Login | Register

Message Board | Latest Posts | Your Recent Posts | Rules

Thread: Musician's Guild

Is this discussion interesting? Share it on Twitter!

Bottom of Page    Message Board > Misc Guilds > Musician's Guild   << [1] [2] [3]

Yeah, I actually do like of Monsters and Men! Good music.

Does anyone know these guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ-8ORDtAxQ

Monsters and Men.. What kind of genre do they play?

@ Beredras: I don't know, but I'll check the link to see what it is. Smile Smilie

Now, back to business.

I've decided to put some of my planned musical projects to ice for a while. I've no interest to continue them at this point, but maybe later I will. I'm mainly talking about tow/oerath windsoul rock/heavy metal project.

For seven years, I've had plans about starting a band that would only focus on covering various game soundtracks/songs by using basic instruments: drums, guitar, bass and keyboard as an extra, if needed.

A friend of mine recently accepted my offer that we'd start to work on these songs, once he gets his guitars set up and I get to buy us a bass and amp to run it.

He'll do guitars and bass, I'll do the drums and first, we'll use Zoom to record these songs. Later, if these songs spark interest, we'll try to recruit a third member to play bass etc; and try to get some songs properly recorded for some kind of release (maybe on internet mainly).

We've no name yet, but I guess one will be figured out at some point. Like I had planned, there'll be something new out due to next year and it's first months. This is not what I originally planned, but damn I'm excited about this project.

I'll throw you links of a few confirmed songs, so you'll get to know what kind of songs we're about to cover in future.

Zero Wing OST - Stage 2 - Legrous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leHyfjTtypk

Killer Instinct Arcade - Theme Song/Title Track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4EOwbV2KlM

Dark Cloud OST - Departure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxocyVr4-VM

That's all for now. Smile Smilie

More information coming in January, 2013.

Balrogs, I didn't want to post any links to 'Music suddenly got good again', so I'll instead post my reply unto this thread of mine.

I hope you'll catch it.

It's true that US has a lot to offer in terms of trash and death metal etc; but like you said, most good metal bands hail from overseas, from Europe and so forth.

If I'd have to name some countries, I'd definitely name Finland, Sweden and Austria (For the sole existence of Summoning).

By the way, since we're talking about metal here and it's always fun to advertise some little things, I'm currently a singer in one metal band.

But my goal for this year is to get myself back into singing and that means I've to find some band activity for myself. Two bands would be fine for the time being, but this time, I want to find a band that focuses solely on creating black metal. Fascinating genre all in all.

Here's a link to Mikseri (which is a finnish site), so I hope it works for you.

If not, head out to our MySpace and type 'Agarwaen'. Songs of our first demo should be found from youtube in days to come though.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/agarwaen/the-six-deadly-creatures/470286/

I dig it Oerath! Love the name too.

I definitely agree Finland and Sweden, but I'd say Germany over Austria if I had to pick three. Though that concerns mostly black and death metal. I love thrash because I love mosh pits, and for whatever reason thrash just hasn't really picked up in Europe. It's pretty big in the Middle East though, I think in large part because it's so "rebellious." Similar to the rise of punk in the late 70s. Thrash/punk is also surprisingly big in Russia, probably for the same reasons.

The main reason I listen to metal though is for the drummers. Nothing gets me going more than a series of blast beats with a powerful guitar line. I've come to accept screaming, but honestly I listen to the music when I listen to metal. A good example is Between the Buried and Me's Alaska album. The regular album is mediocre at best, but the instrumental version kicks so much ass!! Blotted Science is another one of my favorite metal bands. Completely instrumental, just pure talent.

But I LOOOOVE folk metal. I would give anything for Equilibrium to come tour in the states. I really don't like new Eluveitie and they're like.....the only folk "death" metal band to come here, love the old stuff but now it's too much orchestral singing. Like Therion, could never get into them. Love the music but way to much gregorian chanting. Not saying it can't be done, but it CAN be overdone. We do get some of the pirate metal bands, so those are always fun, but I'd love to see Profugus Mortis.

Atlanta, the city where I live, has an AMAZING local metal scene. One of the best I've found in the country actually. We have death metal to rival some of the best in Europe imo. Unfortunately it's near impossible to get recognized as a death metal band over here. But really we have an awesome music scene overall where I live...

One of my all time favorite groups is Russian Circles. They're kind of like classical infused with "technical doom" metal. I'd suggest listening to the song Station or 309 to get a good idea of what I mean. Most of their stuff sounds different, but they all have a clear metal influence. Composition and dynamic wise especially. The drummer is an amazing drummer too. Not necessarily for technicality (though he can play hella fast), but he's one of those drummers you have to BE a drummer to appreciate. It's the little things that he pulls off, you can tell he probably grew up playing a combination of funk and classical rock. Watch him in one of their Youtube videos and you'll probably see what I mean Big Smile Smilie

Ok I'll leave it at that.

Woah, lots of text to devour. Big Smile Smilie

It's getting late, so I don't have time to answer to the post as a whole, but I'll try my best.

So, I'm glad ya liked of our music. That song was off our only demo so far, 2010's 'The Six Deadly Creatures'.

The name.. Agarwaen isn't a bad name and I've read enough to know that Túrin used it partially as his name in Narn I Chin Húrin.

Now something about metal.

First off, I gotta say that I'm a very big fan of Therion. ^^

Classical music itself doesn't interest that much, but I enjoy watching opera shows every now and then from youtube and I've seen one live so far.

But symphonic metal, oh man, in terms of epicness, there's nothing better than well executed symphonic metal with massive orchestral features and strong classical singing.

Oh, Atlanta. I don't know any bands from over there, so you've to enlighten me about that. Smile Smilie

By the way, the reason I named Austria, is Summoning. (Which I may've told already..)

The band has some balls, if one listen to their music was enough to make me a hardcore fan, which happened like 7-8 years ago. They're my #1 band and that won't change ever.

Also, Austria is known for black metal and stuff, most of those bands being UG.

By the way, considering our band's music, I can assure you that our next demo will be a blast.

I've improved my sound and general selection of vocals a lot during the past years, and these days, when I drive my car, sing along to some song and record it with my poor phone, the vocals are almost suitable for proper recording.

Black metal is my only true genre, but I can change my singing voice in many ways and thus, I've a wide range of different vocals and styles to go on with.

Of course, being a self-trained vocalist has it's bad sides. I don't think I can truly harbor to master that many vocal styles without proper training.

When I've recorded my version of 'Beautiful Death' by Wintersun, you'll get to hear what my vocals sound like these days.

That's it for now. So, until the next time, Balrogs.

Hail and Kill!

And oh, I'm a drummer too, but I'm not that good, having practised little and I've played roughly for, um.. 8+ years, of which many years have been without evolving.

But I love drumming and I always focus partially on drums, when I listen to music.

My favorite drummer is Kai Hahto from Wintersun. I recommend you to check him out.

Also, give 'Beautiful Death' a shot. Killer drumming right there.

Oh, almost forgot..

Falkenbach - Heathen Foray.

Though pagan is the keyword.

Hi. My name is Elena and Arwen told me about this thread.

I'm a soprano singer and have done 2 LOTR/Hobbit videos out of about 30 total. I shared one in another thread but I thought I would share it here along with my latest upload of Ave Maria. I hope you like them.

The first one is my Hobbit video

The second is my Ave Maria video

Hello there, Elena. You've come to the right place.

I'm Oerath Windsoul and I manage this thread.

Considering your videos/uploads: if you've more stuff that you would like to share with us, feel free to share them on this thread.

This thread is a link free thread, as long as the links contain music, singing etc.

And oh, I watched both of your videos and I must say that I too like of your voice and considering your age, I think you've some real potential to become a successful singer/artist. I'm a singer too, but currently, all the material that I've to present, is the first demo of our band. It's black metal oriented music, so I doubt you'd even like of it. Smile Smilie

Anyway, that's pretty much it.

And oh, in case you missed my greetings on your own thread, here I go.

Welcome to Planet Tolkien.

PS. Both of your links led to your Hobbit Movie Soundtrack video, so I fixed the links. I hope you don't mind that I fixed 'em.

Thank you for fixing the link Oerath. I had quite a time trying to get it right. I will be sure to post my other singing videos here. I have two more where I am dressed as an Elf in them. One as a Elven Warrior dressed in black leather from head to foot. That look might work with your Black Metal. LOL. I could have fit on stage with Vesania. A picture of that outfit is in the bottom right of my YT channel, MissElenaHouse. Smile Smilie

I just listened to your Agarwaen link. There is a zombie theme there. I'm good friends with the Sonya Thompson, main Zombie for "The Walking Dead". We have done some acting together. She is even in some of my music videos. Once as a teacher and another as an ElfSmile Smilie

Thanks for the welcome.

Heh, Elena. It might fit to black metal, though plain black clothes, spike bracelets, corpse paintings and such things are usual stuff that you'd wear in a black metal concert, whether you're playing or just watching the show.

Now, back to zombies and our music.

Funny that you mentioned zombies. Our guitarist, who is also the frontman of our band, likes of horror movies, themes and such.

Though I helped him to write some of the lyrics of our first demo's songs, I don't often write anything concerning zombies or such, but I've surely written quite wicked and evil works during the years.

Take 'One Last Sane Thought' for example.

I also do hope that you found the music at least one bit enjoyable. Now that I think of it, if I could just re-do the vocals to all of those songs now, I could do much better than I did two and half years ago, when the demo was recorded.

If you want to hear an interesting song, I'd say that 'Ruins of The Abandoned Church' is in my opinion a song that shows most of my capabilities during that time. I also wrote lyrics to that song by myself and made all vocal arrangements.

But I've to admit that our second demo will sound a bit different compared to our first one, since I underwent a tonsil surgery a few months after the recordings and that surgery changed my voice a bit. These days, trying to hit such low growls/gutturals require some focus.

In the end, screaming, growling and other such harsh vocal styles are one of the most difficult singing techniques to learn and maintain. Many singers have lost their voices, 'cause of these singing styles, but I'll strive to keep mine.

For example, I always even sing while I drive. And though that way, I cannot put much power into my vocals, 'cause I'm sitting, it's still good in means of exercise.

Now, I'm going to end this post, 'cause if I'd continue, you'd have to read like two pages worth of text. When it's about singing and stuff, I always get interested.

Oh well..

Catch ya!

Here's my list of easy listening. These are all great songs and my personal favorites:

(in no particular order!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1upbgyd9lo - The legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oarej9z--E    - Masterpiece in it's simplicity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgtcrkI7R58   - Instant classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMGOQb2tE-0 - highly talented guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEH7cphEODk - The Jawdropper

that shall be enough for now ^^

Here is another LOTR music video. It's the one I wore my Elven Warrior leather in. I sing May it Be from the first LOTR movie, "Fellowship of the Ring".

Hope you like it! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ATsWkLDjas

May it Be

Greetings everyone, I've some very good news!

Summoning is releasing a new album, called: 'Old Mornings Dawn' in a week or so.

Whether you're a metalhead or not, be sure to check it out. I'm sure the album will be a killer.

Summoning is an Austrian Black Metal band. Since their formation in 1993 they have released seven albums and two EP's on Napalm Records. Their lyrics make extensive use of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth writings and mythology. (Taken from Wikipedia.org)

Here's the original news + link from Metalstorm.

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=20140

Be sure to support the best Tolkien themed metal band out there.

Hails!

I play the electric guitar, but I only know to play a few things which I learned on YouTube

Hello there! 

I've just introduced myself over at the introduce yourself thread and then i found this thread and felt a obligation to check in here aswell as this is a really awesome thread! 

I'm mainly a Bass-player and have been playing for about 7 yrs. I can also manage the saxophone and have been playing for about 13 yrs but haven't been practicing for the last 4-5 yrs. 

I listen to every kind of music ranging from death/blackmetal to electronica to aucustic pop. 
Atm I'm into funk and soul inspired hip-hop and neurosis style sludge/post-metal. 

Right now I play actively with two bands. A pretty classical Metal band with heavy Pantera influensed and a more experimental Post-Rock project. 

I'm gonna try to read the tread more thoroughly and listen to the stuff people have published here. 

Cheers! 

It looks like I'm the odd one here. I like classical and western swing, but that's just about it.
As far as my musical abilities go, I am currently learning how to play the fiddle and the guitar, but I want to be able to play all acoustic string instruments. I sing a little bit, but while I've heard worse, I need a lot of practice. I have just started learning how to yodel, which is surprisingly easy considering my other vocal abilities.

Listen a bit to the stuff folk have been putting up here! 

Elena, you really have a beautiful voice! I love the natural vibrato when you're holding out notes! In the video where you preform May It Be you almost sound like the British singer Sheila Chandra! 

Oerath, I like your band music! I Really like it when you shift into the more symphonic parts, and especially  when you do the more high-pitch classical black-metal vocals! Those are really awesome!

Welcome to Musician's Guild Therian, Galandir and Rudi!

I'm very delighted to see that this thread just got a few new members. Smile Smilie

@ Rudi: Thank you very much! I can do much better these days in terms of black metal singing, but I'm afraid that the years have affected to my ability to sing those high pitched screams. I believe that I can still do them though, but it may require some practise and rehearsing.

Thanks for listening to our music. We haven't been active for a long while, but that will change in near future. I haven't got myself into other bands either, 'cause I'm a kind of 'stick with one band' guy. I've my own projects, of course, but those projects need the two things that I lack at the moment. 

Money and gear. ^^

Please do tell more about your own projects and stuff, Rudi. I'm looking forward to it. Smile Smilie

- Oerath.

@Oerah, 

Yeah, working without the right gear can be a real pain. I put way to much of my monthly income directly into my pedalboard.

As to my projects. 

I play actively with two band at the moment one of them is a post-rock band called Snöhamn (translate to snowy harbour or something like that). With this band we're currently recording a EP of five songs (it will clock around 45 min so I don't know if you really can call it a EP..) all instrumental trying to get a mix of diffrent Post-rock sounds. Here's a live-clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1GJAsPOK6s

The other band i play with is a metalband called Shift sounding somewhat like a mix between Van Halen, Pantera and Rage Against the Machine. We haven't recorded in a looong while and then it was only a song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZPnRhhw_Tk) that's pretty far from the style we play nowadays. We got plans on recording an Ep this fall with newer material but it's hard getting everyones schedule to fit. I'll link a live-clip with some of the newer stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Hi2yRosSo

Listen and see how you like it! 

Cheers - Rudi

"House of Flying Daggers" movie theme song by Elena House. Smile Smilie

Hi everyone. 

We had so much fun making this video match the feeling of the movie. The song is titled "Lovers" and it is from the movie "House of Flying Daggers". We went to the state botanical gardens for most of it and used green screen for the rest. David Foster and Jackie Evancho did a wonderful version of this song with full orchestra and Japanese Taiko drums. An interesting mix for a song from a Chinese movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc75B0jjFoc

The Fifth Element - Diva Dance - singing and kicking butt.

Hi everyone.

This video took sooooo long to make. It took quite a while just to get the song down but then the video took forever to make and edit. 

After learning all the hand motions from the Diva in the movie we did some "alien" make up and filmed the singing in front of the green screen. Well we learned later that editing the green screen with a blueish green dress is quite a challenge. 

Dad choreographed the fight scenes of course and even let me beat him up like always, he he.  My friend Alex got in the the butt whooping and dad even made a Parkour scene for me. 

I hope you like it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqHPQ5UThM

Nice one, Elena. Sorry all you happy campers. Haven't had the time to keep this thread active.

So apologies are in order.

Anyway, I've something to rock your socks with.

Edited: 3/4/2014

Alright, edited my last post a little short, since it held a pretty old link to one of our songs.

There has been better versions of them for ages and ages, so here's links to two of our band's songs. We recorded another set of two songs last Saturday, but their mix and mastering is still on-going.

I expect those songs to be online sometime during weekend or at the beginning of the upcoming week.

Our current situation is that we've 9 songs that have all needed arrangements and 1-2 songs in the works. I also have 2 spare song lyrics at the moment, so things are going pretty well.

Anyway, a little about the music. It's heavy metal oriented, it has the groove and then there's the matter of my vocals that can - at times - be quite rough and harsh, but that's the purpose. I've found some stable ground from a set of vocals that I often use in our songs, but still, I like to throw different things into different songs.

Oh, the links. ^^ (It seems that I'm still that same old Oerath Blathermouth.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCUv5hS41UA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5otbBLZHM3g

Enjoy!

@ Rudi: Sorry for the so, so late reply. I remember checking your links out at the time you posted 'em. However,  I never commended on them, so I'm going to give those songs another listens later today and then let you know what I think about 'em. Smile Smilie

I just hope you're still hanging about the site.

I've been more or less absent on this site for the past 6-9 months than I care to admit, but now I've returned. So, those of you who would still like to join for some musical chats, this thread is open to everyone and to everything.

Your favorite genres, instruments, songs, bands and albums. You can talk about all that right over here - in this thread.

Cheers!

- Oerath.

<< [1] [2] [3]