcome, but the thanks should be to Mr. Derdzinski. He not only created that calendar but has been heavily involved in the creation of many of the calendars from the Polish Tolkien Society (Parmadili). I hope that you have fun creating your calendar!

Parmastahir
Hello to all -

It's August so I updated the Calendar of the Month feature. This month's is another rare one. Hope you like it and that everyone is enjoying the summer.

Parmastahir

Discovered (and collected) a previously undiscovered Tolkien calendar. It is a variant of the 1977 calendar published in New Zealand. Check it out at:

As it winds down, hope everyone's summer was great.

Parmastahir
Interesting thread. I've considered collecting different editions of the published books with an eye to comparing different illustrator's interpretations. Calendars somehow weren't in my calculations.

I like your site, but the homepage is a little difficult to read -- I ended up 'highlighting' the text with my cursor before reading it so it had an easier (white) background). Nice to see pictures from the calendar of the month!
Hello Elanorraine -

Thanks for your reply! Am happy that you found this of interest. If you wish to collect the books (no matter what theme you may choose), there are plenty of true experts on them out there (and I can certainly put you in contact with them should you desire). But beware! Collecting can be addicting. I am completely OCD when it comes to finding calendars.

Re my website, I had heard from one other user that the contrast of text to background made it hard to read. But many others have said no. I can not know what your browser presents to you and it may be that it interprets what I have set up differently. My son is taking a second course on websites and is maintaining one for a farmers' collective while at school. So I'm hoping that I can get him to help me (as I'm barely an html rookie). But it's the old story of the cobbler's children having no shoes!

Parmastahir
Posted the Calendar of the Month for September this morning. It is a German language variant of a particular favorite of mine. Thus, it is somewhat uncommon.

Also added a German language Shire Reckoning calendar to the catalog. It is available in .pdf format from the creator's website. This one may interest Ms. Sian!

Hope you enjoy them!

Parmastahir

Made some fantastic acquisitions recently. Posted the complete collection of calendars (eighteen) from Colin Williams, a recently discovered illustrator, and a newly discovered variant of the 1974 A&U issue from New Zealand on my website today:

Hope you enjoy them. As always, interested in your comments and visits.

Happy Autumn to all!

Parmastahir
I'll go and look Smile Smilie Happy Autumn to you also!
Hello Ms. Sian!

What I should do is make one of them the CotM for October. Perhaps I should do a trilogy: his 2005, 2006, 2007 calendars. The illustrations for these three go chronologically through The Hobbit. No matter how good my photos are, you can not appreciate how nice these calendars are. They are handcrafted from really nice materials and are real labors of love. Mr. Williams is an architect but has a passion for The Hobbit and drawing that led him to create these calendars as Christmas presents for family and friends (and not many copies exist). I was VERY fortunate to pick up copies of all of his calendars (both A3 and A4 sizes) to date (1999 - ), and I am lookin forward to his 2008 issue already!

Parmastahir
Hello to all -

Posted the new Calendar of the Month for October today. It is the first of a series of three calendars from The Hobbit from Colin Williams. (OK, that pretty much tells you what November and December will be!) You can find it at:

And the first of the 2008 calendars are out - which you can also find on my website. Hope you enjoy them. As always, would love to hear your comments and/or questions!

Parmastahir
hey guys !
im a nu user but a fan of JRR from quite a while...
justed wanted to know more about this site and about the latest bestseller "the children of hurin" .
hope a reply soon :-)
Hello and Welcome, Imahobbit -

If your interest is in TCoH, go to the "Books" section and check out "Other..." There is a thread there with a discussion of that particular book. The only thing related to TCoH here is the new 2008 Tolkien calendar with illustrations by Alan Lee based on it.

I certainly hope that you find what you are looking for here and that you visit my calendar website. You never know where you'll wind up when you step onto a road!

Parmastahir
I added a new Tolkien calendar to my collection and website last weekend. It is the 2008 Middle-earth Fellowship calendar, and is very unusual in that the illustrations are based on "Tales Twice Told The Folklore of Middle-earth". Only 10 have been printed for members. As always, your comments are welcome!

Parmastahir

Received the 2008 calendar from Eldalie. You can find it in either the chronological or society listings at:

As always, would love to hear from you if you have any questions about Tolkien calendars.

Parmastahir
Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for November. Hope you enjoy the second in this series.

Parmastahir

NEW Tolkien Calendar

I have collected a LOT of Tolkien calendars. Now a first for me. I have been working with Ted Nasmith and Jef Murray to create a calendar for Heren Istarion (The Northeast Tolkien Society). Anthony and Jessie, the cochairs of NETS, are having difficulty keeping the Society solvent (without dipping further into their own pockets!) As they have done so much for Tolkien fans (including organizing the '08 MythCon in Connecticut next year) and as I have been wanting to create a calendar, I have taken the responsibility to create this one. All proceeds will benefit HI. Ted and Jef have contributed some amazing illustrations (some of them previously unpublished!) I am working with my daughter (a graphic designer) to lay out the calendar. It will be in the Shire Reckoning format with Gregorian dates, moon phases, and important dates in Middle-earth added. You can check out its cover by Jef (and support HI should you order one) at:

www.herenistarion.org

Thanks!

Parmastahir

p.s. - I am hoping that a plug for this calendar does not offend anyone or run afoul of any forum rules. It is for a good and completely non-commercial cause. (I will certainly abide by any decisions that a moderator may make!)
I have posted the Calendar of the Month for December. It is the third in a series titled "Bilbo Baggins and the Fourteen" by Colin Williams.

Also, please consider supporting Heren Istarion by purchasing one of their 2008 calendars. It will contain illustrations by Ted Nasmith and Jef Murray and be in the Shire Reckoning format. You can check it out here:

www.herenistarion.org

For those who have ordered, we have still to receive the CD with Ted Nasmith's illustrations. It was mailed eight days ago. Even by airmail, I expect it to take 10 day to 2 weeks. Hopefully, it will arrive early next week and we will be shipping the calendar soon after.

Happy December to all!

Parmastahir
I received 60 copies of the Heren Istarion calendar from my daughter (who designed and printed them) on Friday and mailed out 58 on Monday. These sold very well and the support of HI is very much appreciated!

Happy Holidays to all!

Parmastahir
Comments on the HI calendar are coming in now that they are being received by purchasers. The comments have all been most positive which pleases me no end! I had thought it a wonderful piece. But having been intimately involved in its design and creation, I had wondered if I were biased (which is true nonetheless!) People are wondering if HI will do one for 2009 (which I think we will). It is not too late to order one here:

www.herenistarion.org

You may also purchase one from René van Rossenberg at Tolkienwinkel as he purchased 10 to sell on his site. And there will probably be a second print run as the Tolkien Society (UK) Trading section has enquired about 15 - 25 for their members.

Proceeds after printing and postage costs will support HI's website and journals in the coming year.

With my best wishes for a VERY Merry Christmas and happiness and health in the New Year,

Parmastahir
January CotM

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature on my website:

At the risk of spoiling the surprise, you will find full page (illustration and calendar page) images of the 2008 Heren Istarion calendar (a favorite of mine for obvious reasons!) Hope you enjoy it!

Parmastahir
2008 S.T.E.

Added the 2008 Sociedad Tolkien Española calendar to the catalog at:

Hope you enjoy it.

Parmastahir
I (finally) updated the Calendar of the Month feature for February on my website:

You can now find 13 illustrations with a common theme: the 1977 centerfold by the Bros Hildebrandt and 12 by Colin Williams. In order to do any more of such "theme" Calendar of the Month features, I am going to have to go through all of my calendars and compile a list of each illustration . . . no small task as I have collected about 240 of the 271 calendars that I have been able to catalog! Wish me luck!

Thanks all for visiting.

Parmastahir
Added a new calendar to the catalog (and my collection): the Pocket (France) "Calendrier 2008 Collector." It has a single Tolkien-related illustration within: "The Fellowship of the Ring" by John Howe. It was a bonus for purchasing Pocket books at Christmas.

Parmastahir
Added a new (previously unknown to me) calendar to my collection and website: the "Calendrier 2002 Tolkien". Not certain, as there is no ISBN or other copyright info to identify the publisher, but I think it was created for Pocket. It has a format unique in my collection. You can find it in the 2002 or France sections of my website:

Parmastahir
Updated the CotM for March at:

Hope you like it.

Spring is coming!

Parmastahir
Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for April at:

Hope you like this one!

Parmastahir
Added a 1996 Ediciones Minotauro to the catalog at:

You can find it in the 1996 - 1998 and Spain listings.

Happy Spring to all!

Parmastahir

p.s. - And if anyone out there can help me collect any of the Spanish Ediciones Minotauro calendars, I would be grateful for the help. Thanks!
Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for May at:

It's one that I only recently "discovered".

Parmastahir
posted 08-25-2008 10:52 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all -

Have not posted since May or so. It seems a very long time and yet the summer seems to have passed very quickly.

Not much news on calendar collecting. Picked up a few over the summer. But as most serious collectors find (I suspect), the more one has, the harder it is to find items that one doesn't have.

Attended MythCon 39 at CCSU on 15 - 16 August. Ted Nasmith attended and very graciously signed all of Tolkien calendars (that I brought from my collection) that he had illustrated for me , and signed a copy of the new 2009 issue (that he was selling at his dealers' table). Also, four of the illustrators of the 1990 NOT Tolkien Calendar attended (not surprisingly, perhaps, as it was a MythSoc creation), and they signed my copy of it. And the meeting itself was very interesting and a great deal of fun.

Parmastahir

p.s. - Hoping to have it ready LONG before the New Year, we have started work on the 2009 HI calendar. Jef Murray has done up a wonderful cover for it, and I have enlisted the talents of two illustrators (one from Poland, the other from Australia). Keep an eye on the HI website or my calendar website for its announcement. With the support of the many that purchased it last year, HI not only got into the black (began running a positive balance of funds), they began offering free memberships to the Northeast Tolkien Society (it being no longer necessary to collect membership dues). We intend to continue with the Shire Reckoning format. Will keep you posted!
2009 Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society Calendar!

If interested, you can check out the 2009 Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society calendar at:

http://herenistarion.org

You can find a link to the calendar and ordering info in Main Menu (fourth item in the left-hand column.) Jef Murray has provided cover artwork and sketches. We have two new illustrators this year: Catherine (Kasiopea) Chmiel and Colin (Bungo) Williams. Kasiopea is a well-known illustrator from Poland. Bungo is an amateur (in name only!) from Australia.

I was so proud of the 2008 calendar that I was worried that the 2009 could not possibly live up to it . . . this in spite of the fact that I had lined up Kasia and Bungo as the illustrators (and love both of their works.) I need not have worried. I got a proof of it from my daughter last week and it looks GREAT! I am REALLY happy with it!!

Proceeds benefit HI/NETS. Last year's calendar was so popular that membership in HI/NETS is now free.

Parmastahir
I'm going to order one as soon as I finish the forum today. Happy Elf Smilie
Hello Grondmaster -

Thank you for supporting HI/NETS! We need only a couple of illustrations from Kasia and will then be able to start printing the calendar. She has promised her files by the end of October. So I think that we will have these printed and start posting them by mid-November . . . well in time for Christmas presents and the New Year.

Parmastahir
My daughter and I printed the 2009 Heren Istarion / Northeast Tolkien Society calendar last evening. I will be getting the order list from Jessie & Anthony very soon and posting them next week. So those that have ordered should see their calendars well before Christmas and the New Year.

I think it a wonderful creation (but I am biased in this matter!) Please consider ordering one (at http://herenistarion.org ) for your use during the year (or collection of Tolkienalia.) This may be your only chance to see some of Colin William's illustrations. He is an amateur (in name only!) and his work is not well-known.

Thank you!

Parmastahir
For those interested, I updated my website today with the seven 2009 calendars that I have been able to catalog/collect (so far!)

Parmastahir
I received the 2009 Heren Istarion: The Northeast Tolkien™ Society Calendar yesterday; it is beautiful and it is presented in the Shire Reckoning format as described in Appendix B of LotR. with the days of the week in the left hand column with Sterday on top and Highday on the bottom.

The first day of the Shire year is always Sterday, 2 Yule on which this year our Monday, 29 December 2008 falls. Our modern day of the week, day of the month, and month of the year are printed in the appropriate Shire day's rectangle. For instance our New Year's Day, Thursday 01 January 2009 falls in that for Trewsday, 3 Afteryule; while our Monday, 29 June 2009 falls on the calendar's Midyear's Day, which has a page of its own.

Besides the nice painting or drawing for each month at the top of the calendar there are watermark-like sketches as background behind the each months grid. In addition to the four moon phases, also shown are a few anniversaries of specific LotR occurrences.

As long as I'm hanging it for the pictures, I may as well learn how to read it, though that may take me a week or so to get my mind accustomed to reading it top to bottom rather than left to right.

I'm quite happy with this calendar and think The Northeast Tolkien Society did a fine job bringing it to fruition.
Hello Grondmaster -

Thank you much for your comments on the HI calendar. It is a labor of love (for me and my daughter who create this for HI each year) and a chance to get the works of some new illustrators known to the Tolkien world . . . although Kasia is a great professional illustrator already though perhaps not well-known or recognized outside of Poland. It's also a chance for me to realize a creative urge and make a calendar that is interesting and different from the commercial (ie - HarperCollins) one that comes out every year. I am pleased that you like (even if you are not used to) the SR format. The ink is barely dry on the 2009 and I'm thinking about whom I may ask to illustrate the 2010. I have only today discoverd a totally unique one of the two trees that I would LOVE to use as the centerfold. Assuming we continue this tradition, I'll have to create a HI/NETS entry in the Country/Society section of my website next year (which I usually do when I have three or more to list.)

I hope you use it in good health all year long. Thank you for your support of HI/NETS.

Parmastahir
Updated my Tolkien calendar website with several new entries: a calendar of photos of New Zealand sites where the LotR movies were filmed; a recently discovered 1994 calendar based upon an iconic 1977 poster. Check them out at:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! Christmas Smilie

Parmastahir
A short note to inform those interested of three calendars that I just received and entered on my website. Two (A3 and A4 size) are the annual offerings from Colin Williams. The third is also from Mr. Williams. But it is his first attempt at both full-color illustrations and subjects from LotR. Previously, all illustrations were pen and ink and depicted scenes from "The Hobbit." Colin was generous enough to allow me to feature illustrations from his previous calendars in the 2009 HI/NETS calendar.

Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir
  << [1] [2] [3] >>